The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

Default iBeam/Para vs. Ellipse Blend

I'll probably answer my own question here just by typing this, but your opinions are always helpful.

I have a Martin 00 with a Fishman Ellipse Blend. Lovely pup. I can use the mic to dial in a bit of air if I want, and whether I plug into my Loudbox or directly into my Yamaha PA it sounds great. No need for a DI.

Recently, I picked up an older model OM-1 here on the forum classifieds(Thanks Fred!). Great little guitar - and it will likely be my new workhorse. It has an iBeam in it. I played it at a couple of gigs this weekend and was very unhappy with the plugged-in tone. Well, no kidding. I need a Para DI or Gigpro or something to boost the signal.

So the Para DI costs about 50 bucks less than the Fishman Ellipse Blend. I'm thinking I should just get the Fishman and have the iBeam taken out. Maybe recoup the difference selling the used iBeam on the CL or the classifieds - assuming I can remove it without damaging it.

Then I'll have two smaller-bodies Martins with the same pick-up system, making it much easier for me to haul the proper gear regardless of which guitar goes with me to the gig. I think I've got it now. Am I missing something? Thanks.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:05 AM

Default Vote

After 2 years of using the Baggs IBeam Active in my Martin D41, I finally yanked it for a Fishman Infinity paired with a Aura Spectrum DI. Can't tell you how much better the amped tone is. The IBeam did nothing but sound thin or feedback. I could never get any real volume without seriously sacrificing tone. Even with the Para Di and other high quality pre's I just never could get the IBeam to sound right.

I've been at this music thing for a bit now and I embarassed to say I'm just starting to understand that pickup choice has everything to do with the style and setting you will be performing in. SBT's like the IBeam sound great in moderate to low volume situations where light/med strumming and fingerstyle are used. However single source straight to PA systems really are going the way of the past. Multi-Source pickups and good tone shaping control seem to be where players are going to get the best tone's.

2004 Martin D41
2006 Guild D40

"The Future of Whistling"......Daniel Duncan
Old 05-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Thanks Daniel,

Ideally, I'd just use a condenser mic. But some rooms (read: most rooms!) are too noisy, with too much sound bouncing around.

Your post convinces me I need the Fishman even more. I do some heavy strumming while singing on most gigs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification