The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Question Fishman Loudbox expansion?

I've got a Fishman Loudbox 100 I've been gigging with for a couple years. Love it.

Have any of you expanded this by attaching a powered speaker or additional Loudbox? Is that possible? Any suggestions?

I figure if there's a way to attach another quality powered speaker - or even a second Loudbox, I'd be able to use this for solo gigs either outdoors or in larger venues. But I'm not clear about how all the inputs/outputs on the back function.

Thanks in advance. You guys are always a ton of help!
Old 05-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffcharli View Post
I've got a Fishman Loudbox 100 I've been gigging with for a couple years. Love it.

Have any of you expanded this by attaching a powered speaker or additional Loudbox? Is that possible? Any suggestions?

I figure if there's a way to attach another quality powered speaker - or even a second Loudbox, I'd be able to use this for solo gigs either outdoors or in larger venues. But I'm not clear about how all the inputs/outputs on the back function.

Thanks in advance. You guys are always a ton of help!
The Fishman Loudbox 100 is a fine little acoustic amp that I've owned. What you can do is take your mix that you've dialed-in to your satisfaction, and, via the rear-panel Mix D.I. (Post) jack, send this already-mixed signal to the line input of a powered speaker or send it one of two ways to a second Loudbox 100:

1) Send to the secondary (Slave) Loudbox 100's Channel 1, via the 1/4" jack of Channel 1, which may give you a hot enough signal to work with, but if it doesn't, go into Channel 2, via the 1/4" jack or XLR input--depending on your primary (Master) Loudbox 100 D.I. output. On the second (Slave) Loudbox 100, be sure to set all EQ controls Flat and make sure the Digital FX Levels are set fully counter-clockwise. Set your second Loudbox 100's Input Gain so it flashes only on high peaks and adjust your Master gain to balance the output of both your primary (Master) and secondary (Slave) Loudbox 100 amps.

OR

2) You can also try using the Aux Input on the second Loudbox 100's rear panel and set its overall volume to balance with your first Loudbox 100's volume by adjusting the front panel Aux Level and Master knobs.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 05-02-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

The MIX DI output (post) has a 18 dB pad. That signal will usually be closer to mic level than line level. It is also a balanced signal. It would seem more appropriate to connect it to the balanced XLR input on Channel 2 of the 2nd (slave) Loudbox 100.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
The MIX DI output (post) has a 18 dB pad. That signal will usually be closer to mic level than line level. It is also a balanced signal. It would seem more appropriate to connect it to the balanced XLR input on Channel 2 of the 2nd (slave) Loudbox 100.
You're probably right! I never tried expanding my Loudbox 100 when I had it. Nice catch!

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Default Thanks!

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for & I think a secong Loudbox might be on my "buy" list.

Best!
Old 05-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

Question Or better yet, a powered speaker?

I'm only bringing this back-up because I wanted some input as to whether a powered speaker - like a single QSC K8 might be a better option that a second Loudbox. Looking through a number of threads here I see a lot of folks have a preference for powered speakers. The second Loudbox would be sort of redundant, though I could see having it as a back-up.

A powered speaker - if I understand correctly - would also be useful for expanding the power/volume of my Yamaha PA. Yes, no?

Thanks again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification