The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-29-2010, 04:03 AM

Default Stupid Amp vs PA question

Hi all guitarrific fella,

I am an always unplugged guy and thinking of plugging my guitar in.
I read another thread the other day discussing Taylor ES system better being plug to a PA system rather that to an acoustic amp.

So the straight forward question is : What is the difference between a PA and an Amp ?

Enlight me please.....

2010 VAOM-04
2012 Custom Secco Guitar

2013 Collings OM2H

2014 Cordoba Fusion 12 Natural

YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/hendragunawanng
Old 04-29-2010, 02:40 PM

There are a bunch of differences. Here’s one of the big ones. An Amp will have a dedicated “instrument specific” speaker or speakers. However, a PA will have speakers that are more universally balanced so that they can be used for instruments, vocals or just for speaking.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:00 PM

Typically, there are always exceptions, a PA amplifier has lower distortion and the frequency response of the PA speakers span a greater range. Some guitar amplifiers have a bass response that begins to taper off just above the guitar's low E while many PA speakers have a bass response that doesn't begin to drop of until well below that low E. Guitar amplifiers that don't have a tweeter have poor dispersion in the upper frequencies and a treble response that falls off sooner than PA speakers.

And it wasn't a stupid question.

Last edited by Herb Hunter; 04-30-2010 at 04:25 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:25 PM

Thank Herb and 15Man,

Now I know what I most probably need to buy. I'll go with an Amp then. Probably a Roland AC33

2010 VAOM-04
2012 Custom Secco Guitar

2013 Collings OM2H

YouTube Channel
Old 04-30-2010, 08:49 AM

Would you mind telling me how you came to that conclusion using the information you received above?
Old 04-30-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
Would you mind telling me how you came to that conclusion using the information you received above?
Hi Bob,

I have always want to get Roland AC33 due to the small size. I play at home mostly. When I saw that other thread regarding PA, it kinda distract me and make me think I should get a PA instead.

I prefer an instrument specific gear as I will just use it to plug in my guitar. So, usage purposes, size, affordability and availability (choice is very limited where I live) all drive me toward that Roland. Also most importantly my local dealer only have one left it stock and re-ordering takes month. So a quick decision is needed and I took mine base on the limited input.

But you never know, once G(ear)AS strikes again, I might end up getting a PA too.

2010 VAOM-04
2012 Custom Secco Guitar

2013 Collings OM2H

YouTube Channel
Old 04-30-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendra View Post
Hi Bob,

I have always want to get Roland AC33 due to the small size. I play at home mostly. When I saw that other thread regarding PA, it kinda distract me and make me think I should get a PA instead.

I prefer an instrument specific gear as I will just use it to plug in my guitar. So, usage purposes, size, affordability and availability (choice is very limited where I live) all drive me toward that Roland. Also most importantly my local dealer only have one left it stock and re-ordering takes month. So a quick decision is needed and I took mine base on the limited input.

But you never know, once G(ear)AS strikes again, I might end up getting a PA too.
Makes sense to me. Thanks for taking the time and best of luck with the AC33. That's suppose to be great for what you want to do.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15 Man View Post
There are a bunch of differences. Here’s one of the big ones. An Amp will have a dedicated “instrument specific” speaker or speakers. However, a PA will have speakers that are more universally balanced so that they can be used for instruments, vocals or just for speaking.
While most modern electric guitar amplifiers have speakers designed specifically for electric guitars, acoustic guitar amplifiers do not. Speaker requirements for the accurate reproduction of an acoustic guitar are the same as for speakers designed for other purposes so acoustic guitar amplifiers typically don't have guitar specific speakers. I'm not aware of any speaker that was designed expressly for acoustic guitar reproduction.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification