The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-02-2006, 08:53 PM

Talking Want to venture into Recording

Well i'm a new-guy to this forum. I've far less experience with guitar than many of you on this board, but I want to begin learning how to record, write music, sing etc. So here's what I got...

I'm 20, I've been playing around 16 months

I've got a Martin D16Gt (and an extremely cheap fender acoustic/electric)

A New 2gig Macbook. I'm extremely new to using Macs and will be learning it while learning about recording.

I've been reading/browsing and searching this forum throughout the day and really enjoy it. There seems to be a lot of great people and information here, so I'm planning on making it a habit to stop by as often as possible.

Ok

- So, I need to learn the garageband program, which I found a decent manual online that should help some.

- What type of Mic to use?

- Various pluggins needed to attach mic/guitar to my computer?

-Should I add electrics to my guitar? Look into purchasing an acoustic/electric guitar? Can I record my guitar using a mic? how would it change the quality of the music, and by how much?

-What would be the best route to record? Via my computer or getting a small multi track recorder? (i've barely searched but saw some around $500 which I could save a bit and invest in)

As you can see I'm nearly clueless on the subject, and have only been researching it for a few hours throughout the day.. I have been wanting to do this for a few months though, and am just finding the time to really jump into it.

I think that covers my main questions about getting started for now.

All suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!
Old 10-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I use a Tascam US-122 that connects to my computer via the USB port. It records in stereo if you wish with two xlr mic inputs (phantom powered). It also has left and right 1/4" jacks and a midi port. Its fairly inexpensive and works fine for me. I have two condensor mics, a Sterling ST-31 and a MXL 991 which I usually use to record. I have an LR Baggs M1 active pickup, but I don't use it to record because you hear every little squeak on the strings. I can't mention the price of the Tascam but I can tell you that it and the mics are well within your budget. The key to my setup I found was the computer itself. I was using an old PC running Windows 98 so I finally broke down and got a new Compaq Presario - the cheapest computer I could find that I trusted the brand. All I do on it is surf the net and record music so the 120 GB drive is big enough for what I do. With the old computer I had to use my software's EQ and compression features. Now I just record it naked and it sounds fine. If your computer is kinda old you may want to upgrade it soon. I know that Fostex (I think thats the brand) makes a couple of fairly inexpensive dedicated standalone recorders so check them out too the MR8 and MR8HD, but I don't know how well they work or how user friendly they are.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-03-2006, 07:05 AM

I also use a Tascom US-122, it allows you to go USB into your computer. There are some newer fire wire devices, if that floats your boat...
I use a Shure PG58 mic.
And a free software package called Audacity to record.
Pretty cheap setup, but I have been very happy with the result.

I have heard nothing but good things about Mac's and Garage band.

I use to use the "mic" input on my laptop, but the Tascom has made all the world of difference.

Good luck, welcome to the board.
Yamaha 365S (1980 ish)
Taylor 110, 2004
Martin DC-160GTE
Old 10-03-2006, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Hi TheBrent...

First of all, welcome to the group.

This interface is a great package with good software and plenty of features. My gigging partner has one, and it works great.

Lexicon Lambda - click

I prefer interfaces to stand alones for several reasons. More quality in the preamps, easier to edit and overdub, ability to dial out latency (time lag when doing multi-track) and phantom power are the main reasons I prefer them.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-03-2006, 08:43 AM

Hey Larry,

Thanks for the link... question, if the unit is USB powered, how does it provide phantom power? Is there also an AC adapter for such?

thanks,
adam

http://www.youtube.com/ayavner

2006 Martin OMC Aura (Laurelin)
1998 Martin HD-28 (Telperion)
Epiphone WildKat w p90s and Bigsby!
1997 Rickenbacker 360/12V64

Dearly Departed:
1981 Yamaha FG 335
Alvarez AJ60SC12
Regal RD35 Roundneck dobro
Old 10-03-2006, 09:13 AM

Mark and Lj, thanks for the responses!

Well I definitely have a TON of work to do haha. I've got to learn what half the things are that you guys are talking about. Like I said, I want to get into recording, I have little to no knowledge on how to go about it so some of the things you guys mentioned left me a little confused... I don't know what all the equipment does, or how it works, or which pieces I actually need (as a hobbyist). I really am learning from scratch so the terms that are being used i'm still unclear about. I'll try my hardest to keep researching so that I can figure this out and I appreciate the help so far. I'm currently looking into the products you guys suggested so I can figure out what the do and what they are haha.

What do you guys think about my guitar situation? Should I add electrics to it?
Old 10-04-2006, 01:25 PM

First of all - another plug for the US-122 and yes, it does have a phantom power switch.

As for electrics I'd say 'go for it' because it will give you options for adding effects etc. and of course will always be useful for live gigs. You'll get plenty of recommendations on which type. I'll start by recommending a Fishman Rare Earth soundhole pickup. Good luck

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Lag Autumn CE Jumbo - Nashville strung
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e
Old 10-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayavner
Hey Larry,

Thanks for the link... question, if the unit is USB powered, how does it provide phantom power? Is there also an AC adapter for such?

thanks,
adam
No, it gets the power from the computer. All I have plugged into the US-122 is the USB line. That's probably why it needs USB 2.0

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-05-2006, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raystrack
First of all - another plug for the US-122 and yes, it does have a phantom power switch.

As for electrics I'd say 'go for it' because it will give you options for adding effects etc. and of course will always be useful for live gigs. You'll get plenty of recommendations on which type. I'll start by recommending a Fishman Rare Earth soundhole pickup. Good luck

awesome! As much as I wanted to buy a new guitar, It would be a bit outlandish for me to at the moment.

How much should the equipment and install be (total)? I don't want to spend over $300 just for pickups..
Old 10-05-2006, 12:56 PM

just a little update. I started playing with garage band the last 2 nights, and I've had SO much fun with it. It will definitely take me some time to master it, but I know its going to be an enjoyable process.

I really wanna get the pickups added to my guitar, I'm ready to plug that sucker in. I also want a mic, my Mac has a built in microphone that's a joke (expected).
Old 10-05-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrent
awesome! As much as I wanted to buy a new guitar, It would be a bit outlandish for me to at the moment.

How much should the equipment and install be (total)? I don't want to spend over $300 just for pickups..
If your only adding the pickup so you can record, I would wait and try the mic out first. Your going to need a mic for vocals anyway...
I have the pickup option open to me, but I always record using a mic. Depends on your music type as much as anything else.
Yamaha 365S (1980 ish)
Taylor 110, 2004
Martin DC-160GTE
Old 10-05-2006, 01:03 PM

WOW. the rare earth pickup is about $330-$370. That's gonna break my bank account after install...

Do you guys think that is worth installing into my guitar?

once again D16-GT
Old 10-05-2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm2553
If your only adding the pickup so you can record, I would wait and try the mic out first. Your going to need a mic for vocals anyway...
I have the pickup option open to me, but I always record using a mic. Depends on your music type as much as anything else.

So that mic can be used for recording my guitar and still sound fairly decent?

(i'm only doing this for a hobby and have no intentions of putting out CDs or even performing on stages) could all change in the future, but most likely in the far future if it happens..
Old 10-05-2006, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrent
So that mic can be used for recording my guitar and still sound fairly decent?
Yes, I use a Shure PG58 and am very happy with the result.
Yamaha 365S (1980 ish)
Taylor 110, 2004
Martin DC-160GTE
Old 10-05-2006, 01:11 PM

The Rare Earth Blend is pretty nifty, but you can get a terrific sounding pickup for a lot less. Many folks like the K&K Pure Western Mini, which requires no battery or preamp inside the guitar, and can even be used without an external preamp.

Try Doug Young's pickup test site http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptest.htm and you can get any idea of the variety of pickups out there.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell