The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-25-2020, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default Decibel Meter

I've been doing a lot of recording at home lately, and I'd like to keep my hearing. I think I'm monitoring at a low level, but a decibel meter would keep me honest. I'm looking for something that's easy to use, not too expensive, and something I can take in my car too and other places to see what kind of decibels I'm exposed to. Recommendations?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 05-25-2020, 06:39 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Got an iPhone? Decibel X.

Otherwise, HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-25-2020, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

There are a bunch of inexpensive ones on Amazon. I bought one for about $15 a couple of years back. It works fine.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-26-2020, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Bob & Jim. This is good.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 05-27-2020, 09:20 AM

I still have my RadioShack DB meter. Years ago I checked a RadioShack dB meter agains an impressive looking OSHA one and the readings were exactly the same. That was what inspired me to buy my own.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

lkingston--RadioShack no longer has these. I'll get a different one. Thanks for your reply.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:33 AM

The problem with really cheap meters (such as the Radio Shack ones) is that they usually do not measure any levels below about 65 dBA, and they can be inaccurate. In terms of potential hearing damage you want to keep your exposure below 85 dBA on an eight hour daily average. That is the OSHA threshold for concern in the workplace. I often recommend budget meters from www.extech.com/categories/sound-meters/. Not as cheap as an app but they give decent and repeatable accuracy.

I recently bought a $149 external mic (MicW i437L) for my iPhone and use an app called SPLnFFT for $5. Combined they agree pretty well with my $6K professional-grade sound meters and are used as my backup. (I always have my phone but don't always have my sound meter kit with me). The on-board iPhone mic is pretty good too. The external 1/4" mic allows me to use my calibrators to set the sensitivity and verify accuracy.

As an aside, given the way your ears are built internally listening to high frequencies burns out the ability to hear highs. When listening to low frequencies you burn out everything across the spectrum. In other words, excessive sub woofers are bad for your ears. [off soapbox]
Old 05-27-2020, 11:52 AM

I also have SPLnFFT. Really good for the price.

Glad to know it compares favorably with the professional equipment. I seem to recall some years ago it asked me to calibrate it once at the beginning in a (hopefully) silent place. Took only a few moments and it was ready.

Last edited by ac; 05-27-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:11 PM

Yes, the SPLnFFT software wants to self-calibrate in a quiet space for the on-board phone mic. I believe that an internal reference signal gets compared to the mic input. (It wants to set the mV/Pa -- millivolts per Pascal of pressure level). It takes a certain amount of time for the detectors and pre-amp circuits to settle down. I notice that on all my meters, especially using the slow time constant. When switching to a lower range, I have to wait a few seconds for it to catch up before taking any data.

Before selecting an app for myself, I read several technical papers and attended workshops at Acoustical Society of America conventions. SPLnFFT came out on top, but several other apps were close. I have field tested some other apps and they were abysmal either in terms of noise floor or repeatability.

I would not use my iPhone and MicW as an expert witness for a court case in place of my traceable annually certified meters that are field checked for calibration before each set of measurements. But it is good enough for informal survey purposes - and handy. Sometimes you need a cheap pair of binoculars and other times you need the Hubble Telescope.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Earl and AC, Thanks for the info. I've already purchased the RadioShack meter from Ebay that Bob recommended.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:17 PM

That should work nicely for your purposes, Karen.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD