The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-13-2024, 01:50 PM

Default Comcast…question for the electronically knowledgeable

About two months ago, when turning on my Samsung TV (connected to a Xfinity box) the screen would freeze on the last program (channel) we were watching. No channel guide, no voice commend and couldn’t change channels. I’d have to unplug and reboot the box and then things would be ok.

Half a dozen unsuccessful calls (“everything’s fine on our end”), three new Xfinity boxes replacement HDMI cable and a hour long service call and still having the problem.

I just now exchanged the main box with one of the smaller ancillary boxes thinking that might do the trick. No dice…same issue on the Samsung.

Could it be something in the TV that is causing this?

And, yes, I know there are alternatives to Comcast and I’m exploring but would like to solve this problem now.
Old 02-13-2024, 02:02 PM

I would try to recreate the issue on a different TV
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 02-13-2024, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Is it a smart tv? Sounds a lot like an OS crashing.
Old 02-13-2024, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Brooklyn View Post
I would try to recreate the issue on a different TV
I did exchange the box to another (dumb) TV and it did not repeats the issue.
Old 02-13-2024, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
Is it a smart tv? Sounds a lot like an OS crashing.
Yes, it is a smart TV. Not sure what “OS crashing” means??
Old 02-13-2024, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

The operating system. Like when your phone locks up or computer crashes. Maybe there is a way to do an update on the tv operating system? Look in the settings and see if there is an update? I wouldn’t know if you can do anything like re-install the operating system on a tv, like you might after a fatal system error on your phone or computer.
Old 02-13-2024, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
The operating system. Like when your phone locks up or computer crashes. Maybe there is a way to do an update on the tv operating system? Look in the settings and see if there is an update? I wouldn’t know if you can do anything like re-install the operating system on a tv, like you might after a fatal system error on your phone or computer.
Thanks…I checked settings and all provided updates have been installed.
Old 02-15-2024, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

If you are using a surge protector, try plugging the tv directly into the wall socket and see if the problem goes away. If it does, replace the surge suppressor.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Google 'samsung tv clear cache' and follow the instructions to clear the cache and data.

My guess is that the tv has an issue with one or apps. Clearing the data and cache should clear it up.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:58 AM

Your home network can make more difference than is often realized, or than we care to admit.

Lots of insights come from my work and what we did at home. My work team supports around 40 who work from home, and the whole enterprise gives a lot of home support to hundreds of people. From that we often see the devices the ISPs give or rent are not so great, or people have home router/bridge/AP devices that are absolutely craptacular technology. Putting in the top devices, meshed WiFi, now more and more WiFi 6 has helped with some issues.

We have a lot of success suggesting or installing Ubiquiti Amplifi line for staff. That's a home office brand from a firm that makes enterprise grade stuff. The WiFi radios are good. Cisco Meraki is best but more expensive and requires ongoing licensing.

One way to test can be your cell phone. You can do the hotspot or screen sharing. Just personally I had a recent incident with our cable ISP where I showed devices worked better with the Verizon wireless network than their cable, and I proved the point was their cable modem, nothing we own.

It is a bit tedious, but for what I'm trying to explain, set up your item not working well as if your phone is the router.

Good luck.

P.S. The Amplifi and good gear let you speed test at the point of the ISP and eliminate what they might question as your problem. It did take reaching supervisors to believe that with our ongoing cable problems.
P.S.S. If the problem is your ISP and they don't fix it ask for a supervisor and in a nice way say you will be contacting your city's regulator or contact for the monopoly they've been granted.
Old 02-16-2024, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Check back in when you can and let us know how it goes. Always curious to hear the outcome once an issue is resolved...

Last edited by TheGITM; 02-16-2024 at 02:13 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic