The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-22-2018, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

If the tone isn't your normal perfect, adjust it on the fly as best you can without being obvious about it. Smile and play. Enjoy the situation. If the sound was great once, you know you can get that back, even if it doesn't happen that gig. If no one came up to you at the end of the brunch and said, "Is there something wrong with your equipment?", it was a good gig.

My wife actually asked, "Is there something wrong with your amp?" during a break at a gig that turned out to be very different from the way the situation was explained to me when booked (years ago). The amp I was using just wasn't up to the task. Apparently, she didn't think I could hear the difference.

The people liked it. I was asked back for their next event. I brought more capable equipment (and plenty of extension cord). Not one person said, "That was way better than last time!"

I know you'll find the settings that please you. Again.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:56 PM
Guest 928

If you sing very very badly, people won't even notice the guitar.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
If you sing very very badly, people won't even notice the guitar.
That’s always worked very VERY well for me!
Old 12-23-2018, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
That’s always worked very VERY well for me!
Me too! Fortunately, my wife does most of the singing and she sings very well. Which is good because people are generally paying attention to her and not the fat guy playing guitar!
Old 12-23-2018, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Better day today. Used the X7 and it got by. I tried an old trick I learned from jazz guitar master Tuck Andress. I was talking to him after a show and we were talking about how he gets his great tone from his vintage Gibson L1 and he shocked me when he said, "I stuff old socks into the guitar..."! So I started thinking overnight if I just rolled up a nice hunk of foam and stuffed it into the soundhole but down a bit so it's not seen by anyone but me that might help.

And it did. There was still a little boxiness but it was not as bad as the day before. One other thing I noticed that it was worse for me standing just to the left of the QSC. Out front it was not nearly as noticeable or bad. And no one seemed to notice or care during the show, which went very well. That was show five of five so we are officially on vacation. No gigs up until February 9th unless something pops between now and then. Looking forward to just having the next week off with nothing to do but spend quality time with family.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Foam sound hole buster

Old 12-23-2018, 12:56 PM

Now how are you supposed to get any feedback problems with the stuffing installed? My old school center hole X7 sounds great plugged is... I have a piece of 1/2 PVC pipe propping up the top like a violin post as the top was caving in a little on the early guitar with a redwood veneer. Sounds crappy unplugged but really good plugged in.. not real acoustically , but nice and rich and deeper than it should. Has a BBand barn door set up. Bass is awesome .
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by kramster; 12-23-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

I have yet to have much of any problem with feedback anyway but this little tip got me thinking that I might try to find the right size and density of a foam ball and just keep it in the gig bag for any occasion this might be needed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber