The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-03-2015, 05:43 PM

Default adam Audio A 7 to Neumann KM120, not by choice !!

I've had a lot of nice speakers in my life, hifi, home theater, and studio monitors, and I really like ribbon tweeters, no harsh highs or ear fatigue. Bought a pair of Adam Audio A7's years ago for my home studio along with an Adam sub and I love the setup.

Yesterday one of my A7's died and I discovered as well respected the speakers are, servicing them or getting parts is a nightmare and a lot of companies are dropping the German speakers. So..........

After finding out I couldn't get the speaker serviced, did a day of research, including visits to GC and Sam Ash, lots of auditions in the $500-1000 each range and ordered a pair of Neumann KH120s.

Guess I'm in a German speaker rut..........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 04-04-2015, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Rich

Aloha Rich,

I would say that you're in the "Very Good"monitor rut. Of course, in mid to high-end audio, it's hard to beat German-made products. And Neumann doesn't put its name on anything that isn't at least very good, especially since it purchased K&H's fine line of monitors.

I had a pair of Adam A7's that I liked when they first came out. One speaker pretty quickly developed some problems that I could not get fixed by Adam. Because I liked Adam monitors, I got a pair of the A7X's when they came out. That model was a real sonic improvement (better balance, stronger bass & incredible depth & sound-staging for the money) over the A7's & fixed some of the issues that'd plagued people w/ A7's. Still going strong after six years, knock on Koa.

If/when the A7X's crap-out, I'll probably go with The Neumann KH-120's which I have auditioned & really like (no need to spend more for what I do - not recording much these days). Of course, Neumann's warranty will probably mean more in terms of service options than Adam's on monitors. Adam makes really good monitors, but they are dumb to not back up their service end of the deal, huh?

All the best, Rich.

alohachris
Old 04-05-2015, 07:00 AM

Chris,

I LOVED my A7's, ribbon tweeters really are easy on the ears during long sessions, have the A8 sub too.

When my A7 went I was ready to upgrade to the improveed A7X, but they were "on backorder" or our of stock, then I started hearing the same thing everywhere I went, fantastic speakers, terrible service records, impossible to get parts...I researched all the major players in the $500-1000 each range.

To my ears the Neumann's sounded uncolored and I love their microphones, KMS 105 has been my vocal stage mike forever, so I went with what I know and a company I trust.

The biggest audio repair company in Dallas said the gave up on Adam, just can't get parts, so it was time for a change, the 120's will be here Wednesday, I'll be satisfied if I like them as much, they don't even have to be better, just comparable............

Old 04-05-2015, 07:56 AM

Love those A7s and fortunately mine are stil going strong. If and when they do crap out (hope it will be awhile...knock on Brazilian Rosewood ), I'll have to check both the A7Xs as well as these Neumanns.

Thanks for the heads up Rich.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Love those A7s and fortunately mine are stil going strong. If and when they do crap out (hope it will be awhile...knock on Brazilian Rosewood ), I'll have to check both the A7Xs as well as these Neumanns.

Thanks for the heads up Rich.
I don't get it, Adams are spectacular speakers (as you know) but their repair record and parts availability is terrible. I auditioned the A7X's, I'd say a bit better than the A7's, so great speakers, but I really like the Neumanns and they don't have the negative back end issues, so I made the switch.

Don't know what I'm going to do with one A7 ?!?

Old 04-05-2015, 08:58 AM

I keep posting KM120, that's one of Neumann's microphones, duh, the speakers are KH 120s.........

Old 04-05-2015, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
I don't get it, Adams are spectacular speakers (as you know) but their repair record and parts availability is terrible. I auditioned the A7X's, I'd say a bit better than the A7's, so great speakers, but I really like the Neumanns and they don't have the negative back end issues, so I made the switch.

Don't know what I'm going to do with one A7 ?!?
Adam Audio filed for insolvency (Germany's equivalent of bankruptcy) late last year. It emerged shortly thereafter after being bought by an investment firm.

Here's a Gearslutz thread:

Adam Audio Troubles

Good choice on the Neumann KH120. If I didn't already have adequate monitors, I'd be looking at them too.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

I had pretty much decided On the KH 120's but made the mistake of listening to some Amphions and in true GAS ended up spending twice the money.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-05-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Adam Audio filed for insolvency (Germany's equivalent of bankruptcy) late last year. It emerged shortly thereafter after being bought by an investment firm.

Here's a Gearslutz thread:

Adam Audio Troubles

Good choice on the Neumann KH120. If I didn't already have adequate monitors, I'd be looking at them too.
Interesting, I figured something was going on, and a shame because I love ribbon tweeters, but once bitten.........time to try something else.

Unless I really get into serious recording now I'm retired, the Neumann's should more than fit the bill, reviews are very good, I liked how they sounded, time will tell...........

Old 04-05-2015, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Interesting, I figured something was going on, and a shame because I love ribbon tweeters, but once bitten.........time to try something else.

Unless I really get into serious recording now I'm retired, the Neumann's should more than fit the bill, reviews are very good, I liked how they sounded, time will tell...........
If Adam Audio fully recovers, it is quite likely you will be able to get parts to repair your one monitor. Then, you can sell a functioning used pair, or task them for something else. Even now, they may have more value than they otherwise would have (i.e., if parts and service were readily available) to someone who wants spare parts for their set.

I ordered extra speakers for a one pair of monitors I have direct from the Italian manufacturer just in case they stop making them at some point in the future. As to the internal power amps and other electronic items, I'm at the mercy of Quested. Last I checked, they still have spare parts here in the US (and in the UK) for both sets of Quested monitors that I use.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD