The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-31-2015, 12:16 AM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent
Default L/R Sample Delays - Perception Change

So, I know there's probably some very sound (sic) reasoning behind this but...

Let's say I record a acoustic guitar track (in Logic) and add a stereo sample delay, little bit longer one side than the other, it 'widen's the perception of the track... but why does it change the apparent volume level? The VU meters show it's playing back at exactly the same level in both L/R but the delayed side SEEMS to be quieter. If I pan to balance, perceptually, then the meters show an imbalance.

Just wondering...
Old 03-31-2015, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Good question. I do not know the answer. I have some guesses.
It could be simply a function of the way the algorithm is written.
But I would think it may probably be more of a psychoacoustic effect.

I have noticed in general for example if you take any stereo track delayed or not and pan it in so both the L and R are panned to the same position, it sounds louder. And conversely the further you spread them the more noticeable the perceived volume drop.

Some questions
First it sounds like your putting the delay on the audio track itself, as opposed to having it be a parallel effect ?
Have you tried using the delay parallel instead (on its' own track that you send the audio track to?) and see if the same thing happens ?

And also is this track a mono or stereo track to start with ?

Lastly if you like the effect but prefer the sound "panned to balanced. Then in that case just let your ears make the final decision.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-31-2015, 08:45 AM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

So, turns out it's the Haas Effect... which is based on the 'precedence effect'. That is to say, whichever sound hits your ears first takes precedence and allows us to 'localize' the sound source... psychoacoustics indeed.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationAngel View Post
So, turns out it's the Haas Effect... which is based on the 'precedence effect'. That is to say, whichever sound hits your ears first takes precedence and allows us to 'localize' the sound source... psychoacoustics indeed.
If you'd like to play around with the Haas effect a bit, try this Apex Audio plugin...it's cheap and quite useful.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
If you'd like to play around with the Haas effect a bit, try this Apex Audio plugin...it's cheap and quite useful.
Cool, thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
It's really really hard to remember/process/accept that we don't hear with our ears. We hear with a whole system of transducers, filters, processors, and interpreters strung out between our ears and our brain.

It's also extremely valuable to understand that most of what goes on happens outside of any conscious control or affect. So knowing about the Haas effect doesn't make it possible to ignore the result.

With these ideas in mind, it's not disrespectful to be skeptical of what someone reports that they hear, it's simply realistic. And we should be equally skeptical of what we "hear" ourselves.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 03-31-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
It's really really hard to remember/process/accept that we don't hear with our ears. We hear with a whole system of transducers, filters, processors, and interpreters strung out between our ears and our brain.

It's also extremely valuable to understand that most of what goes on happens outside of any conscious control or affect. So knowing about the Haas effect doesn't make it possible to ignore the result.

With these ideas in mind, it's not disrespectful to be skeptical of what someone reports that they hear, it's simply realistic. And we should be equally skeptical of what we "hear" ourselves.

Fran
Not quite sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing

My issue was always with hearing the balance go out of whack when using sample delay. The meters suggested that the balance was right. But I could A/B it and hear it, every time. Both sides. Off/on. Always a change in perceived balance. Going to be reading up on this effect some more, that's for sure because it sure is intriguing.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post

Fran
While more or less true you forgot arguably the most important element
It is also not disrespectful to suggest that in fact we as individuals do not hear exactly the same. That what is true, for what you hear and don't hear, may not actually apply to what someone else hears, real or imagined. So I would suggest that what we ourselves hear or do not hear, may not be completely relevant or accurate for comparison as to what others may hear.

And none of above serves to change the fact that in mixing when it comes to the stereo field placement, by far the best determining factor is to close ones eyes and hear what is going on.

That said, and if I remember correctly the Haas effect is about perceived localization not perceived loudness. As far as I know the only mention of loudness in Haas being relevant, is that the second sound can be louder (up to a certain amount of db's) and still not change the initial perceived location determined by the first sound. So unless I have missed some further information (entirely possible) it would seem Haas may not be sufficient to explain any perceived loudness difference of the second sound.

BUT given Haas there no reason not to pan to suit ones individual perception of "balanced loudness" because up to a certain point the localization will not change from the initial location.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 04-01-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Not quite sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing

My issue was always with hearing the balance go out of whack when using sample delay. The meters suggested that the balance was right. But I could A/B it and hear it, every time. Both sides. Off/on. Always a change in perceived balance. Going to be reading up on this effect some more, that's for sure because it sure is intriguing.
I didn't realize there was a point to disagree or agree with. It's not like Haas effect is an opinion (grin).

Fran
Old 04-01-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
While more or less true you forgot arguably the most important element
It is also not disrespectful to suggest that in fact we as individuals do not hear exactly the same. That what is true, for what you hear and don't hear, may not actually apply to what someone else hears, real or imagined. So I would suggest that what we ourselves hear or do not hear, may not be completely relevant or accurate for comparison as to what others may hear.

And none of above serves to change the fact that in mixing when it comes to the stereo field placement, by far the best determining factor is to close ones eyes and hear what is going on.

That said, and if I remember correctly the Haas effect is about perceived localization not perceived loudness. As far as I know the only mention of loudness in Haas being relevant, is that the second sound can be louder (up to a certain amount of db's) and still not change the initial perceived location determined by the first sound. So unless I have missed some further information (entirely possible) it would seem Haas may not be sufficient to explain any perceived loudness difference of the second sound.

BUT given Haas there no reason not to pan to suit ones individual perception of "balanced loudness" because up to a certain point the localization will not change from the initial location.
If you think about it for a moment, a single element can only move in location by changing perceived loudness from one side to the other. Which brings up another key point: loudness is not an objective measurable, it's a subjective response. We have tools that can approximate human loudness perception, but it's not something that can be measured precisely like power or volume.

The point of my rambling is that hearing is more psychoacoustic than most of us recognize, even those of us who try to keep psychoacoustics in mind when listening.

Fran
Old 04-01-2015, 02:31 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Here's the upshot: Your hearing can be steered by level and by time. The Haas effect demonstrates that, levels being equal, the nearest iteration will be prioritized by the brain. This can be used in a mix if you want the guitar to seem to exist across the front of the ensemble but want it to be perceived on the left, put the original, direct sound on the left and a delayed sound on the right. The brain will hear it as a mostly left-located sound but it will fill things out and keep the levels equal.

Another application: Back in the day I was mixing a piece with a mono guitar lead over an ensemble. At one part in the song I wanted the lead to spread across the entire sound stage without being too loud. I learned to pan the guitar to the center and add a slightly delayed copy panned outboard to each side. The center-stage original took precedence but the two delayed copies filled out the sound stage nicely.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-02-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Here's the upshot: Your hearing can be steered by level and by time. The Haas effect demonstrates that, levels being equal, the nearest iteration will be prioritized by the brain. This can be used in a mix if you want the guitar to seem to exist across the front of the ensemble but want it to be perceived on the left, put the original, direct sound on the left and a delayed sound on the right. The brain will hear it as a mostly left-located sound but it will fill things out and keep the levels equal.

Another application: Back in the day I was mixing a piece with a mono guitar lead over an ensemble. At one part in the song I wanted the lead to spread across the entire sound stage without being too loud. I learned to pan the guitar to the center and add a slightly delayed copy panned outboard to each side. The center-stage original took precedence but the two delayed copies filled out the sound stage nicely.

Bob
Always appreciate the practical application you bring to this site, Bob. Thanks! I've tinkered with this but never understood fully 'why' it did what it did. Much appreciated.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

Bob
Actually I have seen this used and tried this technique for lead vocal as well.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD