The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-24-2015, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Default Audient iD22 interface to compete with Apogee Duo but adds Windows

Apparently Audient has lowered the price on their highly touted iD22 interface to $599 now competes with Apogee Duet for affordable high end interface. And they have released drivers for Windows 7 and later.

With Burr Brown 24-bit /96 kHz converters and 2 class A mic preamps

http://audient.com/products/id22

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-25-2015, 08:20 AM

Does anyone have one of these? I would like to know what the sound quality is like. My choice for a small usb interface is the Lavry AD11. I like Lavry products, and I have no problem with the sound. What I don't like is that there are no digital inputs.
Lets say you usually use your two channel interface for spaced pair. But now you want to sing - with the right digital I/O, you should be able to simply add another box. Or a friend comes over and brings his. If manufacturers would get adat smux, and spdif optical and coax on as many interfaces as possible, it would really help with compatibility issues.
So my question is: How many channels of 24/96 can we get down usb?
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 03-25-2015, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

First off, there is no question Lavry are excellent converters and given that the AD 11 is 3 times the money and is an AD only unit, that should indeed be case. So you are currently using the AD11 then ?
I do not know how many channels of 24/96 you can run on USB

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 03-25-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
First off, there is no question Lavry are excellent converters and given that the AD 11 is 3 times the money and is an AD only unit, that should indeed be case. So you are currently using the AD11 then ?
I do not know how many channels of 24/96 you can run on USB
I mention Lavry because that is what I have. But I see no way to chain the Audient and the Lavry, because as mentioned previously they don't have matching I/O. It can be done. I have a cheap focusrite soley for the purpose of chaining units, but I would rather have something better like another Lavry, Babyface, or this Audient.

I think that for a very minimal cost, manufacturers could add enough digital I/O to make most units alot more likely to chain.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 03-26-2015, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Apparently Audient has lowered the price on their highly touted iD22 interface to $599 now competes with Apogee Duet for affordable high end interface. And they have released drivers for Windows 7 and later.

With Burr Brown 24-bit /96 kHz converters and 2 class A mic preamps

http://audient.com/products/id22
That's good. I don't know why Apogee hasn't developed and released drivers for Windows computers. Seems like a small task for a likely large increase in hardware sales.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
I mention Lavry because that is what I have. But I see no way to chain the Audient and the Lavry, because as mentioned previously they don't have matching I/O. It can be done. I have a cheap focusrite soley for the purpose of chaining units, but I would rather have something better like another Lavry, Babyface, or this Audient.

I think that for a very minimal cost, manufacturers could add enough digital I/O to make most units alot more likely to chain.
Actually a number of manufactures do provided more I/O albeit often via digital on their "interface" models. It looks as if Lavry is actually in fact one of the more limited in this. Not to mention the fact that most manufactures also provide both the A/D And D/A in the same box.

Why couldn't you just come out of the Lavry optical/out and go into the optical/in of the Audient. ? In other words just place the Lavry in the position of the "(8 Optional Mic/Line Inputs via ADAT) unit at the bottom of this picture of suggested setup.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 03-27-2015 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Actually a number of manufactures do provided more I/O albeit often via digital on their "interface" models. It looks as if Lavry is actually in fact one of the more limited in this. Not to mention the fact that most manufactures also provide both the A/D And D/A in the same box.

Why couldn't you just come out of the Lavry optical/out and go into the optical/in of the Audient. ? In other words just place the Lavry in the position of the "(8 Optional Mic/Line Inputs via ADAT) unit at the bottom of this picture of suggested setup.
Because the Lavry does not have optical output. You would have to have an optical converter box, and hope it does not affect the signal. You are correct that it is very limited in that regard.
All I am saying here is that if a unit has digital out, it should not be a huge expense to have it on a greater variety of formats.

For example, check the focusrite 18i8. It's about one fifth the price of the Lavry, and about half of the new price of the Audient, and it has a better selection of digital I/O than both of them.
The cost apparently is not so much in the I/O, and it would make this type of interface so much more versatile if most of them could patch to most of them.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 03-27-2015, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
Because the Lavry does not have optical output. You would have to have an optical converter box, and hope it does not affect the signal. You are correct that it is very limited in that regard.
All I am saying here is that if a unit has digital out, it should not be a huge expense to have it on a greater variety of formats.

For example, check the focusrite 18i8. It's about one fifth the price of the Lavry, and about half of the new price of the Audient, and it has a better selection of digital I/O than both of them.
The cost apparently is not so much in the I/O, and it would make this type of interface so much more versatile if most of them could patch to most of them.
Interesting ? My mistake I was on the Lavry web sight and clicked on the link for AD11 "user manual" but did not realize it mistakenly shows the AD10 manual which has an optical output. Kind of confusing. So it looks like if you are wanting to up grade your Focusrite, you will have to find a unit with either an AES or SPDIF input, in either in XLR or RCA or

In answer to your general question. All manufactures produce products that they think will sell and be competitive. All manufactures must choose what feature set to offer, at what level of quality of components used, at what price point they are targeting . As you add features included in the box (at any given price point) one of two things will happen either it gets more expensive or compromises must be made in the quality of components to maintain a price point.
That is basically inescapable

One more thought if you like the sound of the Lavry, then what about simply overdubbing the vocal thus keeping the quality of the Lavry ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 03-28-2015 at 08:15 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD