The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-13-2015, 08:40 PM

Further to this thread: I used the iXY into my iPhone using only the Voice Memos app that came with my phone. I then imported into GarageBand in my iMac mostly to boost the gain (using compressor and eq). This is the result. Pretty darn good for a simple rig:

https://soundcloud.com/da-colonel/carolina-ixy-iphone
Old 03-13-2015, 08:51 PM

Could you have done the same with using garage band on your iPad?
Old 03-13-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockguy475 View Post
Could you have done the same with using garage band on your iPad?
Probably -- but I'm not as used to Garageband iOS app. You have to increase the number of bars (it defaults to only 8) and I'm not as familiar with the eq and effects, but that is the next task.. Obviously, straight into GarageBand on the iPad is the preferred method. But it's nice to know I can use the iPhone. I can't download the Rode REC app to my iPhone because it's a work phone. That is unfortunate, because the Rode app allows you to increase the input gain, whereas the Voice Memos app does not. That's why I had to import into GarageBand (and it also explains why the volume on the short YouTube thing I posted was so low).
Old 03-14-2015, 12:48 PM

For anyone who'd like to record serious music on the iPad with whatever mic, guitar, bas or keyboard I seriously recommend buying the Alesis IO Dock for iPad and buy Auria for iPad too.

The docking station support jack and xlr input with Phantom power, midi in/out and have adjustable gain Input.

It's only got two inputs, but for most people that's enough, I think.

Auria is the most complete, relatively easy to use DAW available for the iPad with support from professional plug-in developers, although those are only available via in-app purchace.

The full Auria support up to 48 tracks, and there's an Auria Pro with unlimited tracks coming in the spring. The only thing missing in Auria now, is serious midi support, but that's coming to Auria Pro too, along with a host of other great features.

There's a free version available with a smaller number of tracks if you want to check it out.

All the music on my SoundCloud account in my signature is recorded and mixed on my ipad exclusively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My tracks on SoundCloud (Lønhart Duo):

YouTube page:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZT...HIR4tGnwhusf8w

Taylor 324
Martin DX1AE
Gretch G5420T Electromatic
Aria Pro II Cardinal Series 250
Old 03-14-2015, 01:45 PM

It doesn't seem to officially support iPad mI I, which is what I have.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
It doesn't seem to officially support iPad mI I, which is what I have.
I can't see why it wouldn't, though..
If it doesn't sit as snug and tight in the dock as a full size ipad, you can buy a lightning/usb connector cable and just prop the mini up in a case or similar besides the dock.

As long as you can get it connected, it ought to work fine. The hardware on an iPad mini is powerful enough to use Auria.

Other than that, there's a host of other USB music interfaces out there that'll work, some with more inputs as well. There're mostly built for desktop computers, but as long as it's a Legacy USB interface they'll work.

"Legacy USB" means that it doesn't need specific drivers to work.

My tracks on SoundCloud (Lønhart Duo):

YouTube page:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZT...HIR4tGnwhusf8w

Taylor 324
Martin DX1AE
Gretch G5420T Electromatic
Aria Pro II Cardinal Series 250

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD