The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-04-2019, 10:27 AM

Default Guitar Storage - medium gauge ok?

I'm really enjoying my OM shaped guitar these days. Consequently my HD-28 is spending a lot of time hibernating in a humidified case. I don't want to sell it, as I'm sure I'll get back to the dreadnaughts at some point, but given my recent obsession for OM's, it may be a while.

Any reason to put lower tension strings on it while being stored for a while? That guitar in particular is fairly blah until it gets medium gauge, then it really comes alive. Can medium gauge strings cause cause belly bulges, bridge issues, etc more so than light gauge over time??
Old 05-04-2019, 10:29 AM

I've never seen any need/reason to do so. Keep it ready and tuned as that's how it was made. It doesn't matter if it's hanging on a wall, sitting on a stand or hiding in its case.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:38 AM

I would detune any dread with medium strings that's been put away for long-term storage.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:42 AM

A guitar doesn't know if it is either in storage or being played every day. It is designed to be comfortable with constant string tension, so have no fear-leave it as it is.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:13 AM

Personally, I would drop it down a half step or so if it was going to be spending all it's time in the case.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I'm really enjoying my OM shaped guitar these days. Consequently my HD-28 is spending a lot of time hibernating in a humidified case. I don't want to sell it, as I'm sure I'll get back to the dreadnaughts at some point, but given my recent obsession for OM's, it may be a while.
Any reason to put lower tension strings on it while being stored for a while?...
My D-35 has stayed in the case since I got the E20-OM, too. I don't know if I will get back to it.
In 1999 it needed three loose back braces re-glued and the bridge top shaved. I don't know if string tension or normal aging caused it, but I went to light strings after that as they are easier on the hand.
I tried mediums on it again last month and took them off right away. I know the dreads are made for the tension, but I am not :-)
Old 05-04-2019, 12:50 PM

De-tune the guitar for long storage. Just enough to take hard tension off. a Half step.

Neck Blocks, do not rotate all by themselves, and bridges do not lift by magic, and sound boards don't just warp, string tension causes it.

Ed
Old 05-04-2019, 04:03 PM

If you plan on storing the guitar for six months or longer, lowering the tuning somewhat might be a good idea. But if you're storing it for less time than that, I would leave it tuned to concert pitch. Martin dreadnoughts are designed with medium gauge strings in mind. They won't hurt it.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion