The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-01-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Hi Chunky. Can I help you with this? No need to reply, just couldn't help but reply to you given that mine's for sale.
Don't tempt me. I've looked at the pictures of your GXi many many times. It's a true beauty, and I've racked my brain trying to think of ways to get it from you.

I was able to get my Shorty at a great deal. I had played the GXI and was totally blown away by it. It just wasn't an option at the time. I really like my Shorty, but it is a little lacking in the low end, and when I really get to strumming it hard, it kind of dies a bit. It sure is great for finger picking though. And it's so comfy to play.

But I certainly can't afford another $1k+ guitar right now. And since I know you're not interested in trades, I probably can't help you.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 11-01-2012, 06:43 PM

They really have for me. I absolutely love wood, especially on guitars, I continue to gawk over them constantly. But the fact that I get a tone I love, excellent (and unchanging) playability, and the ultimate plus of not having to worry about temperature and humidity, I don't see myself buying a wood acoustic unless I became wealthy (and thats not looking very promising).
2012 Fender American Standard Strat
2015 Fender American Standard Telecaster
1965 Fender Mustang (Original)
Squier Vintage Modified Mustang Bass
iPad2 w/SetListMaker
Old 11-01-2012, 08:44 PM

Not in the least.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
Not in the least.
Can you tell us what your background is when it comes to CF guitars?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
Can you tell us what your background is when it comes to CF guitars?
I've yet to see one that I would care to own. I might one of these days but not so far. Doesn't preclude others from feeling different.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:31 AM

Obviously, any AGF can post here. However, I don't understand why anyone who has never owned a CF guitar would bother posting in this thread. It is very obviously aimed at people who own (or have owned) CF guitars. If you have never owned a CF guitar, it is pretty obvious that carbon fiber has not "ruined you for wood guitars".

This is the "Carbon Fiber" forum, not the general Acoustic Guitar forum. We understand that many (most?) guitarists don't care for CF guitars. If this were posted in the general forum, these responses would be appropriate. However, this forum if for people interested in CF guitars and this thread, in particular, is aimed at people who own (or have owned) CF guitars. For someone who has never owned a CF guitar to post in here, in particular to post a simple "no" or "not in the least" without even mentioning that they have never owned a CF guitar, just seems inappropriate to me.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Obviously, any AGF can post here. However, I don't understand why anyone who has never owned a CF guitar would bother posting in this thread. It is very obviously aimed at people who own (or have owned) CF guitars. If you have never owned a CF guitar, it is pretty obvious that carbon fiber has not "ruined you for wood guitars".

This is the "Carbon Fiber" forum, not the general Acoustic Guitar forum. We understand that many (most?) guitarists don't care for CF guitars. If this were posted in the general forum, these responses would be appropriate. However, this forum if for people interested in CF guitars and this thread, in particular, is aimed at people who own (or have owned) CF guitars. For someone who has never owned a CF guitar to post in here, in particular to post a simple "no" or "not in the least" without even mentioning that they have never owned a CF guitar, just seems inappropriate to me.
I kinda agree.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:

A saw the question while perusing "new" posts and answered it. It's a public forum. Next time put a "CF owners only" qualifier in the post if you are that offended.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:

I see what you're saying, but I don't totally agree. People are constantly posting about Taylor vs. Martin vs. Gibson vs. etc. You'll see people posting about how Taylor's so much better than anyone else, and you only see Taylors in their signature. This applies to all the manufacturers. This may be because they've never tried anything but Taylors. It may also be because they've tried everything, and truly feel that Taylor's better than everyone else.

Not having owned a CF guitar may be due to not having ever seen or played one. It may also be due to playing many CF guitars extensively and never having found one that you liked, or something like that.

I'm a huge fan of CF guitars, and will probably never buy another wood guitar. But I don't want to shun anyone who doesn't already own one. Otherwise, how will our numbers grow.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 11-02-2012, 10:51 AM

"I don't want to shun anyone who doesn't already own one."

I agree, I also don't want to shun any guitarist who shows interest in CF guitars. If I came on too strong, I apologize; that was not my intent.

I guess the problem is that the intent of the thread seems obvious to me: how many CF guitar owners are no longer interested in wood guitars or have no intention of buying wood guitars? If someone has never owned a CF guitar, it doesn't make any sense (to me, anyway) to say that they're still interested in wood guitars. Of course they are. It's pretty safe to say that every guitarist who only owns wood guitars is still interested in wood guitars.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:46 AM

Thumbs down CarbonFibre 'Footprint'?

Aero/Auto frames,gunstocks,nano-tubes etc........O.K . Accoustic Guitars, just no way!
Old 11-02-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
On a recent post about innovation someone posted that Carbon Fiber guitars have caused him to loose all interest in wood ones.
Yeah, right... That'll be the day. When they make a CF guitar that sounds like high end wood, looks like high end wood, ages like high end wood... THEN I might think of it as something that could possibly take me away from wood occasionally.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
All due respect, this is the "Carbon Fiber" subforum of a much broader actual forum. One is a member of the AGF (Acoustic Guitar Forum), not a member of the CFF (Carbon Fiber Forum). This entitles them to post anywhere on this site, with any opinion they have, regardless of whether or not you think it's appropriate. They have an opinion, they have expressed it. It's not your place to demand a resume and purchase history from someone because they have an opinion in one of your threads.

While personally, I have owned one carbon guitar (which I later sold), and played a fair number more. I like them, but not enough to forsake wood.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmds View Post
All due respect, this is the "Carbon Fiber" subforum of a much broader actual forum. One is a member of the AGF (Acoustic Guitar Forum), not a member of the CFF (Carbon Fiber Forum). This entitles them to post anywhere on this site, with any opinion they have, regardless of whether or not you think it's appropriate. They have an opinion, they have expressed it. It's not your place to demand a resume and purchase history from someone because they have an opinion in one of your threads.

While personally, I have owned one carbon guitar (which I later sold), and played a fair number more. I like them, but not enough to forsake wood.
I clearly stated that any member of AGF has the right to post here a few posts back. Just because someone has the right to post doesn't mean they should post in every thread that comes along.

This is not a "do you like CF guitars?" or "do you think CF guitars are better than wood guitars?" thread. It is asking if CF guitars have made people give up on wood guitars. What sense does it make for someone who doesn't like CF guitars or has never owned one to say "no, CF guitars haven't ruined me for wood guitars"? Their answer is a given. It is clearly "no", so what value does their answer give to this particular topic?

If someone says a simple "no", what can we take from that? If it's someone who has owned CF guitars, it has meaning. It might mean "I like what CF brings to the table, but I still prefer wood". That answer would add value to the discussion. However, when the no is because they don't like CF guitars or have never tried one, what value does that provide to this particular discussion?

The point of this thread is that many people who convert to CF go all the way and don't want to own wood guitars anymore. However, many of them still love wood and own both. The OP was trying to determine where CF owners stand on this particular topic.

Those of us who own CF guitars understand that many/most guitarists have no interest in CF guitars. The point of this thread is not to get their opinion on CF guitars. It asks a specific question and that question implies something very specific, which is that they have owned or have extensive experience with CF guitars.

One of the advantages of having a Carbon Fiber forum here is that we rarely have to put up with the anti-CF bias so many guitarists have anymore. Please tell me what value this statement adds to this discussion:

"Aero/Auto frames,gunstocks,nano-tubes etc........O.K . Accoustic Guitars, just no way!"
Old 11-02-2012, 03:41 PM

Probably not a newsflash that musicians tend to be dogmatic. (Just a little)

I used to own an Adamas and thought it sounded nice. It was an older model and I found the electronics a little limited. There have been several updates to the pre-amp since then. I might consider one if they'd offer a UST+AST option.

I tend to be a one-off kind of guy, which isn't always the most conducive to graphite components.

That being said, I still have this:

and these

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber