The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-09-2008, 12:46 PM

Default wanting to buy a new mic

hey guys i am looking to buy a new mic mainly for recording acoustic guitar and vocals rite now i have a sm 57 and a audio technica at4040.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:01 PM

i have an sm57, 58, and an AT2020. My next purchase is going to be a matched pair of Rode NT1-A's. I've heard them before and sound really good, even though they're at $550 for a matched pair.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by element studios View Post
hey guys i am looking to buy a new mic mainly for recording acoustic guitar and vocals rite now i have a sm 57 and a audio technica at4040.
What do you hope this new mic will do for you? What's missing with the mics you have now?

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 05-09-2008, 03:43 PM

the mics i have the now are great and have a nice full sound to them but the thing that is missing is some high end without being harsh
Old 05-09-2008, 03:46 PM

condensers will give you that nice sparkle that youre probably looking for in an acoustic guitar. if its just guitar + vocals, 2 on guitar and 1 on vocals will give a nice ambience. but when you mix other things i hear it works better to have the guitar as a more mono track.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
the mics i have the now are great and have a nice full sound to them but the thing that is missing is some high end without being harsh
Describe your usual mic position, please. How far is the mic from the guitar? At what part of the guitar is the mic pointing?

Fran
Old 05-09-2008, 07:48 PM

Default A Great Mic.... Imo...

A great mic for vocals and recording acoustic guitar is:

Audix SCX 25

Check them out.

I own one and LOVE it!

Collings; Taylor; Don Grosh electric; Collings Electric; Taylor K4
Old 05-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

I use a AKG Perception 150 and a Rodes NT-5, they are both pretty good for what I do (just a home hobbyist).

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 05-10-2008 at 05:33 AM. Reason: wrong NT model #
Old 05-10-2008, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Describe your usual mic position, please. How far is the mic from the guitar? At what part of the guitar is the mic pointing?

Fran
i have the at4040 just to the left of the sound hole back about a foot or so. Then i mess about with the sm 57 usually i would put that at where the guitar neck and body meet pointing at the sound hole
Old 05-10-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarNz View Post
i have an sm57, 58, and an AT2020. My next purchase is going to be a matched pair of Rode NT1-A's. I've heard them before and sound really good, even though they're at $550 for a matched pair.
IMHO there is not a better recording mic for the money! If you can only afford one, then get it! The NT1-A has the lowest internal noise of any microphone I have ever used, and compares with mics 5X its price! The sound is accurate and clean. The only requirement is that your preamp must deliver 48v phantom power.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 05-10-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
IMHO there is not a better recording mic for the money! If you can only afford one, then get it! The NT1-A has the lowest internal noise of any microphone I have ever used, and compares with mics 5X its price! The sound is accurate and clean. The only requirement is that your preamp must deliver 48v phantom power.
Yep, any condenser I believe requires phantom power. After I heard the NT1-A in action I was like - I must have! I only wish I could afford another microphone for really nice vocals.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Yep, any condenser I believe requires phantom power. After I heard the NT1-A in action I was like - I must have! I only wish I could afford another microphone for really nice vocals.
Why not use the NT1-A for vocals? That is what I use. Of course, it took me a little time to adjust to it because it is so accurate and sensitive you can hear bubbles on your teeth! It really helped me to clean up some vocal problems I wasn't aware of prior to recording with it! LOL

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 05-10-2008, 09:39 AM

Well what I want to do is have 2 (matched pair) on the acoustic guitar, which leaves me with the 57/58/2020 for vocals, and the 2020 probably sounds best because I use a firepod, with no adjustable high / low settings. I guess it will be cool though to use some variety on mics, get a different sound for different songs. I'm pumped!
Old 05-10-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Well what I want to do is have 2 (matched pair) on the acoustic guitar, which leaves me with the 57/58/2020 for vocals, and the 2020 probably sounds best because I use a firepod, with no adjustable high / low settings. I guess it will be cool though to use some variety on mics, get a different sound for different songs. I'm pumped!
I have found that the NTs are so sensitive that a pair will pick up the guitar and vocals together. I use an EV and SM58 on my guitar (panned hard right and left) and the NT1-A on voice (centered). When all three are on during a solo take, the NT1-A picks up quite a bit of the guitar with the EV and SM58 just providing stereo depth/space.

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 05-10-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
i have the at4040 just to the left of the sound hole back about a foot or so. Then i mess about with the sm 57 usually i would put that at where the guitar neck and body meet pointing at the sound hole
You might be surprised at how big and rich a single mic sounds. Perhaps place the AT4040 12-18" from the 12th fret, pointed slightly toward the soundhole, but only slightly. Record the same mic into both channels if your mixer allows such routing, otherwise convert the mono track to stereo in post. Adjust the position and distance until you're happy with the sound.

Then try just the SM57. Place 57 8-18" from the lower bout, pointed just below the bridge, and record just that mic, adjusting the position until you love the sound.

Then try recording both at once.

I should have asked earlier, what style do you play? Are you strumming, flatpicking, or fingerpicking? All my experience involves fingerstyle, so my positions may not be ideal for strumming.

Fran

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell