The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 05-29-2020, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
Wow I had lost track of him and didn't realize he was dead. I really liked his first album with Tim Weisberg, Twin Sons of Different Mothers. He kind of got typecast as a too sensitive singer of girl songs, but he could rock out when he wanted to.
They had another album together: "No Resemblance Whatsoever" 1995.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 06-02-2020, 05:54 AM

Dan is/was/always will be, one of my favorite artists. I was crushed when I heard he had been sick and passed away.

Anyways, if you're on Spotify, the Carnegie Hall live album is there.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Dan is/was/always will be, one of my favorite artists. I was crushed when I heard he had been sick and passed away.

FYI it’s also available on Qobuz.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post

I just got the Carnegie Hall LP set yesterday. I’m looking forward to being able to play along once I have a few of his songs under my fingers.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:52 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Some thoughts about Dan...

It was the fall of 1976 and I was studying at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, in the Humanities department. Remember when we went to college to become educated, thinking people? I was in the middle of a classical education: Attic Greek from the golden age of Athens, philosophy and logic, History, Art History, Trigonometry, Calculus. I was also bouncing between schools. The year before I was at a small Liberal Arts college and I would return there the next year. In between I was getting in some prerequisites and working a night job as a lab tech at an environmental engineering company, sitting in a freezing computer lab and staring for hours down the barrel of a microscope until the wee hours doing data reduction for nuclear plants. I walked everywhere on the hilly campus with my books in a backpack. It was kind of a lonely existence. But I digress.

Between morning classes and my night shift I had enough down time to do my evening homework. I had discovered that tucked into the corner of one of the upper floors of the John C. Hodges library was a music collection and listening area scotched up against a window wall. You would go to the desk, look through the binder of current records, select a couple, and ask the technician to hook you up. He'd grab the records, hand you a pair of Koss ProAAA headphones, and mutter something like, "You are on channel G." You'd scurry back to the special carrels, dump your books, plug in, wind the rotary switch to channel G, and wait for the crunch as the needle dropped. Then you could lean your chair back so you could look out the window wall over Melrose Ave and let the music wash over you. I got this routine started in the early fall and was able to watch the colors change and eventually the leaves fall as the season progressed.

It was an interesting time in music where there was a lot of really good music coming out. It was also a time before recording engineers had really figured out what to do with the high frequency EQ so many did nothing at all with it. The result was some really round, smooth sounding albums. The two albums I most remember from that experience were Dan Fogelberg's Souvenirs and Linda Rondstat's Hasten Down the Wind. Linda was beautiful and her pop voice was at its peak. But Souvenirs was a guitarist's album. Dan was a great guitarist and was one of the two first artists managed by Irv Azoff. The other artist was Joe Walsh. Irv packed the pair into his station wagon with a promise that he'd get them a record deal and drove them both to L.A. For a while, all three of them lived in the station wagon until Irv did indeed get Joe a record deal. When he got Dan his deal he turned to Joe to produce the album and, in turn, Dan turned to Joe to play many parts on it. I was, and am, an admirer of Joe's work. Like I said, it was a guitarist's album. This was Dan's first album when he'd really been able to spread his wings and Joe brought in his pals to play on the songs as well. At that point in his career, Dan painted in lyrics as a painter chooses oils. You could close your eyes and see where he was going. He'd spent some time in Tennessee and had developed a love for the mountains and you could feel that as well.

I listened to that album for months. My fresh mind could actually study higher math and listen to music at the same time. I eventually bought the album and learned every song I could. I recently go a digital copy. To this day when I put on one of those songs I remember the long lonely afternoons in the music lab, staring out over Melrose and watching the fall colors change. Those are mellow, sweet memories.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-02-2020, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Wonderful story Bob thank you so much. There is something to be said for the warm and fuzzy feeling evoked from the memory of a needle drop on an LP that was such a major part of our life experiences.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Nice post, Bob W.

I was in high school at the time, trying to figure out the meaning of life from song lyrics.

I guess this album and Late for the Sky came the closest.....
Old 06-02-2020, 03:34 PM

It's a pity he was taken at 56. I remember hearing he was sick, then he said good by to his fans, then gone... I guess my fave was "Same Old Lang Syne".
Old 06-02-2020, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Dan was one of my very favorites... wonderfully-accomplished guitarist and pianist. Think I saw him live 5 or 6 times and enjoyed every show. He died way too young.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:21 PM
Musical minimalist

I "found" Souvenirs" and "Twin Sons" about the same time in '78 - it was kind of a rebirth for me to acoustic music after being a huge Croce/Chapin/Denver fan in the early to mid 70's.

That album was so magical, literally within a few weeks I had everything he'd recorded up to that time. "Netherlands" really grabbed me too.

I never got to see him live, but bought the "Greetings from the West" DVD and used to play it for my clients.

A close friend of him had his old dorm room at U of I - and apparently there was a mural on the wall that Dan had painted while he was there.

I will definitely have to check this out.

Old 06-02-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Thanks for posting this! I didn't know about it either. Fortunately, it's on Spotify.

I saw Dan several times from solo to full band. Always hated the magnetic sound of his acoustics (sunrise pickup I believe). It was especially clear when Janis Ian opened one of the show with her black Taylor which sounded fantastic. But Dan was always great, so it didn't really matter.
Always loved Dan's work, but never had the chance to see him in concert. Do you remember when you saw Janis Ian open for Dan? I doubt she was playing a Taylor, she usually played Martins or a Ryan until Santa Cruz made her first signature model for her in 1994. The first ones were flat black (spruce over rosewood), the newer ones are natural. All are small, cutaways with her Rude Girl fret and headstock inlays and sound amazing!

These were taken at a Living Room concert in 2011. (Sorry, I can't figure out how to rotate the picture of her two guitars.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0014.jpg (29.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0043.jpg (33.6 KB, 67 views)
Old 06-03-2020, 09:34 AM

i was an early Fogelberg fan, being from Central Illinois. His father was the band leader at Pekin High, the next small town from where I lived. "Leader Of The Band" was always a local favorite due to the connection with his father.

I first saw him live in Peoria Illinois where Leo Kottke opened for his band. Suzy Bogguss played between Kottke and Fogelberg, but Dan was the big ticket, of course.

I later relocated to Urbana, Illinois and many of my friends here used to go watch him play solo at the Red Herring coffee house located on the University of Illinois campus.

I still often play Fogelberg's "Crow" which is one of his masterpieces of songwriting.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:05 AM

I always enjoy when Janis is brought into the conversation.
One of my personal treasures is a handwritten copy of her song “Jesse”,
that I took along to a concert hoping for an autograph.
I stood in line for 20 minutes at the meet & greet, and when she saw the page, before I could even ask,
she reached for the paper saying .. “Whatcha got there?”
She looked for a moment, then picked up a pen, corrected a few chords,
and with a gracious smile simply said.. “There ya go.”
I didn’t get an ‘autograph’, but I have her handwritten corrections.
Luvit!
She is sooo coool!!!

Back to Mr Dan.
My personal favorite is the “Captured Angel” album.
Helped me through a dark year.
I pretty much wore out my vinyl, so I bought another fresh copy,
and yet kept playing the first copy cuz the scratches and fuzz was part of what ... well, perhaps you know.

We just don’t know the good, the uplifting and healing we can bring to ourselves and others by playing these little wooden boxes.
Janis and Dan have certainly helped soothe some bruises,
and inspired me to (hopefully) do the same in my humble way.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:42 AM
Charter Member

FYI.....Amazon does now have a few copies....at least CDs of the Carnage Hall Concert. Mine is in the mail
Old 08-12-2020, 07:36 PM

If you don't have the Carnegie Hall CD, it is a MUST for any Fogelberg fan.

I was a fan early on, from 1973. He was truly a stellar songwriter.

When I first started playing out with acoustic guitar and voice, I played half a dozen Fogelberg songs. They always went over well.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Tags
dan fogelberg