The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-31-2020, 03:26 AM

Default Buying a new mic, which one?

Hi,

I have been playing for a while now, and I just started recording youtube videos of myself.

Currently, I just use the iPhone for audio and video.
I would like to increase the audio quality just a little bit without breaking the bank.
So, what would be your best bet:
  • Buying a zoom h1 or H2
  • Buying a Shure SM57 and connecting it to my Yamaha THR10

both of the alternatives would be connected to a DAW in my PC for editing.

So, what should I do?

Last edited by Vacaloca; 07-31-2020 at 06:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-31-2020, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Do you mean you would record with a Zoom on to the built-in SD card, and then copy the audio to the DAW? If so, that's what I would recommend. Get a boom mic stand so you can place the Zoom recorder where it captures the best sound, edit in your DAW and then sync the audio to the video captured on the phone.

Lycka till!
Old 07-31-2020, 06:35 AM

Yes, if I went with the Zoom option, I would record it to an SD and then transfer the audio to the PC.

Probably the simplest option.

I just want to make sure I am not cheating myself out of audio quality by not going with a Shure (or a similar mic).

Thanks for your reply!
Old 07-31-2020, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Given the THR10 has no mic pre and thus is not really a viable option for mic recording (It can however be used with a guitar with a pickup) and plugged direct in .

IMO No reason to not go with the Zoom. Not only are it's built in mic's as good or probably better than a 57 for overall fidelity , but it can record stereo.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-31-2020, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacaloca View Post
Yes, if I went with the Zoom option, I would record it to an SD and then transfer the audio to the PC.

Probably the simplest option.

I just want to make sure I am not cheating myself out of audio quality by not going with a Shure (or a similar mic).

Thanks for your reply!
I too think the Zoom option is the better one, and depending on budget maybe consider the H4n pro or even the H5 as these have better preamps than the H2n.

The good thing about the Zooms or other similar recorders is you are able to easily change recording room / position and offer a future upgrade path if you then get one or two decent mics.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 07-31-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
I too think the Zoom option is the better one, and depending on budget maybe consider the H4n pro or even the H5 as these have better preamps than the H2n.
A lot of great information in here!

I am actually considering getting the H4n pro, but I have not been sure there would be a big enough difference between the H1 and the H4 to warrant the difference in price.

But I take it your opinion is that there is a significant increase in audion quality to be had by choosing the H4n pro?
Old 07-31-2020, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Hi Vacaloca.

I stasrted my You Tube channel eight years ago, recording number or my trio to learn from - they never bothered to watch them!

Back then I was using a Zoom Q3, and NOTHING ELSE!

Since then I have upgraded to a Zoom Q4 - and nothing else, apart rfom buying a very cheap lighting rig.

I record in my conservatory - glass walled lean-to on my house mainly in daylight.

I do not editing or sophisticated methodology.

I asked my following (now over 3000 subscribers) whether they would prefer that I got educated and learnt about editing and stuff and they all said that they liked the simple and "honest" delivery and that they felt it intimate and friendly.

I'm still using that Q4 with excellent attached condenser mics. It stands on a small tripod about 1.5-2 metres from me.

However I have deliberately avoided ALL monetising options.

Below there is a link to my YouTube Channel. Have a look and see what you think, and whether you could do that and then develop your style as you think necessary.

Of course you do need to know exactly what your ambitions are for your YouTube channel. Is it to make money? to inform, or merely, like me, to communicate about the music and the instruments I love.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:39 AM

What about getting an interface that comes with a condenser mic?
Something like this: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Focusri...kaAuLaEALw_wcB
Old 07-31-2020, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

If you are going to continue using your iPhone and want to stay completely on that platform you could get something like Shure MV88 or one of the other mics that connects to the iPhone. That might improve your audio quality.

If you want to go separate and record the video and audio separately, then combine them on your PC before uploading to Youtube, one of the Zoom recorders would be a good way to go. I have the Zoom H6 and like it. I might opt for one of the models with the XLR inputs that accept external mics. That way you can use external mics down the road if you decide you want to upgrade from the Zoom mics.

I think recording audio separately is the best way to get good results. That way the mics can be close to the guitar, and the camera can be a ways out. You can sweeten the audio a bit in your DAW, then combine the audio/video in your video editor.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
A lot of great information in here!

I am actually considering getting the H4n pro, but I have not been sure there would be a big enough difference between the H1 and the H4 to warrant the difference in price.

But I take it your opinion is that there is a significant increase in audion quality to be had by choosing the H4n pro?
Yes, and as a bonus, you can plug external mics into the H4n, so when you're ready for your next upgrade, get a couple of decent condenser mics and you'll take another step forward.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:10 PM

For my £0.02 - you'd be far better considering the space you're recording in before/instead of spending money on tech.

I'm currently doing some remote bids with a flute player. I asked him to go round his house recording a few bars in all likely spots and send me the files. We chose the bay window of his back room. No further outlay required.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi Vacaloca.
Of course you do need to know exactly what your ambitions are for your YouTube channel. Is it to make money? to inform, or merely, like me, to communicate about the music and the instruments I love.
I love the fact that you all have different perspectives on this.
For now, the videos are only for sharing with my teacher and other students of his.
With time that might change.

Right now, that Zoom H4 seems to be the right way to go.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Generally I use two AT2035 mics into a Zoom H5. The built-in mics in the Zoom are ok.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-08-2020, 03:49 PM

This post is super relevant to my situation. I’ve been playing for 4 years.

I need to record a couple of songs of me and my daughter playing guitar and decided a Zoom H2n should work well for us. I didn’t want to spend too much on additional external mics.

I plan to record video on my iPhone and put the audio from the Zoom together in post production. Separately.. I can record my son on drums too for the same song and using the same process.

I’m having a little technical difficulty connecting the Zoom to my PC with windows 10 (both as a card reader and as a USB mic)..

I’ll post separately about that in this same forum.

Good luck!
Old 08-08-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
The SM57 is a very good stage mic, but not necessarily the best recording mic. On the other hand, I have seen some YouTube videos made with a Zoom that are excellent, like this one with Josh Turner and Allison Young:

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD