The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-06-2010, 10:27 AM

Thumbs up Want MUCH Smaller Video files?? Use this!!

http://www.any-video-converter.com/p...or_video_free/

I've been using AVG software for awhile now. It's a free video file converter which maintains decent audio and video quality, but allows you to shrink your files to a fraction of the original size for much quicker uploads to Youtube and other sites. It also allows for several different bitrate, codec (format) and aspect ratio (video size) adjustments. Try it! You'll thank me for it...... . BTW it also has a built-in Youtube video down-loader in case you have any favorite Youtube vids you want to play on your computer any time without going on the internet (or even burn to a DVD). Handy tool in several ways IMO!

Last edited by 66strummer; 04-06-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:46 PM

Has anyone tried this? When I say smaller files, I'm talking about taking a 200Mb file and reducing it to like 40Mb, as 1 example. The software reduces the file size greatly. Anyway just figured I'd share this FWIW. I used to upload files that were easily 50 to 90Mb. Now a 5 minute file isn't generally much larger than 30Mb and many files I've uploaded are only 10 Mb or a little more, tiny compared to what they would have been. OK, I'll shut up now.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:10 PM

I'd love to see a before and after.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
66 is maybe on to something there. I hadn't really thought about it, but recently had gotten a Kodak Zi8 just for the convenience of it, and did my first tests of it a couple days ago.

Here is a comparison test using 66's "any file converter".

The file I uploaded to YouTube wound up as (~400Mb) : Big File

I tested it then with Any File Converter and here is the (~27Mb) : small file.

I think for the savings in upload time, there isn't much difference, but of course there is some, and this isn't exactly an artsy video.

They can both be watched at the recorded 720p resolution.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post

Looks like our friend Papol beat me to it . Thankyou, sir......

Papol, They both sound and look pretty good. I'm curious however as to how long it took you to upload a 400 Mb file . I probably dont want to know, right?
Thanks again!
Old 04-07-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66strummer View Post
Looks like our friend Papol beat me to it :). Thankyou, sir......

Papol, They both sound and look pretty good. I'm curious however as to how long it took you to upload a 400 Mb file :eek:. I probably dont want to know, right? :D
Thanks again!
Hi again -

I don't even recall because I left for work before it was uploaded ;) I'm fairly sure that it took ~40 minutes to upload, because I was able to view it by the time I got to work which would work out to that time. It's the one thing I don't like about the 'higher quality' camcorders 720p/1080p, or whatever the resolution is. The amount of upload time can be huge.

The smaller file, I did after I read your first post, maybe just a minute or minutes.

Cool program. I really like it - thanks, P
Old 04-08-2010, 06:08 AM

OK, I listened to Hashi's recordings at 720p through very nice Adam Audio studio monitors....I am impressed.

There is some very slight degradation, but I mean slight. Would I record masters with the AVG software, no, it is goods enough for YouTube, more than good enough!

Thanks for the info...........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 04-08-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
OK, I listened to Hashi's recordings at 720p through very nice Adam Audio studio monitors....I am impressed.

There is some very slight degradation, but I mean slight. Would I record masters with the AVG software, no, it is goods enough for YouTube, more than good enough!

Thanks for the info...........

I too notice some (slight degradation) Rich, but like you said still more than good enough for Youtube. In fact I almost want to say that these smaller files sound better on my own Youtube than the original (quite large) files I used to upload. On my desktop when I compare the original file to a freshly converted one, I do hear a little more hiss (noise) on the converted one. And you're welcome......
Old 04-09-2010, 05:01 AM

Thanks Ryan. The converter helped me with some iphone files which my Windows media program wouldn't work with.

Gary
Old 04-09-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Thanks Ryan. The converter helped me with some iphone files which my Windows media program wouldn't work with.

Gary

No prob, Gary. Glad to hear that.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post

Gary
Oops, I must correct myself. My friend tells me that he was using a Canon video cam. In any event, my Windows multi-media program wouldn't work with the files. I tried downloading the latest version of Quicktime (as my friend suggested), but then I couldn't even play my own videos and I had to remove the Quicktime. Fortunately, this Any Video Converter works for me without messing up my original programs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell