The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-08-2020, 09:00 AM

Default Good cutaways for recording?

TLDR: I'm looking for an acoustic electric guitar with a full sound un-plugged in that will sound good when recorded with a nice set of condenser mics.

I have a 70s Martin M36 which I "borrowed" from my Mom when leaving for college 25 years ago I love that guitar to death and for me, nothing beats its nice full sound (along with the sentimental feeling that I get when playing it). It also sounds killer when recorded with my condenser mics. But.... I've been messing around in DADGAD for the last couple of years and the combination of the de-tuned high strings use of a capo means that I'm frequently going above the 14th fret to hit notes which is an absolute pain on a full-bodied guitar. I've been trying to find a guitar that will give me the flexibility of a cutaway for the high notes, but still sounds great acoustically. I also want the sound through the pickups to good because I'll be blending it with the mics for recording as well as using the guitar to play live through an amp or PA.

Ok, so I started by heading down to my local music store and trying out a bunch of guitars. I ended up going with a Taylor 210ce which played well but I ended up returning in short order. When I got home I was underwhelmed by the sound through the pickup both recorded and through my amp. My entry-level ibanez acoustic electric sounded better to my ears through the amp. I also tried a couple more Taylors at a slightly higher price point but was also underwhelmed by the pickup sound.

Headed back to the store for take2, this time with my acoustic amp in hand to be sure of what I was getting. I ended up playing a Martin GPC16 which was absolutely phenomenal to play. The only issue I had with it was that the low E string was not as loud as the other strings when plugged in so it lacked low end. But the guitar played so well I figured, it must be a fluke I'll try another one out. So after the salesman assured me, "no worries you'll be able to return it if you don't like it", I had them order another GPC16. Perfect timing on my part, just after the guitar arrived the east coast went into covid lockdown and I wasn't going anywhere to return it. Sure enough, there was same issue with the 2nd guitar, a lack of low end. My son's little martin LX1E has more low end than my GPC16. Is this a common occurrence with this model? I know the saddle can be adjusted to potentially balance out the volume of the strings, but I'm batting 0-2 at this point. Also, after 3 months of extensive recording with it, my takeaway is that it is quiet, doesn't project enough for mic recording and the high end feels a bit thin as well with the B & E strings just not feeling quite solid for my taste. You know that sound where it's a bit like an electric guitar being played unplugged?

The sound that I have in my mind is basically my old Martin M36 but in a cutaway body. Nice full bottom, warm mids and a solid high end that projects.

Ok, so that's where I am today, any recommendations for a guitar that might fit the bill? I've been reading reviews for the Yamaha A5R ARE which is a dreadnought cutaway that's supposed to punch above it's price-point. Or do I need to scrap the sub 2K price range all-together and start saving up for something in the next tier?

thanks!!

Last edited by Funk@delic; 08-08-2020 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

You should be able to find a GA body size (Martin GPC* or Taylor *14c) that have bass, but the undersaddle pickup might not help any of those with sounding as good as a nice M36. My GPCPA3 and friend's 714ce both sound fine both acoustic or plugged. You may have to choose which is more important to you, though.

The new Martin GPC28e might be worth a try since it uses standard bracing and neck joint, though it's still got an undersaddle transducer.

You shouldn't need a dreadnaught if the M36 is working for you, though it will certainly give you a bunch of bass to start with, I personally find that is more of a recording/amplification problem than the GA body sizes, which are usually pretty balanced.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:35 PM

The Yamaha A5R is an amazing sounding guitar. I owned one and it has to be one of the best sounding guitars out there with a cutaway and electronics under $1500. It's pretty good plugged in too.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

I find that for recording getting balance and more fundamental lushness is easier to record. Easier to EQ, reverb, compress and add time based effects. I find the Martin Dread style guitars that are great for performance or just in a room a different application compared to just capturing a useable recording.

I would look for a used cutaway Martin Custom shop or a Huss & Dalton CM cutaway or a GC Taylor that has above average tone. There is a Gibson J45 cutaway used for under $2K, but I have never tried one and probably would not have the Martin tones you love..

For a nice tone GC size guitar I like a PRS SE cutaway with maple ($900).

This is all advice for average recording acoustic guitar parts. If you are recording solo melodies or solo singer songwriter music then I would save up for a deep tone dynamic range. A true love of a guitar that you can't put down.

Enjoy the cutaway. I have a few and they can be inspiring like my Goodall GC cutaway.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

I can’t help you pick a guitar but I had the same feeling about the new 16 series. Both the D-16e and GPC-16 with their 000 depth, lacked bass. I’d rather play my Road Series GPC than the 16 series.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:16 PM

I've got a cutaway J45 that will answer your call.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 08-09-2020, 03:13 AM
Charter Member

Can you try a SC-13E where you are?
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 08-09-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk@delic View Post
The sound that I have in my mind is basically my old Martin M36 but in a cutaway body. Nice full bottom, warm mids and a solid high end that projects.
Have you considered a 12-fret? You'll get plenty of bottom and mids . . .
Old 08-09-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmist View Post
Have you considered a 12-fret? You'll get plenty of bottom and mids . . .
That's not a bad suggestion, but he said he capos up and plays past the 14th fret routinely. 12 fretters get awful cramped up there, at least that has been my experience.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Check out Guild. I have a Westerly series all hog D-120C that records well.

Here's a tune with it:

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-09-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Check out Guild. I have a Westerly series all hog D-120C that records well.

Here's a tune with it:

O'Carolan!! Sounds awesome!!!! We have something to chat about I see

Here's Loftus Jones with the GPC16

That Guild is a nice looking guitar...never tried one before.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk@delic View Post
O'Carolan!! Sounds awesome!!!! We have something to chat about I see

Here's Loftus Jones with the GPC16

That Guild is a nice looking guitar...never tried one before.
I picked mine up used for $425. They sell new for around $800. All solid wood, acoustic electric.

That's a nifty sounding piece, loved it!

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 08-09-2020 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I can’t help you pick a guitar but I had the same feeling about the new 16 series. Both the D-16e and GPC-16 with their 000 depth, lacked bass. I’d rather play my Road Series GPC than the 16 series.
Yeah, glad I'm not alone in feeling that way, it makes me feel better lol I understand that the smaller body will result in less bass acoustically, but what I don't understand for the life of me is why the feels bass-less when run direct also. So here's a side by side frequency analysis of my GPC16 and my Son's little Martin both plugged in directly into the audio interface, same volume level and no EQ. The little Martin has it's tone set right in the middle. Both roll of at 80 Hz but the Little Martin has a solid 10-12db more more in the 60-200 Hz range than the GPC16. I get that the pickups are tuned to avoid low-end funkyness, but the GPC16 doesn't give you much to work with. I'd much prefer having bass there an EQing it down then to not have it there at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
The Yamaha A5R is an amazing sounding guitar. I owned one and it has to be one of the best sounding guitars out there with a cutaway and electronics under $1500. It's pretty good plugged in too.
I've been watching/listening to quite a few reviews on the A5R. Have to admit, I'm always intrigued by the for the "punches above it's price-range" pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
This is all advice for average recording acoustic guitar parts. If you are recording solo melodies or solo singer songwriter music then I would save up for a deep tone dynamic range. A true love of a guitar that you can't put down.
This would be for solo acoustic pieces. Thanks for the tips!
Old 08-13-2020, 08:14 AM

I have an M-36 too and bought a GPC-35E as it was the closest thing to the M-36 spec-wise, but with a cutaway. It's not the M-36 but it's pretty close.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion