The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-18-2013, 03:52 PM

Default Pegs

Does anyone have a flamenco guitar with pegs?

If so what are your thoughts?

I tried a few guitars with pegs and found them near enough unusable. The luthier who built them said that they take a bit of time to get used to.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:31 PM

i had a very nice one long ago, played on it for a year or two, finally ended up taking a jigsaw to it and put machine pegs on. kind of a chore, but much better after.

"When there's something we think could be better, we must make an effort to try and make it better." —John Coltrane
Old 07-18-2013, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

No pegs here, but have a friend with a custom Boone flamenco that's got pegs. I've played it and they seem okay. But they're mechanical (geared style) pegs. True friction-based wooden pegs are a pain. I've had a violin with them and didn't like it after years of geared guitar tuners.

I get why people go with pegs (for that traditional look), in my experience they offer NO advantages over well-built geared tuners... except being easier to string-up.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the replies.

When I tried a few guitars with pegs, when trying to tune a string, I turned the peg it lost it's tension and flew out of the socket.

I think I'm going for tuning machines. They are less flamenco, don't look as cool but have fewer headaches.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:33 PM

You may want to look at PegHed for geared traditional looking flamenco pegs. 4:1 ratio.
http://pegheds.com/
I've only used them on ukes, but they make them for Flamenco guitar, viola, violin, etc.. good pegs, traditional look.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:55 PM

I had pegs on my 1961 Ramirez made by Contreras... no troubles, worked fine.

I had pegs on my 2003 Carlos Franciso Vega, ... no troubles worked fine.

If they are properly fitted and you use peg dope, should be fine.

If I am looking for a tradtional and light weight flamenco I will go with rosewood , not ebony pegs, other wise I will use machine tuners.

A second for the pegheds.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
If I am looking for a tradtional and light weight flamenco I will go with rosewood , not ebony pegs, other wise I will use machine tuners.

A second for the pegheds.
Yep, one of the main annoyances of pegs is that they expand and contract with humidity, and ebony moves a lot more than rosewood for a given humidity change.

I much prefer pegs over machines for the easy string changing aspect, as well as light weight. Pegheds are best of all, but it's easy enough to tune accurately with regular wood pegs. They usually need to be pushed into the hole tight enough that they don't turn easily for fine adjustments, so you have to turn past where you want and then back off. But it's no problem once you get the hang of it.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:16 PM

Lightbulb PEG DOPE/Double Entendre

Just received and have installed now a set of LaBella Med. tension flamenco strings on my 1967 Taurus cypress body/cedar top flamenco guitar I've owned since near same date as build/bought in NYC.. It's been collecting dust and decided if I don't sell it perhaps get her up and running again as a fun guitar on patios and such..
This way I can still practice my classical repertoire when mood hits or, sing, or work on a jazz idea, since I've pretty much concluded I will be remaining finger style/gut guitar for all...
I do have a few electrics I likely will sell at some point due to. One is a virgin level Ibanez 151f (floater) arch top if you happen to want to make an offer..But that is not the purpose of this thread....
I find friction pegs to be way faster restringing, than rollers/machines as long as you know how to handle friction pegs properly. It's all simple geometric logic. I had old six and the the new six back on in about 15 Min.this time...
Now that you've read this I'll now expose the real purpose of this thread !
Anyone know the best priced and quality (friction) peg dope to get on line ?
Can't find mine.. The stuff is either tree pulp or bees wax...Anyone have the *dope* on that ? Translated: What peg dope do you use ? M
Old 08-13-2020, 01:22 PM

My flamenco has mechanical Peg Heads and I like them a lot. But I do have a banjo with friction pegs. If the taper is done correctly it's not too terrible
Old 08-15-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
My flamenco has mechanical Peg Heads and I like them a lot.
Yep I think it's the best of both worlds between modern mechanical and traditional wood pegs. 4:1 tuning ratio and no worries about slipping. That being said there is something unique about a true peg guitar. It's a tad lighter and seems to be a bit more alive.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical