The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-03-2023, 08:15 PM

Default Which came first, your musical instrument, or your singing

For me it was the instrument...beginning piano lessons in high school, then my wonderful guitar in college. Forty years later it was the weekly sing along at my Mother's retirement home, and a great bluegrass jam that lead me to study singing & to take warm-up drills more seriously.
I love singing with others, always harmony. To me the harmony line is how the song is supposed to go. Don't ask me to lead a song in which I usually harmonize, because that's probably what will come out!! That can be really embarrassing.

2017 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany;
2006 Alvarez AJ60SC/12 NAT
1994 Martin D-1
1992 Guild JF-30 BL, Westerly build
Old 08-03-2023, 11:37 PM

I learned to sing while learning guitar, as it helped me keep place in the songs that I was learning, but it wasn't until many years later that I stepped up to be a lead singer, and started working more seriously on my voice. Now I get hired more for my voice than I do for guitar so the work paid off!

Old 08-04-2023, 02:34 AM
Charter Member

As the time that I was pretty happy as a heavy blues band drummer, a dark eyed beauty promised me lascivious delights if I would drive her to a the Cambridge Folk Festival (from south west London) to see a singer-songwriter called Tom Rush. It was about a month after I'd passed my driving test - 1966.

When I saw this guy on a dais in the open with an Epiphone Texan and a single mic, captivating a large audience of young hippies, I though - "I want to do that".

I wanted to sing, and to sing I had to learn to play guitar.

I kept playing drums into the early '70s but I was also (kind of) playing guitar in a trio from about '68.
Old 08-04-2023, 03:45 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I was in all-city choir before I touched a guitar. Then my voice changed and I became a baritone. Do you have any idea how little market there was for baris in 70s rock? I mean, I can do Ronnie Van Zant.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-04-2023, 04:46 AM

instrument

it took a long time for me to figure out I had some kind of a voice once I learned how to use it.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 08-04-2023, 05:11 AM

Instrument first, for me. That was 58 years ago. Still waitng for singing to arrive.

Seriously, over the last few decades, I have developed a rather basic level of vocalising - I hesitate to dignify it as "singing". But before I ever picked up a guitar it was made very clear to me at school (aged 11 or 12) that I was a "non-singer". They were quite right, I simply had no idea what "singing" involved. It was only after starting to teach myself guitar that I found I could hum a note and - after some trial and error - match it on the guitar; and vice versa.
Even now I can sing (nearly) in tune, I don't like the sound of my voice on recordings. Even after getting it in tune with software, I don't like it.
Old 08-04-2023, 05:40 AM

I never sing, so…
Old 08-04-2023, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Instrument for sure. I started playing in 1977 and was the absolute worst singer on the planet until the last few years when I started singing a lot and started getting better. I’ll never be much of a singer, but at least now I can do it without gagging on the sound of my own voice. I now do it well enough that I enjoy it, which is a massive improvement, but that’s a relatively recent phenomena…

-Ray
Old 08-04-2023, 06:47 AM

I started on guitar for a couple of months, joined my first band, went immediately to bass. Played bass for a few months and my musical mentor (yes, that guy again) insisted I could play bass and sing, and stayed on me until I started doing it. I found I enjoyed it a lot but to this day I have to pick my tunes...I still struggle to play bass lines that are off beat of the vocal lines...well, struggle to play them precisely anyway. The in-and-out is the only banjo roll I can play with precision and sing at the same time.
Old 08-04-2023, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeA View Post
For me it was the instrument...beginning piano lessons in high school, then my wonderful guitar in college. Forty years later it was the weekly sing along at my Mother's retirement home, and a great bluegrass jam that lead me to study singing & to take warm-up drills more seriously.
I love singing with others, always harmony. To me the harmony line is how the song is supposed to go. Don't ask me to lead a song in which I usually harmonize, because that's probably what will come out!! That can be really embarrassing.
Hi Diane…
I was a singer, but nobody wanted (or knew how) to accompany me in Jr High/High school, so I learned Guitar to have permanent accompanying power.

I've been playing and singing now for 65 years, and my guitar is still my main accompaniment.

On our Worship Team at church (my weekly gig for about 45 weeks a year), I play and sing harmony unless leading worship for a Sunday, then I sing lead when it's appropriate or harmony when the song fits another singer's range better (for the sake of the congregation being able to sing).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-04-2023, 07:43 AM

Singing came 1st for me.
Old 08-04-2023, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Started singing about age 5-6 started playing guitar in 1964 @ age 14 ----

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-04-2023, 08:05 AM

I took up guitar to compose music. I didn't perform what I wrote or played for a few years. Of course, I had sung before (everyone has) but the TL : DNR summary for me is that learning to play the instrument enough so I could compose on the instrument was my initial goal.

If I had known someone who could really sing around then, and who wouldn't mind hearing the songs played by a beginning guitar player during that time, I would likely have stayed out the self-embarrassing singing role in public. And when I did start performing, I played with a keyboard player who was a better singer and for a while later with a bass player who was a very good singer. I took a few turns at the mic, but I still was pretty bad.

As things developed over time, I spent around a decade at the turn of the century concentrating on music without words. Problem solved?

No, I've always been fascinated by words, as much as I am about music. In 2016 I launched my Parlando Project where I perform (mostly other people's, mostly literary poetry) words with original music. As the name implied, I started mostly talk-singing, or chanting, or just speaking the words, but over the years I've risked singing the words a bit more. Kind of like Ray upthread, I'm worked my way up to being a mediocre singer on a good day.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 08-04-2023 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-04-2023, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Diane…
I was a singer, but nobody wanted (or knew how) to accompany me in Jr High/High school, so I learned Guitar to have permanent accompanying power.

I've been playing and singing now for 65 years, and my guitar is still my main accompaniment.

On our Worship Team at church (my weekly gig for about 45 weeks a year), I play and sing harmony unless leading worship for a Sunday, then I sing lead when it's appropriate or harmony when the song fits another singer's range better (for the sake of the congregation being able to sing).

Yes, most of the people I jam with sing in a key that I can't reach, so the harmony is very easy.

2017 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany;
2006 Alvarez AJ60SC/12 NAT
1994 Martin D-1
1992 Guild JF-30 BL, Westerly build

Last edited by DianeA; 08-04-2023 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-04-2023, 08:32 AM

I picked up the guitar in April 2020. Shortly that when I was playing with a guy with a keyboard when he said he couldn't sing, but I could sing in tune. So I started to sing.

Then I took guitar and singing lessons. I stopped the singing after 5 lessons as I was frustrated as I couldn't understand simple things like what is a key, octave, interval etc. I started singing lessons a again a year later as I had learned some music theory.

My teacher last week said I have made great progress in the 3 years with her, although she said I still have a ways to go. I was having a pity party as I was having trouble singing intervals. She told me as a freshman in college, she was like me with no ability to sing the intervals. However she worked hard to become a accomplished singer.

I've been on my music journey for 3 years at the age of 67. It now includes the piano which I don't sing with yet. As a footnote I was told by a few girlfriends/wife I couldn't sing. That held me back from pursuing music for 64 years.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write