The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-31-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
This Andersen guitar is billed as a "double-top" which means it has nomex in the top with a veneer on both sides so it looks like wood to the casual observer. I would call this more of a hybrid instrument, but then again aren't all instruments somewhere on the hybrid spectrum?

https://www.archtop.com/ac_13andersen_vanguard.html
Somewhere on the spectrum, but is not too dissimilar to adding a carbon fiber truss rod to stabilize the neck side of an otherwise all wood guitar, I think.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:47 AM

Siger Guitars (France) added to electrics
Old 04-05-2020, 06:42 AM

I just stumbled upon the Etherial guitars website: https://www.etherialguitars.com/

They make futuristic electric guitars. By their looks I am assuming these are mainly of interest to metal players.

Quote:
Our main goal is to challenge the tradition of timber construction by working extensively with carbon fiber aluminium and stainless steel.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 04-05-2020, 09:14 AM
Guest 928

Cool looking instruments.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
I just stumbled upon the Etherial guitars website: https://www.etherialguitars.com/

They make futuristic electric guitars. By their looks I am assuming these are mainly of interest to metal players.
Some very interesting design ideas there, and the prices aren’t as outrageous as you might expect.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-11-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
This Andersen guitar is billed as a "double-top" which means it has nomex in the top with a veneer on both sides so it looks like wood to the casual observer. I would call this more of a hybrid instrument, but then again aren't all instruments somewhere on the hybrid spectrum?

well, this is a very common practice since the last 30 years in classical guitars. I think that Greg Smallman was the first to sandwhich a layer of composite (usually nomex latices) between 2 thin veneers for high grade wood. It is a huge trend in classical guitar now with amazing results. a big part of the top performers use guitars built with these techniques from several manufacturers
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
...and some old fender, basses, violins, harps...
Old 04-11-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Is Viktorian still in business? Couldn’t find much recent on them anywhere.
Sadly yes. Looong time gone. They never even took off the ground. They died just before starting to comercialice fluently. Only very few guitars went out. That's a pity because they were truly amazing guitars. I really loved all the guitars i tried from them. amazing ideas, design and sound. and the neck and playability was amazing
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
Old 04-11-2020, 09:40 AM
Guest 928

Martin;

Would you list a few of the double top classical guitars?
Old 04-11-2020, 04:10 PM

Matthias Dammann is said to be the first and is one of the best by far... in the late 90s his waiting list was almost 10 years! other say that Smallmann was first but don't quote me on that. Others say that Gernot Wagner was first and Dammann copied him. I'm not an expert.

Other luthiers that use the doble top sandwich with nomex in the middle are Robert Ruck, Fritz Mueller, Jim Redgate, Michel Bruck, Boguslaw Teryks.. just to name only a few. a huge amount of the current classical luthiers embraced this trend

One of my favourites in the latest years is Luis Cepeda. Players as top as David Russell even play with his guitars

Nomex was originally designed in the 1960s as a lightweight material for use in the aviation industry and is a flame resistant meta-aramid material, close to the carbon fiber. It is usually used in a honeycomb pattern
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
Old 04-12-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Martin;

Would you list a few of the double top classical guitars?

Lets not forget our friends at Blackbird Guitars (although no classical guitar yet :-) ). There eKoa uses a double top noted here "The Ekoa double top soundboard can be broken via a major impact and you will want your instrument in its gig bag when bush-whacking as it is not scratch-proof"

https://www.blackbirdguitar.com/pages/faqs
Old 04-12-2020, 03:07 PM
Guest 928

Fixed; I did not know that Blackbird was doing a double top on its eKoa guitars. It must add quite a bit to the guitar since one member of this forum has used nylon strings on the instrument and argued its fine qualities even though the guitar is designed as a steel string instrument.

Martin: I checked out some of the noted guitars. I figure that if I divorced my wife, took my half of the house money, sold my car and all my guitars, I could afford a few. Since I like my wife, house, car and guitars I guess I'll stick with what I have.
Old 10-04-2021, 05:34 PM

I was looking up this topic because I found another builder: Tucci from Italy, electrics.

https://www.tucciinstruments.com/

ac, can you add this one to the revised/reformatted list?
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 10-05-2021, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
I was looking up this topic because I found another builder: Tucci from Italy, electrics.

https://www.tucciinstruments.com/

ac, can you add this one to the revised/reformatted list?
Sure, I'll add it.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:

On the subject of double tops, I'm pretty sure my Rainsong has a Carbon/nomex sandwich top. Is that the case with all Rainsongs? Just curious.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:23 AM

A picture from 9 years ago popped up today in my Facebook feed. I'm playing a fanned fretted CF guitar with a cutaway, a centered hole, and a lower bout shoulder cut (like the pricey Taylors do). I'm in Mike's back yard getting ready for a late season show.

Darned if I remember the manufacturers name.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber