The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-15-2020, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Default Apollo Apogee combo

I'm considering picking up a used Apogee Rosetta 800 192kHz to connect via ADAT to my Apollo X8p in order to give myself an additional eight i/o channels so I'm not limited in using my outboard gear. I can get a Rosetta 800 for around $600, perhaps less. I think it's the best balance I can strike between cost and quality.

I did put this question out there in a couple of UAD groups on Facebook and two people told me that did it and had no problems. My main worry was that there may be some jitter issues but neither of those two people complained of that.

Before I pull the trigger, I'm wondering if any of you can think of a reason that this would be a bad idea. I worry that I may be overlooking something.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-15-2020, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I'm considering picking up a used Apogee Rosetta 800 192kHz to connect via ADAT to my Apollo X8p in order to give myself an additional eight i/o channels so I'm not limited in using my outboard gear. I can get a Rosetta 800 for around $600, perhaps less. I think it's the best balance I can strike between cost and quality.

I did put this question out there in a couple of UAD groups on Facebook and two people told me that did it and had no problems. My main worry was that there may be some jitter issues but neither of those two people complained of that.

Before I pull the trigger, I'm wondering if any of you can think of a reason that this would be a bad idea. I worry that I may be overlooking something.
Jitter ? wouldn't you simply use one as the master clock and one slaved to eliminate this ?
Which one would you use as you master clock?

I had a Rosetta 200 that I used in my first system, with a Digi 002 console and PT LE I thought is was a great piece of gear.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-15-2020, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Jitter ? wouldn't you simply use one as the master clock and one slaved to eliminate this ?
Which one would you use as you master clock?
I'm guessing the Apollo might have the better clock but I'd have to look into that. My concern was whether the two pieces would play together nicely. I don't want to invest in this thing only to find myself having to troubleshoot problems later on.

Quote:
I had a Rosetta 200 that I used in my first system, with a Digi 002 console and PT LE I thought is was a great piece of gear.
I had a similar setup at one time... the same Rosetta 200 but paired with a Digi 003 with the BLA mod. It was fine but I was really happy when Pro Tools finally freed us from their dongle.

YouTube
Old 01-17-2020, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

So after gathering what little info I could muster on doing this (two people who said they've done it with no problems), I pulled the trigger last night on a used Rosetta 800. I got it for $520, that included tax and shipping. Add in another $300 for the audio snakes, the ADAT cables, and the word clock cable, and I'm getting 8 channels for about $100 apiece.

I had been toying with the idea of eventually getting another Apollo unit to increase my channel count but this solution saves me $2500-$3000 and I don't think I'm sacrificing anything significant on the quality side. The Rosetta pres and converters are excellent.

YouTube
Old 01-18-2020, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Just spent the morning rearranging my patchbays to make room for the Apogee. The bottom left from 1-11 are for my 500 rack, so I only have 4 spots left between the two bays. I realized after the fact that naming the Apogee channels "Apo" could be confusing since the UAD unit is an Apollo. I'm going to leave it though because as I get older and more confused, that mistake may lead me to some unexpected adventure.

YouTube
Old 01-20-2020, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Just spent the morning rearranging my patchbays to make room for the Apogee. The bottom left from 1-11 are for my 500 rack, so I only have 4 spots left between the two bays. I realized after the fact that naming the Apogee channels "Apo" could be confusing since the UAD unit is an Apollo. I'm going to leave it though because as I get older and more confused, that mistake may lead me to some unexpected adventure.
4 gives you just enough room for an A Designs Pacifica and a Bricasti M7

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-20-2020, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
4 gives you just enough room for an A Designs Pacifica and a Bricasti M7
hehe... the Pacifica was on my wishlist for a long time but I have four excellent two-channel preamps and don't really need it. The one preamp that does interest me a bit is the Hairball Lola. Every time I hear that thing on acoustic guitar it makes me tingly. A Bricasti would be nice but I know what my next two big purchases will be. First up is a set of mid-fields. I have to wait until I move for those because I won't be able to evaluate them in my current situation. After that is a Curve Bender. I've been using the plugin on mastering jobs. I love it; the clients love it. The only thing that might steer me away from that is a mastering eq that Audio-Scape is supposed to release sometime later this year. They do a really amazing job with the gear they produce and I'd be interested in giving that one a walk around the neighborhood. That could potentially save me thousands as the Curve Bender is currently going for just under $6k. But it would have to allow me to dial in just as easily and sound just as good. I'm not sure exactly what A-S is planning but I'm excited to see it.

YouTube
Old 01-20-2020, 11:57 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. We have an Apogee 800 Rosetta here through which all our "money channels"* go. We've handled clocking two different ways: The Yamaha console has been the clock source for the room but we've recently added an Apogee Big Ben master clock and everything clocks off that. Why? Digital first aid! At 17 years old, the Yamaha DM2000 all of a sudden developed a tendency to unlock every so often, throwing a sharp pop into the incoming audio. Once we slaved the Yamaha to a stable clock it has stayed locked ever since.

So now the "money channel" chain is:
preamps** --> Apogee Rosetta (AES) --> Yamaha AES inputs --> Yamaha AES outputs --> DAW (Nuendo on PC). The Rosetta, the console, the DAW, and our Dolby encoders and decoders (beside music I mix for film and video) all clock off the Apogee Big Ben. Honestly, the Yamaha serves mostly as a signal router and monitor distribution rig.

Bob

* The money channels are the high-priority channels, ie. vocals, solo instruments, etc.

** We've got Avalon VT737 and Neve Portico preamps for those. We use Yamaha preamps and D/As for the high slew rate signals and they sound pretty nice.

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

Last edited by Bob Womack; 01-20-2020 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Removed excess carriage returns
Old 01-20-2020, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Nice board, Bob. I had a Yamaha 01v back when I first started recording. I wound up getting rid of it when I went from the Digi 001 to the Digi 003 because the board over-complicated things for me. A friend of mine is still using it though. I'm assuming I'll be fine with the Apollo X8p as the master clock. The two people who told me they've had this combo said it worked fine for them.

YouTube
Old 01-22-2020, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Every time I get a new piece of gear, I'm reminded that what it says in the center of this Venn diagram is so very true. It has nothing to do with the actual piece of gear, but rather with the cables needed to use the gear. To add the Rosetta, I need two DB25 to TRS snakes. I want quality and trust the Mogami/Neutrik combo for that. I always order from Redco and I wait ...and I wait ...and I wait. I could get pre-mades faster from a couple of other places but I'd be paying $230 each instead of $120 each.

YouTube
Old 01-23-2020, 05:55 AM

^^^^ If there was a like button, I would press it.
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD