The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-24-2020, 10:12 AM

It’s hard for me to think a QB that has only a .500 career record as a starter and only made the post season 6 times out of 16 seasons is a hall of famer. If that’s the case, the HOF is really watered down and should just be called the Hall of Popularity.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
It’s hard for me to think a QB that has only a .500 career record as a starter and only made the post season 6 times out of 16 seasons is a hall of famer. If that’s the case, the HOF is really watered down and should just be called the Hall of Popularity.

Well “fame” by definition is extreme popularity.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Born in upstate NY and by the time I was weaned, had become a diehard NY Giant fan.

Read all the comments and have to agree that Eli sure ain't no Bart Starr or Johnny Unitas. That wasn't his style and he probably never had the talent/ability that others possessed.

He was a team player, foremost and always. He mostly hid his feelings and did what he had to do when he had to do it. Ask Tom Brady.

He was picked as MVP twice since both of the SB games were a total team effort and no one really stood out. Sure, the Gint's had formidable defenses in those games but it was a team effort that enabled them to win

Does he deserve to be in the HOF? Don't know and don't really care. I have no voice in the matter and if I looked at all the HOFers, would probably have a problem with several of them.

Those of you who take umbrage with what I say can enjoy the fact that I have suffered for the past few years with a team that lacks all semblance of a pro organization. I curse them when they win at the end of the season and lose the number one draft pick!

Yes he should have retired 2 years earlier, but so to should have Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays and many other greats that didn't see the writing in the wall.

If he makes it to the HOF, I'll be happy and proud but won't cry if he doesn't. Will be to busy crying about the way the current Giants play!

john
Old 01-24-2020, 06:51 PM

I do think he's a Hall of Famer.
His two Super Bowl wins, both against the greatest dynasty in the history of the NFL, and his Super Bowl MVP trophies in both those games add to the fact he's in the top ten in yardage, completions, TDs, etc. during his career.
He also operated in the most demanding media market in the United States and never had even a hint of controversy or scandal and was widely respected by his teammates.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro
G&L Tribute Fallout
Squier 50's Classic Vibe Telecaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Old 01-24-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
He's not a HOF'er in my opinion.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

I’ve been a Manning family fan for a long time. Specifically a Peyton fan. I have appreciated the class and character that I’ve seen the family exhibit over the years.

They're truly a family with a strong football legacy.

That being said, I have to wonder if Eli’s last name wasn’t Manning...would he even be considered. I realize that he has 2 rings. And I’d attribute those 2 championships (07 and 11 if I’m not mistaken) to be his best seasons. Other than that, I’d qualify him as an average QB in the NFL.

Is he in the same category as his brother Peyton, or Tom Brady, Marino, Unitas, Favre, and the like? IMO...no.

Should he be a HOF inductee...again, IMO, absolutely not.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 01-26-2020, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

IS he a Hall of Famer (i.e.deserving)? I’m not sure I’m enough of a football fanatic to have a truly informed opinion.
But if the question is really WILL he BE a Hall of Famer? Then unless you can name another QB with two super bowl wins (as MVP) who is not in the Hall, I would say it’s a layup even if that’s a metaphor from a different sport

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic