The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-15-2005, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

heres another song in the beginning stages. just guitar and vocals.

http://acmerock.com/streaming/play.p...collectStats=0

Last edited by bobbyg67; 09-21-2005 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:04 PM

Here is a Gordon Lightfoot tune I recorded:

Circle of Steel
Old 09-16-2005, 07:03 PM
RednekHippieMotrcycleFrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97
It's the Bread cover, "Make it With You."

I did everything so please feel free to offer advice/feedback/comments.

In fact, I'll start. I think my guitar playing is lousy especially for a song that's very easy to play. My bass playing which I took up just a few minutes before recording the song is even worse. Lastly, I need to redo the vocals.
Ok Sage97, self flagellation is the only kind you're going to get. That was pretty good stuff. It was as good as Rockerbob's submissions before he dropped out of sight. I listened to and liked all the songs on your list. Do more. But now, let's get technical. Please describe your setup, and are you using any vocal processing for harmonies or is that all individual tracks? Again good stuff.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:29 PM

Hey Sage, I really liked the "Make It With You" song, very nice indeed. I noticed that in the beginning and throughout the song, you use some muting on the chords to establish some rhythm in the song with the guitar, but if I may suggest letting the chords sustain instead. David Gates lets it sustain for a more interpretive feel to the song, if that makes any sense. Very nice man!
Old 09-16-2005, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking
Ok Sage97, self flagellation is the only kind you're going to get. That was pretty good stuff. It was as good as Rockerbob's submissions before he dropped out of sight. I listened to and liked all the songs on your list. Do more. But now, let's get technical. Please describe your setup, and are you using any vocal processing for harmonies or is that all individual tracks? Again good stuff.
Thanks roadking.

All guitars are mic'd with a matched pair of SP C4s through FMR RNC and RNP into my AKAI DAW. For rhythm, one is pointed around the 13th fret and the other one below the bridge. For some reason, I thought I wanted the rhythm to sound dull so I strummed my Taylor 714ce with my fingers, no pick and no nails. I panned to taste.

The lead guitar is done with just one C4 towards the soundhole. I'm not sure why but I just decided to pan the lead all the way to one side.

I added some reverb and delay for the guitar tracks and as you can hear, I did a lot of experimentation, most of which did not turn out good at all. But hey, I am an amateur and I am having fun.

The vocals are all done with a Rode NTK through the same settings on the FMR RNC and RNP into my AKAI DAW. They are all individual tracks but I added some reverb and some delay in the mix.

That's all I did mainly because that's all I know. My technical know how is extremely limited. Aside from refraining from adding too much effects, please let me know if you have recommendations.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd
Hey Sage, I really liked the "Make It With You" song, very nice indeed. I noticed that in the beginning and throughout the song, you use some muting on the chords to establish some rhythm in the song with the guitar, but if I may suggest letting the chords sustain instead. David Gates lets it sustain for a more interpretive feel to the song, if that makes any sense. Very nice man!
Hi Rick.

I was wondering when I would hear from you. I decided to do that song after you told me that I ought to try it.

I don't know why but I just really thought my Taylor was too bright and I wanted the rhythm to sound dull. You haven't been the only who's suggested to let the rhythm guitars ring and sustain. I'll try to cut another track on the rhythm when I get some free time.

Thanks for chiming in.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fngrstyl
This isnt from the site mentioned, but from my own site.

Fingerstyle Serenade

really cool melody, i love it
i wanted to ask you to send me the tab of the song, i'm really interested in trying to learn it

thanks
Old 09-18-2005, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fngrstyl
This isnt from the site mentioned, but from my own site.

Fingerstyle Serenade
Nice idea, nice recording, nice touch.
Just one question, did you intentionally play those Rubato breaks ?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell