The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-15-2018, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Gut trebles

I’m a nylon string newbie and trying different strings.

I started with Thomastik Infeld Classic S strings. The trebles sound too much like steel strings. Then I switched to LaBella Folk Singer Strings and the trebles were way too dull. After that, I put on Hannabach med-hi tension carbon trebles - better, but I wouldn’t mind something a little brighter and with a little more sustain. I’ve been reading about gut strings and wondering if they’d suit my needs.

Any thoughts on that, or possible alternatives?
Old 07-15-2018, 05:55 PM

Default Savarez Alliance...

These are fluorocarbon strings and are both brighter and thinner in diameter than standard nylon strings. Definitely with a try.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I’m a nylon string newbie and trying different strings.

I started with Thomastik Infeld Classic S strings. The trebles sound too much like steel strings. Then I switched to LaBella Folk Singer Strings and the trebles were way too dull. After that, I put on Hannabach med-hi tension carbon trebles - better, but I wouldn’t mind something a little brighter and with a little more sustain. I’ve been reading about gut strings and wondering if they’d suit my needs.

Any thoughts on that, or possible alternatives?
Two Classic S sets: KF110 and KR116. Which did you use?
Old 07-16-2018, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

I tried he KR116
Old 07-16-2018, 06:19 PM

I tune very low, so string characteristics lean more towards the bass. On steel guitars, the 116 trebles are mellow and sweet. I've tried the Pearse folk on the Rainsong NP12A - trebles far too steely, but the Classic N Superlona CF128 1-4 strings were warm when paired with a micarta saddle - bone, tusq, and corian saddles sounded clear, if lacking in richness. The 128s had the same characteristic on a Breedlove long scale Flamenco-dry Passport N200/CMP (corian saddle).

The Savarez Alliance are a good bet.

Others I've tried on the Rainsong with micarta saddle:

La Bella 2001 Hard (clean, nice)

Pepe Romero PEPESR Clear Nylon HT ((extra dimensional, super rich, great sustain, borderline overwhelming, #1 string has depth on 18th, last fret)

Savarez 500 CRJ Corum New Cristal Mixed - ST New Cristal trebles, HT Corum basses (powerful, ringing)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical