The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-09-2018, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Thoughts on Guitar Neck/Fretboard Issue(s)....

I purchased a Taylor several months ago but didn't bond with it. I sold it on Reverb, but the Buyer wants to return it based on the following. Once I get it back I'll contact Taylor about this since it seems to be a warranty issue. Still, I'd like to get the thoughts from those of you who are repair knowledgable....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 08-10-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:51 AM

Taylor have IMO some of the best after sales warranty I have ever known, so if it’s a structural issue they will resolve it quickly.

In regards to the comments / notes on the paper, adjusting the neck to the point where the 1st fret is lower than the 3rd and 4th, indicates way to much backbow being adjusted in, so that’s a simple adjustment. It sounds like the new owner is trying to get a dead straight neck with no allowance for relief.

If there is a twist happening just at the tongue extension area, I suspect maybe a replacement set of shims and neck set will fix the problem, with a mismatched set of heel and extension shims you get a twist happening in this area.

All fixable.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 07-09-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:19 PM

Default one opinion

I suggest taking the guitar to a luthier for an inspection before choosing the next action. I have a Taylor whose headstock veneer was delaminating, and I took it to a Taylor authorized repair station, and the guitar was sent back to Taylor, no charge to me, its neck was replaced, and the guitar returned to the repair station, again at no cost to me. I spoke with the repair folks at Taylor inquiring what they were going to do, and the answer was they were swapping the neck. Seeing as how Taylor can swap necks in ten minutes, no problem, I am guessing that no fiddling around with a problematic neck will be done. Too easy and quick to swap the part and close out the repair.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Seeing as how Taylor can swap necks in ten minutes, no problem, I am guessing that no fiddling around with a problematic neck will be done. Too easy and quick to swap the part and close out the repair.
Taylor are the modern Acoustic version of Fender, built for ease of assembly and replacement parts

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 07-10-2018, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

My gut feeling is that for whatever reason, she had some buyer's remorse or just wanted to audition the guitar and used what might be an easy fix to justify returning it. However, her guitar tech seems very experienced despite the fact that she took his assessment to say that the issue was not correctable....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-10-2018, 06:55 AM

Always a worry when a repairer writes an essay.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 07-10-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:07 AM

Default repairer

Especially when a repairer is being used to justify cancelling a sale...
Old 07-10-2018, 09:28 AM

Default Warranty

This is not a warranty issue as you are not the original owner anymore.

I talked with my lawyer when my guitars were stolen, recovered within hours. They are being held for evidence almost two years. My insurance Co. bought them from me. That made the lifetime warranty go away. If I buy them back if ever they are released, then that makes me third owner. No warranty.

Yes you were the original owner but legally not anymore.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post

I talked with my lawyer when my guitars were stolen, recovered within hours. They are being held for evidence almost two years. My insurance Co. bought them from me. That made the lifetime warranty go away. If I buy them back if ever they are released, then that makes me third owner. No warranty.

Thanks for your input, but that’s really a different discussion of a different issue. I posted in the Build and Repair Forum and included the guitar tech's report to get feedback on the physical issues involved with the guitar....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 07-10-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post

I would respectfully disagree. If the sale is cancelled it never happened. You are still the original owner. Your scenario only works when ownership transfers.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 07-10-2018, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
I would respectfully disagree. If the sale is cancelled it never happened. You are still the original owner. Your scenario only works when ownership transfers.
I would respectfully refer this line of discussion to Big Band Guitar's previous post on the subject of original ownership/manufacturer's warranty after selling a guitar....https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=509581
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-13-2018, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Seems like Taylor probably isn't tracking all the owners of guitars down the line. If you can produce an original bill of sale, I'd bet you're good. Insurance loss and you get the guitars back, and you have an original bill of sale, you're good. Sell it to someone and they back out, but you have the original bill of sale, you're good.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Putting the warranty issue aside (please), I got the guitar back today, and it seems to play great. I still think it was a matter of the buyer wanting to try out the guitar and then finding a guitar tech who might find something wrong when she decided not to keep it. Consider that she received it late last Thursday afternoon, and had taken it to the guitar tech and wrote to me that she wanted to return it within 24 hours.

The tech must have lowered the action before finding all of the "defects" with the neck because it's very low. One statement in his appraisal refers to buzzing when one plays way up on the neck where it goes over the upper bout of the guitar. For one thing, I never venture there; and for that matter, who would play there since the guitar has no cutaway....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-13-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I got the guitar back today, and it seems to play great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
The tech must have lowered the action before finding all of the "defects" with the neck because it's very low. One statement in his appraisal refers to buzzing when one plays way up on the neck where it goes over the upper bout of the guitar.
I looked them up.

This is the issue with the current generation of techs that use PLEK machines.

We have a local person that bought a plek machine last year, he does daily facebook posts showing guitars with bad necks according to the PLEK machine, load of rubbish IMO, they show scans where the truss rod has not been adjusted properly, scans that make 2 thousands of an inch look like a mountain, all to rip people off.

To get an action ridiculously low yes everything needs to be addressed, but its ridiculously low to the point you have a weather change and it will start to buzz.

Lazy PLEK users and this ongoing money making scam, gets under my skin. Most of them these days have no idea of what real luthery is.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 07-14-2018, 05:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
I looked them up.

This is the issue with the current generation of techs that use PLEK machines.

We have a local person that bought a plek machine last year, he does daily facebook posts showing guitars with bad necks according to the PLEK machine, load of rubbish IMO, they show scans where the truss rod has not been adjusted properly, scans that make 2 thousands of an inch look like a mountain, all to rip people off.

To get an action ridiculously low yes everything needs to be addressed, but its ridiculously low to the point you have a weather change and it will start to buzz.

Lazy PLEK users and this ongoing money making scam, gets under my skin. Most of them these days have no idea of what real luthery is.

Steve
Thanks for sharing, Steve. I underlined part of your post because that was what I'd kind of suspected not knowing about the PLEK machine aspect. FWIW I couldn't get it to buzz even attempting to play on the upper end of the fretboard above the body of the guitar. I repeat, who would buy a guitar without a cutaway if that was their playing field???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair