The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-07-2018, 01:12 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
It comes with the pickguard off, so I’m debating leaving it off. Looks great either way, and I don’t think mine came with the poker chip lol.
My '70s Les Paul has both. I've decided against leaving them off but this time around I'm at least considered it. I want to get a guitar with a good enough top that I can be convinced to bare it.

Meanwhile, here is my Gibson Kalamazoo '74 small-script Standard. I bought it used in '77 and it has seen a lot of miles, smiles, and sessions. There are a lot of interesting anomalies here, such as the reflector knobs and nylon saddles. Gibson really seems to have tossed on whatever was lying about up until the move to Nashville.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-07-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
My '70s Les Paul has both. I've decided against leaving them off but this time around I'm at least considered it. I want to get a guitar with a good enough top that I can be convinced to bare it.

Meanwhile, here is my Gibson Kalamazoo '74 small-script Standard. I bought it used in '77 and it has seen a lot of miles, smiles, and sessions. There are a lot of interesting anomalies here, such as the reflector knobs and nylon saddles. Gibson really seems to have tossed on whatever was lying about up until the move to Nashville.

Bob

Here she is with the pickguard set on. Man I love it both ways. Just need a poker chip haha!

IMG_4165.jpg
Old 07-07-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
It comes with the pickguard off, so I’m debating leaving it off. Looks great either way, and I don’t think mine came with the poker chip lol.
Mine is a 2016 and I left the pickguard off. Shows off the top beautifully. Depending upon your strumming style you may want to include it.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:37 PM

I can't even believe it. Congrats, Shades!! This is SO, so very weird.. I've been sort of GAS-ing for a Les Paul for a while. Actually, alternating between Les Paul and PRS, but lately, Les Paul. I literally just got done browsing on google, under a google search *literally* typed in as 'iced tea Les Paul". After seeing a few that piqued my interest, but nothing I actually made a move on, I came on here and went to the "Electric" section, and this was the first post I read.

Seems like it's a sign .. I'm mostly (85%?) acoustic by nature and always have been, but also have a sweet spot for electric from my youth.. and I plan definitely to get a Les Paul just like yours, as well as an American Standard Strat in candy-apple red, with the rosewood 'board. All things in due time, of course.

Congratulations, man! Can't think of much more in the way of Americana-inspired in the world of electric guitardom .. perfect buy for independence day. Enjoy it in good health!! To me that's the *perfect* color/finish on a LP.
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 07-07-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v32 finish View Post
I can't even believe it. Congrats, Shades!! This is SO, so very weird.. I've been sort of GAS-ing for a Les Paul for a while. Actually, alternating between Les Paul and PRS, but lately, Les Paul. I literally just got done browsing on google, under a google search *literally* typed in as 'iced tea Les Paul". After seeing a few that piqued my interest, but nothing I actually made a move on, I came on here and went to the "Electric" section, and this was the first post I read.

Seems like it's a sign .. I'm mostly (85%?) acoustic by nature and always have been, but also have a sweet spot for electric from my youth.. and I plan definitely to get a Les Paul just like yours, as well as an American Standard Strat in candy-apple red, with the rosewood 'board. All things in due time, of course.

Congratulations, man! Can't think of much more in the way of Americana-inspired in the world of electric guitardom .. perfect buy for independence day. Enjoy it in good health!! To me that's the *perfect* color/finish on a LP.

My J-45 sort of drove me to get a Les Paul. I figured with all of the Gibson financial woes, it wouldn’t be a bad thing to go ahead and get my two Gibsons I’ve always wanted.

I haven’t really cared much about electric much over the past few years, but this rekindles the love for now.

I’ve been using my daughters Blackstar FLY amp because I don’t even have a guitar amp! I just put on some country radio and jam along with the music. Too much fun!!!!
Old 07-07-2018, 05:26 PM

Hey, I'm right there with ya. . I use my Loudbox Mini (for now) to play my PRS on. Eventually I want to get a nice little Fender tweed reissue or a Blackstar or Marshall, but at low volume it surprised me with a nice sound. Plenty good enough to sit there with a looper and write stuff, although it loses a little fatness.

I've also wondered how the Gibson financial woes would affect their guitars long-term.. definitely one of the reasons that I pulled the trigger on my J45 as well.

we'll see!! I wouldn't mind if they lowered their prices a wee bit.. I think some of their stuff is a little high.. but not outragous. I'm definitely a Gibson convert, for now.
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 07-13-2018, 07:46 AM

I'm truly on the fence about returning this guitar. It looks and feels great, I love the vibe, but the neck pickup is terribly muddy, and I think I prefer the all around sound of my PRS SC245....yes, the same PRS I wanted to sell to get the Les Paul.

I like the Les Paul, but it is sort of like getting a new job and being all excited, but deep down you really know that you'll never love the new job like you did your old one.

It's tough too because it does feel and look great, and quality wise, this is the first LP that has been perfect out of the gate.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars