The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-03-2018, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Default check out this cool video on jerry read smith-black mountain, nc

short history on this man. years ago I was in black mountain, nc. this was long before I ever attempted to make musical notes on anything. black mountain, nc is a mountain top very small town. 2 lanes, a real bakery, 2 or 3 other places to eat, acoustic corner(guitar/mandolin/banjo shop), and Song of the Mountain-a dulcimer shop. Was staying at the Monte Vista hotel(check it out-an old carriage house with a lot of history, rooms are still to the period, no AC, open windows, big bath tubs, no tv, no radio, just mountain top air).
I walked in the shop, knowing nothing about dulcimers or anything else. I was amazed with the woodwork on these instruments.

found this video this evening and its just a neat experience to watch, see this craftsman, musician, hear his story, his journey. I think we can all relate in some way to something he talks off.
enjoy

https://www.pbs.org/video/our-state-sweetest-sound/
Old 07-04-2018, 02:36 PM

beautiful.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:51 PM

I'm just seeing this.

Jerry got in touch with me one day via Facebook asking me questions about a tutorial I put on YouTube playing Rich Mullins songs on the hammered dulcimer. Keep in mind that to me, this is like me putting a guitar video out and Bob Taylor or C.F. Martin III getting in touch with me to ask me some questions. Well, one thing led to another, and I ended up going out and spending a day with Jerry in his shop. We went out to lunch together, and he asked me to come back and play at Song of the Wood in Black Mountain during their Christmas parade a couple of months later. I had an absolutely great time, and I'll never forget it.

Good gosh, to own one of his dulcimers...
Old 09-07-2018, 07:18 AM

I went his site after watching the video. His dulcimers seem to be VERY affordable as far as hand made instruments go. I can't find a handmade 6 string instrument for 600 let alone one with over 20. They are beautiful instruments as well.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
I went his site after watching the video. His dulcimers seem to be VERY affordable as far as hand made instruments go. I can't find a handmade 6 string instrument for 600 let alone one with over 20. They are beautiful instruments as well.
Bowed psalteries are not that expensive, but hammered dulcimers on the other hand...
Old 09-07-2018, 06:39 PM

he had a hammer dulcimer for 600
Old 09-08-2018, 11:22 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Love it. He's right across the mountains from where I used to live and right near where my brother went to school. His laser fretwork is gorgeous.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments