The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-02-2018, 05:35 AM

Default Refinishing tacomas

Hello i have recently bought two tacomas a 1998 DR-20 and a 2003 DM-9 with the intent of refinishing them and selling them. I have some questions. People will still pay more for a refinished tacoma right? Refinishing will add to the value correct? Also one ( possibly both them will need a new pickguard any recommendations as to what would be a good one for resale value? What could I expect to get for these properly finished? Any old finish removing tips? What finish would attract the most buyers? High gloss? Satin? Something else? Thanks macmanmatty.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:40 AM

Check the usual sources - eBay, Reverb, etc. A professional quality refinish job might allow your guitars to sell for about the same as ones with original finish in good condition.

Around these parts, the typical cost of high quality refinishing is likely to be higher than the resulting resale value.

As to doing the work yourself, well, that depends on you. You can make some interesting choices about finish material and style which might appeal to some potential buyers.

Frank Ford
Old 07-02-2018, 10:05 AM

ime, Tacoma's aren't a good investment vehicle be it case queens or rehabbed. That paisley bridge, weird headstock, and legendary finish issues pretty much killed the brand. They sound as they should and play well, but most people don't know what they are.

They are definitely a niche brand and those who know what they want demand bargain prices thereby negating nearly any chance of making a profit after refurbishing costs.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:58 AM

I agree with Arie, you will seriously narrow your sales base choosing Tacoma's to refinish, especially for the price range.
Buy a used 1260 Harmony Sovereign and refinish it, and quadruple your investment.

Ed
Old 07-02-2018, 11:03 AM

I feel for ya'. I had a DR12 that had those finish issues and ended up donating it to the local high school music program (figured a bit of finish bubbling wouldn't bother them).
Old 07-02-2018, 11:52 AM

Didn't mean to harsh the op's buzz but I actually had a DM9 but had to sell because of shoulder problems. It was an open-pore satin finish model and sounded nice and played very easily and nothing was wrong with it. Man, it was a hard sell. Stores, private parties, etc...nobody wanted it. It wasn't because of the price (I have sold a lot of guitars -I price them attractively to move them.) I had to fire sale it in the end.

Last edited by arie; 07-02-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:11 PM

I bought them CHEAP. I should be able to get over 300 apiece for them right?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair