The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-06-2018, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Default Seagull Merlin...

http://www.seagullguitars.com/en/products/m4

These look interesting and fun , especially for all acoustic jamming. Anyone own or play one. I might get one for the non musically inclined wife and play it when she loses interest...
Squier Sonic Pbass
Acoustic 30 watt Bass Amp
Ampeg 20watt bass amp
Old 06-06-2018, 01:19 PM

I've had one since the first came out. Yes, fun to play, and they record well. I'm an old dulcimer hack and I play in the conventional dulcimer position, table style, not strapped on like a guitar. You can pick out melodies, noodle on it for pleasure, or accompany a solo singer.

Issues: not very loud. It isn't going to cut it at an acoustic jam. Strings are very close to the soundboard, so if you use a flat pick with it (as I do) you need be very accurate to keep from hitting the soundboard with the pick tip.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-06-2018, 01:27 PM

Oh, here's what it sounds like in a recording with other instruments. I'm not sure, but I think mic'd it with a iRig Acoustic Stage in the Merlin soundhole.

'Hog-top Seagull Merlin does William Carlos Williams

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-07-2018, 09:18 AM

I've had mine for several years; fun albeit limited. I like taking mine along when backpacking and other activities where the size/weight of a guitar is prohibitive.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I've had one since the first came out. Yes, fun to play, and they record well. I'm an old dulcimer hack and I play in the conventional dulcimer position, table style, not strapped on like a guitar. You can pick out melodies, noodle on it for pleasure, or accompany a solo singer.

Issues: not very loud. It isn't going to cut it at an acoustic jam. Strings are very close to the soundboard, so if you use a flat pick with it (as I do) you need be very accurate to keep from hitting the soundboard with the pick tip.
Same here. It's a well-made instrument that is a lot of fun to play. Because of the fingerboard size and having only four strings, it's much easier for me to play than a mandolin.

+1 on the low string height. Another issue I have with mine is it doesn't stay in tune very well.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:00 PM

I got one of the early Merlins at the NAMM show in 2014. It's fun and easy to play, my granddaughter (just turned four) always grabs it first when she comes to visit, then she grabs a ukulele. I just went to the Seagull site and it seems it is now called the m4. I'm not sure why the change of name but do know that Merlin was the name of Robert and Janet Godin's great dog.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:03 AM

Anyone replace their Merlin strings recently? I haven't played mine in a couple of years, and the (factory) strings probably are getting dull.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments