The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-12-2018, 08:23 AM

Default Jimmy Buffett is very rich

As reported in the New York Times...

Jimmy Buffet’s reported net worth in 2016 was $550. He has had one top 10 song, “Margaritaville.” His contemporary, Bruce Springsteen, who has had many more top ten songs, was estimated to be worth $460 million. "Buffett is so wealthy, in part, because he’s parlayed his drunk beachgoer vibe into an international commercial merchandising juggernaut, one which continues now with the forthcoming Broadway musical, “Escape to Margaritaville.”
Old 02-12-2018, 08:50 AM

It's really interesting that there is a guy here in Indy, Tom Battista, that has been Buffet's stage manager for the last 25 years. Tom has used his "Buffet Money" to open several businesses and restore a bunch of older buildings here in town. He says that Jimmy B. is a really nice guy, as is Tom.

Bluebeard Owner Tom Battista on His Other Job: Jimmy Buffett’s Right-Hand Man
Old 02-12-2018, 08:52 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Jimmy Buffett is very rich.

Yes.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-12-2018, 08:52 AM
Musical minimalist

Parrotheads are faithful folks who will go to incredible lengths to acquire tickets and merchandise. Many probably don't know this but he's also opening a retirement village in Florida (obviously themed after his music).

I was a huge fan until about '85 or so, then the whole concert experience turned into a major spectacle. Didn't seem to be about the music as much any more. There were still some intermittent good tunes on the records after, but it just wasn't the same.

I used to do a 3 hour show once a month for the Michigan fan club "Fins to the North" and play 90% JB songs. It was a fun time for sure (pretty captive audience)

Jimmy's music got me through some rough times back in the day, and I still reach for it (listening and playing) when I find myself getting down.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:18 AM

Here is the article from the Times (it's a very interesting read): https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/08/a...lifestyle.html

He's come a long way from this:
"You get a jar of peanut butter, I'll get a can of sardines.
Running up and down the aisles of the minimart, stickin' food in our jeans.
We never took more that we could eat, there was plenty left on the rack.
And we both swore if we ever got rich, we would pay the mini mart back.
Yessir, Yessir, we would pay the mini mart back"
His early stuff is till a lot of fun to play at open mics because it's fun music and no one recognizes it.

Rick
Old 02-12-2018, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

My favorite radio tune of Jimmy Buffet's is "Come Monday". I was never interested in the whole beach bum thing. However, regarding Jimmy Buffet getting rich, he makes a lot of people feel good, and in return, they are more than willing to pay him for that.

This is how things are supposed work in our economy - make or do something that people want and are willing to pay for, and the larger number of people willing to pay, the more money you make.

I can't begrudge anybody for being successful at whatever they do, as long as it is legal. We have everything from pet rocks to very sophisticated electronic goodies, proving that success can happen for people with most any product with the right marketing behind it.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by M19; 02-12-2018 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Politics
Old 02-12-2018, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
...Many probably don't know this but he's also opening a retirement village in Florida (obviously themed after his music)...
And elsewhere as well. Where do I sign up???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-12-2018, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

To clarify a net worth of $550 is probably at the bottom end of well below poverty level Juss teasin' buddyhu I know you meant 550 mil.

No doubt his casual beach style personna has contributed to his success and endeared him to the flock
That said Mr. Buffett is also a great songwriter. And often the excellence and profundity of some of his writing gets lost in the shadow of his feel good good time music image.

Case in point..... to my mind this is one of the best examples of "profound and poignant observation of life" songs ever written .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-12-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Yes, he really understands developing an image and tying it to merchandising and franchising. So many great, great songs.

Sloppiest live performance by a band charging big bucks I've ever seen though.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 02-12-2018, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
... "Buffett is so wealthy, in part, because he’s parlayed his drunk beachgoer vibe into an international commercial merchandising juggernaut...
On a smaller scale, this is exactly the same thing that Sammy Hagar has done. I saw a fascinating interview with him and he invested in alcohol companies and markets it as a beach bum brand. As well he has restaurants and bars and, apparently, makes much more money off his businesses than off his money and money royalties.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-12-2018, 12:38 PM

I'm not really a fan, but admire his business sense. He's developed this "cult" following with his Parrot-Heads much like the Dead-Heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Sloppiest live performance by a band charging big bucks I've ever seen though.
I've never seen him live. But his guitarist, bassist and drummer are all from St. Louis and were the band PM from the 80's who had one hit, Piece of Paradise. Fantastic album with great songwriting and musicianship. I recall seeing them at a festival in the 80's and their female backup singer was some unknown named Sheryl Crow.

The guitarist, Peter Mayer has done a number of solo projects and is an amazing musician. But he makes his house payment by being part of Jimmy's band!

Here's a clip of him playing acoustic and singing one of his tunes. Talented dude..

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 02-12-2018, 12:41 PM

I think Jimmy Buffet is very rich, but not nearly as rich as his uncle Warren. It often seems the "nack" for making money and wealth runs in families. As long as it's legal, more power to them.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:02 PM

It seems some may have the erroneous belief that I have started this thread to imply a criticism of Buffett, or about rich people. NOT AT ALL!! I endorse the approach that if one makes money via legal and ethical pursuits, it is well-deserved.

I was just surprised to learn that he has a higher net worth than "The Boss". And there was a recent thread about David Cassidy's net worth being less than a million when he died a couple of months ago. And then there are all the guys who make millions and have to declare bankruptcy (remember MC Hammer?). It all boggles my mind a little.

It just goes to show that if you are lucky enough to get inculcated with middle class values (save money; just don't spend your principle and live off the interest, invest in low risk, reliable growth businesses, etc, etc.), you can secure a very comfy future, and accumulate wealth that is (for some, like me) surprising.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
It seems some may have the erroneous belief that I have started this thread to imply a criticism of Buffett, or about rich people. NOT AT ALL!! I endorse the approach that if one makes money via legal and ethical pursuits, it is well-deserved.

I was just surprised to learn that he has a higher net worth than "The Boss". And there was a recent thread about David Cassidy's net worth being less than a million when he died a couple of months ago. And then there are all the guys who make millions and have to declare bankruptcy (remember MC Hammer?). It all boggles my mind a little.

It just goes to show that if you are lucky enough to get inculcated with middle class values (save money; just don't spend your principle and live off the interest, invest in low risk, reliable growth businesses, etc, etc.), you can secure a very comfy future, and accumulate wealth that is (for some, like me) surprising.
I at least did not interpret your post negatively. I agree,the varied stories and circumstances are indeed interesting.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:31 PM

I think he has a genre' that meets a lot of people where they are.
Guys like Jimmy are talented for sure but it's more about the lyrics and the down home delivery than the songs ...and stage presence
I think anyone of us could list a number of artists like him. He certainly struck a chord that continues to resound.
"Come Monday" is my favorite of his and reminds me a little of something Jimmy Webb might write.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic