The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-03-2009, 09:03 AM

I only posed the question of his acquired skill at his young age. He is obviously extraordinary, as is Tommy E..............JB

Last edited by Jay B.; 05-03-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
Great talent...but better than 'blank' ? Why do people always have to take an unknown talent and compare him or her with an established artist ? Please, explain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
....A friend of many years & I were jamming publicly one evening, and someone walked up and asked us ''Which of you is best?'' We just looked at each other and laughed! ...
Yeah, this is what I was getting at with my comment about music not being a sport. Sometimes I’m secretly worried acoustic guitar playing is heading down the same path as rock guitar in the late eighties, where shred guitar basically imploded and turned off the general public to electric guitar in general for a while.

Sometimes it seems like Youtube just perpetuates that stuff -mainly with the comments. I only listened to this one clip, and clearly the kid’s really good, but to me it’s just way too fast. Personally I’d love to hear him play the same tune slowed down about thirty percent. There’s nothing wrong with that kind of speed per say -I’ve often defended Al Di Meola as just being a really passionate guy... But I think to the average listener the technique obscures the music. And I think there is a danger in it career wise.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:07 AM

Something went wrong here trying to post reply. It may or may not be working.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:23 AM

Music is a relative art form, and impossible to measure skill level accurately except by comparison with someone well established. Since we aren't familiar with an unknown, we only have the known for comparison. If you were to say "Wow! This kid completed the Mel Bay book 60 of finger style guitar and now he's on 61, it wouldn't really illustrate the unusually playing level of a SIXTEEN year old guitarist. I mean how many years has this kid been playing to achieve that level of skill. Most people could play their whole lives and never get close! The only thing I know for sure is that he won the AGT competition. And let me stress this, I am a BIG fan of TE! He is one of the most original talents to satisfies my taste in guitar instrumentalists. I DID NOT SAY HE IS BETTER THEN ANYONE! I only posed the question of his acquired skill at his young age. He is obviously extraordinary, as is Tommy E..............JB
Old 05-03-2009, 09:36 AM

I'm trying to get my reply back on, but it won't go for some reson........JB
Old 05-03-2009, 11:27 AM

Default Saw him at CAAS last year

First, just like Tommy, he is a genuinely nice kid. He was jamming with EVERYONE in the hallways. Second, they gave him tons of stage time. He has the presence and the skill to have an outstanding career. He won the Australia's got talent contest last year playing TOmmy's Classical Gas arrangement. You can find that on Youtube as well.

I will become a fan of his as soon as he develops his own style and distances himself from Tommy a bit. Why not be a fan of the original?

I am thoroughly impressed with a lot of the young dudes that are coming up through fingerstyle now. Tommy has inspired a great crop of young players who can flat out jam. The only problem is that too many of them sound just like Tommy. Oh well, at least they are keeping fingerstyle guitar alive.
Fingerpickers: Pat Donohue, Bob Evans, Tommy Emmanuel, Stephen Bennett, Masa Sumide, Eric Lugosch, Martin Taylor, Joe Pass, Jacques Stotzem, Laurence Juber, Rolly Brown, Tuck Andress, Ted Greene, Woody Mann

Rockers: Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Guthrie Govan, Richie Kotzen, Joey Tafolla, Blues Saraceno, Andy Timmons

www.myspace.com/serikulus
www.youtube.com/fingerpickerguy
Old 05-03-2009, 12:50 PM

Technically impressive? Check.

Young kid playing fast? Check.

Am I bored to tears? Check.

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 05-03-2009, 02:57 PM

Default Seriously?

Quote:
Am I bored to tears? Check.
That is pretty strong. One thing I would never say about this dude is that he is boring. I guess I would love to be that boring.
Fingerpickers: Pat Donohue, Bob Evans, Tommy Emmanuel, Stephen Bennett, Masa Sumide, Eric Lugosch, Martin Taylor, Joe Pass, Jacques Stotzem, Laurence Juber, Rolly Brown, Tuck Andress, Ted Greene, Woody Mann

Rockers: Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Guthrie Govan, Richie Kotzen, Joey Tafolla, Blues Saraceno, Andy Timmons

www.myspace.com/serikulus
www.youtube.com/fingerpickerguy
Old 05-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B. View Post
That's what I said! But check this kid out. His name is Joe Robinson and also an Australian born. ...........JB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwG5x...eature=related
Hi Folks,

Frankly, this kid's technique is too good and as min7b5 posted: "Luckily, music is not a sport." I commiserate with that poster in that we can all rationalize why we're not as good as Smokin' Joe Robinson, but I bring this to the discussion--if one results from my acerbic post: When this kid truly gets a feel for the artistic side of music, and coupled with his technical prowess, he may make Chester and Lester and Jerry and Roy look like yesterday's Blue-Plate Special--And I love those guys!

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Give the kid his due. I listened to several of his video clips and he uniformly plays cleanly and with impeccable rhythm. He can play blazingly fast but also slower with feeling. He has quite a future in the guitar world.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-03-2009, 04:06 PM

Hi, I attended one of Joes shows in Frankfurt a few weeks ago. He was here for the music fair. First I also thought he is only another TE Clone, but he is'nt. With his only 17 years he developed his own voice and composes great original music. I doubt that many of us here come even close to the talent he has in the upper portion of his pinky
Anyway - if he get's older and mature and develops the way he does in the last years we will hear great touching music by this young chap!

And please believe me, I had some TE workshops, have attended dozends of his gigs and guess that I can play a bit guitar myself, but this kid blew me away! Don't judge him by the youtube videos. Get his CD and check him out on stage. He is strong!

Best to you all!

Roland Kalus

https://rolandkalus.bandcamp.com/alb...le-autumn-blue
Mcilroy ASP30C
Björn Welsch 000 12fret
Martin Duwe OM 12fret Cut
Stevens OM-P

Martin Duwe Crossover
Gibson L48
AER Amps and PA-Systems
Old 05-03-2009, 04:24 PM

Just thought I'd chime in again, I just want to say that there will come a point when he'll stop being "good for his age" and will have to just be "good". Personally, I try to avoid playing fast, while it doesn't drop any jaws, but music isn't meant to always be played fast, while I can play fast, I just choose not to, because I can make each note mean so much more when I'm playing slowly and making each note count.

That's just me...

Formerly known as, "Will Kirk"
Old 05-03-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepnback View Post
.... Get his CD and check him out on stage. He is strong!
Yes. His first CD, 'Birdseed', shows he's not just an 'acoustic shredder'. To be able to compose and play with feeling as he does and at such a young age to reinforces my belief that he is going to be one of the top acoustic players in the world one day.

http://australianbluesfestival.com.a....aspx?d=448435

Anyway, as I said above I'm seeing him on stage for the first time next Saturday night and I'm really looking forward to it.

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues
Old 05-03-2009, 04:34 PM

The guy is unbelievable.

Jack
Old 05-03-2009, 06:12 PM

I'm thinking that some of the speed is the anxiety and enthusiasm stemming from his new found glory. When I was younger and played a new tune for a appreciative audience, I couldn't help but pick up the pace a little each time. It just happened. It's inevitable that as time goes on and he searches for newer and better pieces to play, his sound will metamorphose into who he really is and the pace will level out. If you can remember a young Stanley Jordan, you will recall the brilliance of his technique and lightening speed. But now that he has evolved, it's as if he has done it all, and simplicity has become the style. In music we all evolve mostly for the better, but if you are a lover of five finger style picking, you'll never get bored with this new kid and his zest for playing as he grows!...................JB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell