The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-03-2018, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Default Temporary "static cling" pickguard on French Polish

I have just gotten my first guitar with a French Polish finish. I'd like to protect it from my fingernails, so I'm considering getting one of those pickguards that doesn't have adhesive, but rather clings to the surface like the oil change stickers they put on your windshield. Can that material damage the French Polish? Are there other options?
Old 07-03-2018, 10:25 AM

French polish takes a while to cure. I use static kling patches on the side of my guitars to attach a Gitano support suction cups to...but I won't leave the static kling overnight until the finish is at least 6 months old.
I don't know of any good options with a new instrument.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ct20 View Post
French polish takes a while to cure. I use static kling patches on the side of my guitars to attach a Gitano support suction cups to...but I won't leave the static kling overnight until the finish is at least 6 months old.
I don't know of any good options with a new instrument.
Thanks for this insight. I could certainly remove it after use until the finish is fully cured.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair