The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-10-2018, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

To have an event you have to have a band. Bigger events have more bands. It's not about the music or entertainment. It gets old being a dancing monkey to make an event for somebody. Unless it's for the money you will get over it.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-10-2018, 03:47 PM

I love outdoor gigs. I do not like small clubs that have you set up at 10 PM and strike at 1.

My strings break constantly in the heat. Other than that...its good.

Indoor gigs are okay..

Being a drummer sucks. You have so much stuff to cart around, I feel for you guys when I see you setting up or breaking down.

D.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
. . . directly in front of a big screen TV showing The Game where they barely turn the sound down during your set, and the bass player has to keep shifting over to his left so customers can get to the WC, and even if they do turn the sound down on the TV the frozen margarita machine is apparently timed to go MMMMBRRRRRRRRGGGGGG whenever you're in the middle of a tender love ballad or introducing the band . . .
YES!! That perfectly sums up my last indoor gig. Awful.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
. . . directly in front of a big screen TV showing The Game where they barely turn the sound down during your set, and the bass player has to keep shifting over to his left so customers can get to the WC, and even if they do turn the sound down on the TV the frozen margarita machine is apparently timed to go MMMMBRRRRRRRRGGGGGG whenever you're in the middle of a tender love ballad or introducing the band . . .

Back when Christian coffee shops were a thing, I would play them pretty frequently. We'd be in the middle of some really heart-felt songs, and someone would ALWAYS start a blender or they would start foaming up a latte. Every. Time.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:28 AM

As a drummer, have you considered moving to an e-drum set? Much easier to move/set up, and the crowd at that type of event isn't going to care you're not using acoustic drums.
Fan + lots of Gatorade for sure. And stop wearing dark clothes on hot days! I never understood people doing that. Sure black is cool looking, but it ain't cool when the sun is beating down on you - neither are thick bluejeans. Take a look at what people wear in the tropics (when not on stage!) - loose linen pants, light breathable loose shirts.

Quote:
Oh yeah, bars are so much fun to play...
So this past Sunday I was playing a solo mid-day show at a coffee shop that is a nice 'listening room' in the evening - with the occasional loud cappuccino machine noise - when all of a sudden I hear police sirens, and looking over my shoulder out the windows I see half a dozen cops on motorcycles, with blue lights going, driving past. Followed my about 200 motorcycles with loud unmuffled exhausts. I just kept playing the same chord progression of my song for a few minutes until they finished going by, then started the song up again.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele