The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-03-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I disagree but I'm not one who automatically sticks with my own team or tribe.
I don't think that's fair if that's supposed to be referring to anyone in this thread without further information. Yes, of course many have a tribe mentality, but many others just call it as they see it, not because other people have told them so.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
I don't think that's fair if that's supposed to be referring to anyone in this thread without further information. Yes, of course many have a tribe mentality, but many others just call it as they see it, not because other people have told them so.
I think people are just getting sick and tired of all the negativity.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-03-2018, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

I get anxiety for standing ovations for standard performances. Like it's a prerequisite for every concert or performance. If you look at all the audience fads over the years it is evident that audiences or large groups of people are taught by pier pressure. Remember Bic lighters?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-03-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I think people are just getting sick and tired of all the negativity.
^ Which is itself a negative statement along with your subsequent post, and that's ok! It's possible to point out the negative things and fight against the mentality or circumstances that gives rise to them while at the same time count one's blessings and see the positive things. Neither ignoring the negative nor ignoring the positive are healthy mindsets to take. There should be a balance.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:46 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
They should consider snapping fingers like the Beatniks did "Totally retro cool man"
Are you aware of the origins of this finger-snapping?

One of the original Greenwich Village venues (can't remember which one) was located in the basement of an apartment building. Loud clapping (or clapping of any kind) would disturb the first-floor tenants...so the finger-snap was implemented...

I think I read this in Dave Van Ronk's book, "The Mayor of Macdougal Street".

Good read...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 10-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

I could not read the article in "The Scotsman" because they won't allow me onto their site because I have an adsblocker so "news is only available if we can sell you something" no thanks.

However, it should be noted that this ridiculous "rule" has been mooted by the student's union, and NOT the university or the board of governors, or anybody "grown up".
Old 10-03-2018, 04:28 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I could not read the article in "The Scotsman" because they won't allow me onto their site because I have an adsblocker so "news is only available if we can sell you something" no thanks.
ALTERNATE SOURCE
Quote:
However, it should be noted that this ridiculous "rule" has been mooted by the student's union, and NOT the university or the board of governors, or anybody "grown up".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Students at Manchester University have banned applause at concerts in the Student Union because it can trigger anxiety.
(new bold for emphasis)

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-03-2018, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Bob, must be a slow news day, (ya think?)

Clapping is great in my book, and I love to hear/see it, but I intensely dislike whooping or screaming.

Perhaps the student's union can moderate their suggestion to stop that.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Are you aware of the origins of this finger-snapping?

One of the original Greenwich Village venues (can't remember which one) was located in the basement of an apartment building. Loud clapping (or clapping of any kind) would disturb the first-floor tenants...so the finger-snap was implemented...

I think I read this in Dave Van Ronk's book, "The Mayor of Macdougal Street".

Good read...
Interesting I had no idea. I first saw it being done in one of the coffee houses in the area around Portland State University maybe 63 -64 just before the hippies more or less replaced the beatniks in the counterculture world . I'll have to give it a read as I am somewhat aware of Van Ronk's prominence in the Village scene

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-04-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
I did not make any aim other than it's ridiculous for so many to constantly in essence say the world is ridiculous or going to ___. There are no doubt problems but also a ridiculous concentration on a few negative bits and not enough regard for the statistics that also show things are not so bad.

A negative attitude is poisonous and only makes it harder for those of us who collaborate, reach across boundaries and are in general sleeves rolled up at always trying to do something good and get stuff done.

I know everyone can do better. I'm just one of those people who forces optimism on myself kind of like I forced not being fat or forced trying to play a musical instrument and other stuff.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:56 AM

Maybe the performers should play air guitar.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:31 AM
Guitar Gourmet

The O.P. (me) wasn't negative about the world. I merely pointed out that the emperor has no new clothes. The person who can't titter a little about the emperor (culture) going about philosophically nude might be overweeningly serious. Or perhaps negative. I prefer to laugh and prefer to do it rather a lot. And clap.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-04-2018, 06:56 AM

I guess my applause app would be banned also but it's so fun to see peoples reaction when canned applause out does theirs.

https://sites.google.com/site/leebla...<br /> <br />https://www.youtube.com/user/lroyb83
Old 10-04-2018, 07:27 AM

This ban is for Student Union meetings - not necessarily for 'performances'. In that context it doesn't seem that crazy since the audience is there for informative or political reasons and are not necessarily all of the same ilk.

Applause has long been banned in the House of Commons in the UK and they get a good telling off if anyone partakes.

A concert audience, on the other hand, share an appreciation of the particular performance and know what to expect. In this situation, applause is part of the event and would be ridiculous without it. But that's not what this is about.

YouTube
Old 10-04-2018, 07:43 AM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
This ban is for Student Union meetings - not necessarily for 'performances'. In that context it doesn't seem that crazy since the audience is there for informative or political reasons and are not necessarily all of the same ilk.

Applause has long been banned in the House of Commons in the UK and they get a good telling off if anyone partakes.

A concert audience, on the other hand, share an appreciation of the particular performance and know what to expect. In this situation, applause is part of the event and would be ridiculous without it. But that's not what this is about.
Ozzy, thanks for sharing the details omitted in much of the news reports. It appears from your post, the students appear to be adopting the similar practice of the House of Commons for their meetings. It really makes this news "much ado about nothing" or as SM stated earlier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
must be a slow news day, (ya think?)
Here is the link to BBC article describing the events where the new policy will apply are "Under the new measures, BSL clapping will be used at student events such as debates, panels and talks."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-45717841

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 10-04-2018 at 08:17 AM. Reason: add link

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic