The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-29-2018, 08:05 AM

Default Seam separation stabilization

Hello all, new guy to the forum.

I recently bought a cheapo acoustic-electric that someone before me spent a lot of time on setting it up. It plays flawlessly to my tastes with very low action, and sounds pretty good too.

But...

There is a small area just about where your arm rests on the body that has raised up a tiny bit. (See photos). I can push down on this area and it won't move.

My question is, what I can I do myself to help make sure this doesn't separate any worse?

Thanks in advance!

I can't seem to get the "Insert Image" to work, so here is a direct link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EbvjJhMzr8sgn46P7

Last edited by Larry_S; 07-29-2018 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Added photos
Old 07-29-2018, 06:23 PM

Small explanation to explain the problem you may encounter.

The edge of your guitar is machined slightly away on the sides and top to allow a strip of binding fitted, this area internally has kerfing which provides strength and rigidity to the join.

The top of your guitar is thinned around the outer edge to create a shelf to allow purfling to sit on (decorative strip)the area under the shelf may be supported by some kerfing or may not be.

By the picture you supplied, the wood on the top at the start of the purfling area is possibly moving, this means the machined shelf into the top is likely broken at this location, the kerfing providing the strength to the joint may also be broken.

To fix, the kerfing needs to be removed from the area, a reinforcement strip needs to be placed under the broken shelf area and then kerfing put back in.

Not hard job, but also not a job for those faint of heart

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 07-30-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:04 PM

It looks to me that it was repaired (not too nicely) and thus not loose at this point.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:43 AM

I see no evidence of a repair in that area. The ragged chipping where the finish is broken tells me so.....

Looks like an impact caused this, whether or not the kerfing inside is broken cannot be seen in these pictures. Sometimes the top just pops from the kerfing and can be glued back down without to much trouble. The reason it does not move under pressure is likely a small sliver of wood from the break is misaligned and will not allow the top back down. This will need addressed before it can be glued.

The inside of the damage needs inspected before any real repair plan can be formulated.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Howard View Post
I see no evidence of a repair in that area. The ragged chipping where the finish is broken tells me so.....

Looks like an impact caused this, whether or not the kerfing inside is broken cannot be seen in these pictures. Sometimes the top just pops from the kerfing and can be glued back down without to much trouble. The reason it does not move under pressure is likely a small sliver of wood from the break is misaligned and will not allow the top back down. This will need addressed before it can be glued.

The inside of the damage needs inspected before any real repair plan can be formulated.
What you're seeing as ragged chipped finish, I was seeing as glue in a poorly done job.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:41 AM

Thank you all for the info. Next time I change strings I'll try to get a mirror in there to see what's going on better.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:58 PM

Never hurts to push in some Titebond and clamp it down.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair