The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-02-2015, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbla4024 View Post
Going from Furch 31 to 34 gives you:
1) Bound fingerboard
2) Diamond inlay
3) Herringbone purfling
4) Abalone rosette
5) Aged spruce top

Number 5) is quite significant.
Thanks for that info!
I hear the aged tops on larrivees are a big buying for the people who buy furch. I assume it makes a big difference, is it really a lot 'better'?
Also I read some people who had complaints about the furch guitar some apparently have some issues, do you or anyone else perhaps know more about this?

I also read about people considering the sound of furch guitars comparable to collings for example, is that actually a fair comparison to make?

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2015, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

the 40 is braced differently than the 03. I would not want an 03 myself as I would rather have the scalloped bracing of the 40. Just me. I only say this becasue of my experience with that OM-50. Different bird than the regular larrivee models..I have owned several of them in the past and none could compare to this 50.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:45 AM

My OM experience with Larrivee has not been positive, but is was an 03 model. The new 40 and 50 models that have the scalloped bracing may be a different story.

Eastman makes a great sounding guitar, but be warned, the finish is very thin and they dings pretty easy. From what I have read the thin finish is what helps the Eastman sound as good as they do but it is something to think about.

Furch/Stonebridge are my picks for guitars these days. I have owned 4 Stonebridges and each have been stellar. My current guitar is a Stonebridge OM32SMDB and it is as good as any guitar comes. I have sold Collings, Bourgeois, Martins and numerous customs and kept the Stonebridge.

Go play as many as you can and make a decision based on you ears and your hands. Good luck!
Kendall
2022 Yamaha FG5
2010 Taylor DN3
Old 02-02-2015, 08:41 AM

I'd go for the Eastman.. love the playability and sound! Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:43 AM

Thanks so much for all the replies! I tried a lot of guitars today, including a nee martin 000-18E retro which was superior to everything else I tried (3000€ + guitars too). It just has something special. It is on hold for me right now and I am picking it up tomorrow. I haven't tried any furchs yet but this particular martin is just so special to me I don't think I really have to try the furch still, though maybe you guys will convince me to try it anyway? Haha
I am still curious how the 000-18 compares to a 000-28EC and maybe some of collings' offerings.
I also tried a really really sweet lowden which I consider on the par with this particular martin but the lowden is way above my budget at 5000+€ so it is not an option. Also the lowden and martin are two completely different guitars of course but I liked them equally.

Edit: I was quite disapointed with the larrivee, it just didn't sound as good as the other guitars they had in it's price range.

Last edited by lespaulnmarshal; 02-02-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:31 AM

You are trying to compare apples to oranges to bananas.

The Larrivees are not in the same class as the Eastmans or Furches, the Larrvieeas are a full step up in class in terms of quality of woods and construction. The Eastmans and Furches are more comparable to each other.

But as always, try them all and buy the one you like - that is the only important thing.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 02-02-2015, 11:26 AM

I have had a ton of time with Furch's and Eastmans. I own each brand.

I would put Furch's and Stonebridges WAYYYYY above Eastmans. Not only in build quality, but richness of tone as well.

My Eastman is "GREAT" my Furch is "WOW"!!!!!

Any Furch I've ever played has been WOW!! I've played about 10 different Furch/Stonebridge guitars.

Everytime they have delivered.

EXCEPTIONAL!!
Old 02-02-2015, 11:46 AM

I am not that experienced but I can say Eastman guitars tend to be fragile on the finish side, easy to get bump and cracks. I would also say i find their mahogany back and side guitars to bright, just like Blueridge.
The larrivee guitars I played were beautiful regarding craftsmanship and set up, the fingerboard radius is flat, you love it or hate it!
But I heard much strings and not so much the guitar.
Furch, I wasn't impressed, didn't understand the praises. they sounded like Taylor guitars.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
You are trying to compare apples to oranges to bananas.

The Larrivees are not in the same class as the Eastmans or Furches, the Larrvieeas are a full step up in class in terms of quality of woods and construction. The Eastmans and Furches are more comparable to each other.

But as always, try them all and buy the one you like - that is the only important thing.
Sorry to disagree, Furch is a step above the other two , I would go for the Furch especially their vintage line

Furch OM 32 SM
Cordoba Maple Fusion 14
Jackson US Soloist
Esp Horizon NT-2
Old 02-21-2015, 01:15 PM

Never played a Lurch. Every Larrivee OM I've played was very good, but not inspiring (to me). I played three mahogany/Adirondack Eastman OMs a couple of weeks ago. They were all very good. One was spectacular. Not great to look at -- an unevenly streaky top that even showed through the burst, brighter than a Martin and very powerful.

P
Old 02-21-2015, 01:28 PM

I'm quite surprised that one of the main differences has not been mentioned / discussed yet:

While the Eastman E20 OM comes with a red spruce top, both the Furch and the Larrivee are made using Sitka spruce.

The differences between red spruce and Sitka have been discussed I don't know how many times.
In short:
Sitka:warmer
Red spruce: more bell-like, cleaner sounding.

I've never played the Furch or the Larrivee, but I've owned an Eastman E20OM for about 4 years now.
It's a great guitar, very well made, very resonant, plays great, bell-like, sparkling but also warm, I'd say somewhere in between a Martin and a Collings, very nice and thin Nitro finish.
I cannot confirm they would tend to be more fragile on the finish side, getting bumps or cracks.

Very versatile, great for fingerpicking, strumming, flatpicking.

Michael
Old 02-15-2017, 08:32 PM

It really depends. Some songs sound better on a Larrivee, others a furch. I wouldn't even bother with Eastman. I've seen major QC issues with them.

I'd put Larrivee and furch in the same league (along with Taylor and Martin).

I'd put Eastman in the same league as blueridge guitars.

And I just realized I necrod this thread. Sorry!

Last edited by BlRdgMtns; 02-15-2017 at 08:33 PM. Reason: U
Old 02-15-2017, 08:40 PM

-----//---------///
Old 02-16-2017, 12:05 AM

Furch/Stonebridge then Larivees...close in proximity. I have owned a few of each. The OM's in the Stonebridge line are beautiful in sound and finish. OM40R in the Larrivees if you can find one.

Eastman make amazing mandolins for the money but my experience of their guitars has been varied...akin to Blueridge.

Get a Stoney or a Larry....I have owned over a 100 guitars including Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, Goodall, Martin, Gibson and custom builds.

for the money a good Stonebridge or Larrivee OM even used is the best bang for the buck and sound as you can find...
Martin OOO-16E
Furch Cedar/Mahogany OM
Eastman E3OME
Avian Songbird 3
Blue Lion Force/D'Oscche dulcimer
Blue Lion Style IIRW dulcimer
Blue Lion Jam Cedar Walnut dulcimer
McCafferty Chromatic Custom dulcimer
Northfield, Silverangel, Eastman, Big Muddy Mandolins
Old 10-20-2018, 05:03 PM

Furch is way above Eastman in terms of tone and quality IMO. Concerning my small experience with Larrivee, I still prefer the Furch I have played, but I have only played two Larrivee, but a dozen of Furch, so that may not be a fair comparaison.
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion