The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-05-2010, 05:39 PM

Default Are Simon and Patrick guitars any good?

Looking for a new guitar but on a bit of a budget, I can stretch to a Yamaha LL16 which I heard has a nice sound but I like the look of the spruce S&P

does anyone have experience with these guitars?

thankyou
Old 11-05-2010, 05:41 PM

They're part of the Godin family of brands (along with Seagull, Art & Lutherie, etc.) all of which generally have a reputation for good value.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:21 PM

I've owned several.... Love them! Great bang for the buck.... Heck just a great guitar period Not trying to say they're better than xxxxx dollar guitars but I personally sold my Martin and Taylor after getting my EIR Showcase. It had the tone I was looking for which was a combination of the two.... My oldest pro model is 16-17 years old and has held up exceptionally well. No issues at all.

Are you looking for any info in particular?

'79 Yairi Limited edition DY-50 #031 of 900
Yairi Dy74, Dy75, DY77
S & P Showcase Rosewood AER
S & P Pro Curly Maple
S & P Pro rosewood
'64 Martin Baritone Ukulele
Kala LE Spruce & Spalted/Flamed Maple Baritone
Lanikai Mahogany Tenor
Lots of percussion stuff

Life is like music; it must be composed by ear, feeling, and instinct, not by rule
Old 11-05-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarpix View Post

Are you looking for any info in particular?
Yes I was looking into the Spruce simon and patrick model, However is there a big difference between the pro (I assume this is solid wood right?) and the laminated back and sides version? (sound quality)

Do you know how much more $$ the solid wood is? thankyou
Old 11-05-2010, 07:55 PM

I've got a 1994 Simon and Patrick Pro Rosewood that I used as my main gigging guitar for more than a decade. Good quality guitar with a solid sitka spruce top, solid rosewood back and laminated rosewood sides. Held up very well under some less than ideal conditions of heat and humidity at many an outdoor Florida venue. Its still a good sounding and playing guitar.

I haven't played any of the S&P models with laminate back and sides but I have played a number of Seagulls (as previously mentioned, they are made by the same company, Godin) of that description and found them to be really nice guitars as well. In fact I liked the cedar topped version enough to buy one. Excellent value!

I don't know what the price difference may be between the solid wood S&P models and the laminates but if you have an opportunity to play them both you could decide for yourself if the difference in price is reflected in the sound and playability of the instrument enough to justify the extra expenditure for a solid wood model.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-06-2010, 01:26 AM
Charter Member

I agree that S&P are good value for money. I've also preferred them to most of the Yamahas that I've played. But that's purely subjective.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 09-30-2015, 07:29 PM

Default Simon & Patrick Guitars are fantastic

I have three Simon and Patrick Woodland Pro models that are all solid wood: a parlor w/ a very fine sunburst finish, a Folk model and a Mini Jumbo. Sitka spruce with solid mahogany back and sides. I won't part with any of them.

Now I want a nice Larrivee dreadnought or a Larrivee "L" model guitar, or possibly a Martin dread (I like the Martin D-17m model a lot!) I'm ready for a loud acoustic guitar, and one that will keep or increase in value.

Here follows a link to a good review of the S & P Woodland Pro Parlor Sunburst HD. I think this model sounds about as good — possibly better in some ways — as the Gibson L-00 model, but at one-third the price. Absolutely love mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Ne64r6zxA
Old 09-30-2015, 08:53 PM

I've owned several Simon & Patrick guitars, and still own a 6 string dreadnought. They're structurally identical to Seagull guitars, but I've often found that I prefer the neck profile on the Simon & Patricks to the Seagulls. They feel a bit smoother, somehow.

Anyway, they represent an excellent value and provide good tone and playability at very reasonable price.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-30-2015, 09:00 PM

I have a Simon and Patrick Woodland Pro Folk (and a couple of Martins)...the Simon and Patrick is just as enjoyable, very well designed and well made. A good guitar, a good choice.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:09 PM

(Comment removed)

Last edited by titanNV; 11-02-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:32 PM

To echo the sentiments of the previous comments, S&Ps are terrific guitars at great prices.

I recently purchased a S&P Showcase. I LOVE it. Adirondack top, solid Honduran Mahogany back and sides, Maple binding. I threw on some Grover tuners and a Colosi saddle. I consider it my "poor man's" D 18.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:39 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I have a Seagull Coastline Cedar folk (soundclip below). I've found that using silk and steel or Martin Monel retros sound best on it. I put a small sound port in it. I'm very happy with it, and it came with a decent hardshell case. It has developed a nice bluesy, almost Martin dreadlike tone to it over the years. Its about 8 years old.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-30-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I've owned several Simon & Patrick guitars, and still own a 6 string dreadnought. They're structurally identical to Seagull guitars, but I've often found that I prefer the neck profile on the Simon & Patricks to the Seagulls. They feel a bit smoother, somehow.

Anyway, they represent an excellent value and provide good tone and playability at very reasonable price.

Wade Hampton Miller
The S&P dreads do have a slightly different body shape than the Seagull dreads, but otherwise, I completely agree.

OP, check out slighlytouchedguitar.blogspot.com. I've bought several guitars from Gary and will be adding this little beauty soon..

Old 09-30-2015, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

S&P are part of the Godin family of guitars... they are okay, not great (nor do they portend to be)... they are low to low-middle in the acoustic price spectrum, and as frequently happens with acoustic guitars, will vary a fair amount, so play one before you buy it! Who knows? You may find that diamond in the rough...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-01-2015, 12:34 AM
Charter Member

I used to own this one. I liked it a lot, though I traded it for a nylon string guitar.

They make pretty good, affordable guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion