The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-20-2018, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMEkneurauter View Post
Cherry burst all the way - that's the only historically accurate color they offer currently.

Montana is making the best guitars today than they ever have. At CME - we go through all of them upon arrival and in the rare event one's a dud - it gets sent back to Montana.
Good to know about the consistency. That has not bee the consensus around this forum lately. I recently got a J-45 cutaway and it is very good. But I did invest in my guitar tech doing some final fret leveling. The rosewood FB grain is not the best I've seen, but the guitar plays and sounds great. So fun that I am looking into Southern Jumbo's or maybe trying to find a cutaway J-185.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-20-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMEkneurauter View Post
Cherry burst all the way - that's the only historically accurate color they offer currently.
Pretty sure in the 60s they offered Hummingbirds in natural finish.
'11 Martin HD-28V
'16 Yamaha FG180 50th anniversary
'18 Gibson Southern Jumbo
'20 Guild F-512 MPL
Old 10-20-2018, 05:25 PM

Question ¿ Gibson Humming Bird ?

¿ Can one get a cutaway ?

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 10-20-2018, 11:58 PM

Like most Gibsons, play before you buy. But a good Hummingbird is worth every penny and hard to beat. Heck any good Gibson is hard to beat.

As others said check out the Sigma Hummingbird copy over the Epi. I have a Martin 00-15m Sigma copy (Sigma 00m-15) and it is a stellar guitar for what you pay, especially if you can snag one used.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:34 AM

Their quite a few posts about the comparison of a real gibson and a Epiphone .
They look alike but thats about it.
Gibsons are hit and miss , if you get a good one its a treasure ,
but theirs alot of dog with fleas out their -so dont buy one without first trying it -
Buying one online can be disasterous -
Old 10-21-2018, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbert View Post
Pretty sure in the 60s they offered Hummingbirds in natural finish.
I own a 1968 Hummingbird with a natural top, cherry back and sides.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasinaz View Post
Like most Gibsons, try before you buy. They all seem to sound quite different from one to the other.
That is a myth that keeps getting perpetuated on this forum. Gibsons differ no more or nor less than Martin, Taylor or any other manufacturer. Every Gibson I have owned or played has sounded fantastic.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Like most Gibsons, try before you buy. They all seem to sound quite different from one to the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
That is a myth that keeps getting perpetuated on this forum. Gibsons differ no more or nor less than Martin, Taylor or any other manufacturer. Every Gibson I have owned or played has sounded fantastic.
I wasn't trying to perpetuate a myth. I just gave an account of my recent experiences in playing a bunch of new Gibsons, over the past month or so. In my quote above I said "They all seem to sound quite different from one to the other." One person may think an instrument sounds great, while another person may not be as impressed. Each one will sound different, even within the same model line. That's why I said try before you buy. I own a Songwriter Studio DLX and a J-45, that play and sound beautiful to me. I played 5 or 6 J-45s before I found the one that sounded the best to me. Someone else might have picked another one that sounded best to them...

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-21-2018 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Corrected quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylekot View Post
Can anybody shed any light on the Epiphone vs Gibson Hummingbirds?

I know they won't be the same......but is it even close?
Only to a deaf person.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I wasn't trying to perpetuate a myth. I just gave an account of my recent experiences in playing a bunch of new Gibsons, over the past month or so. In my quote above I said "They all seem to sound quite different from one to the other." One person may think an instrument sounds great, while another person may not be as impressed. Each one will sound different, even within the same model line. That's why I said try before you buy. I own a Songwriter Studio DLX and a J-45, that play and sound beautiful to me. I played 5 or 6 J-45s before I found the one that sounded the best to me. Someone else might have picked another one that sounded best to them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
Buying one online can be disastrous.
...Really?

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-21-2018 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Corrected quotes
Old 10-21-2018, 02:05 PM

Sometimes I worry about buying online also.

Last edited by D280818; 10-21-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
This is true, but also for other brands: I played two FG180s, even the shop clerk informed me one was better. And he was right, one had a more open tone. I also had for a certain time two Guild CV2Cs and one had more magic and the other. For Martins, I also noticed a certain variance among different guitars and same model.

Guitars are made of wood, an organic material, and therefore they cannot be as consistent as something made of metal like a saxophone for instance.
'11 Martin HD-28V
'16 Yamaha FG180 50th anniversary
'18 Gibson Southern Jumbo
'20 Guild F-512 MPL

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-21-2018 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Corrected quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:41 AM

Both my Gibson’s were gifts from my wife, and both are great sounding guitars. My J45tv is excellent. My favorite guitar. Both were purchased from an online source.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion