The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2018, 09:50 PM

Default When a "lesser" guitar is liked better than. . .

. . . a "superior" guitar.

Tonight I was at church playing my GS Mini, plugged through an LR Baggs Para DI and straight to the PA. I was the only musician on stage, BTW. After the service, a friend of mine, a non-musician, told me he liked the tone of my Mini better than my bigger guitars. He particularly mentioned (in his own words) liking the focus and direct tone (which I'm assuming he was talking about the natural compression and the warm midrange.)

How many of you have been told that a "lesser" guitar sounds better than a supposedly better or more recognizable guitar?
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 10-19-2018, 10:02 PM

I am really liking my Recording King Century 33 "Dirty Thirties" satin finish black 000. MOP (not real mop) finger board. Sounds great for blues / rag finger picking. Has 1 11/16" nut and neck is on the thinner side - not too thin, but just right.

They come in satin black, blue, and sunburst. Also the red, white & blue Buck Owens Americana model which is the same guitar minus the MOP fret board.

Solid top and "whitewood" back & sides. Vibrates just as nice as more $$ guitars, yes sir indeed.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:36 PM
Guest 728

“Lesser” can definitely be better, but once you amplify it, I really question how much of the tone is the guitar and how much is the pickup, pre-amp, and PA.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:36 PM

When you start comparing the sound of guitars with pickups, everything changes.
I love my Martin D-35 acoustically but it isn't my go to stage guitar.
You can use smaller guitars when using a pickup and get great results. This also goes for expensive compared to cheaper guitars.
No need for an expensive stage guitar unless you are using a mix only and no pickups.
It's all good.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:16 AM

pickups change everything. My Big Baby is my go to guitar for playing live it sounds phenomenal through the session Di with the JJB. I would put it up against any other guitar plugged in.

However unplug it and it doesn’t hold a candle to the majority of guitars out there.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 10-20-2018, 06:37 AM

My Yamaha FGX730SC (A.R.T. equipped) sounds better than the AC3R (SRT equipped) I had. Plugged in.

I just picked up a used A1M and I've gotta say, I think it sounds better than the AC3R did too.

Right now I'm "down-graded" to solid topped laminate b/s guitars for my Yamahas and I am very pleased with the tone from them all.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:38 AM

From another perspective, it also reflects that tastes vary. Small guitars (and "smaller" tone) have been on the rise for quite some time. In today's music, at least at mainstream level, the "big" acoustic tone isn't as present as back in the day.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 10-20-2018, 06:40 AM

I suppose that my 2 guitars are "lesser". And I like them.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

I think when the lesser guitar it complimented, it's actually the player who is being complimented. You should feel good!
Old 10-20-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
. . . a "superior" guitar.

Tonight I was at church playing my GS Mini, plugged through an LR Baggs Para DI and straight to the PA. I was the only musician on stage, BTW. After the service, a friend of mine, a non-musician, told me he liked the tone of my Mini better than my bigger guitars. He particularly mentioned (in his own words) liking the focus and direct tone (which I'm assuming he was talking about the natural compression and the warm midrange.)

How many of you have been told that a "lesser" guitar sounds better than a supposedly better or more recognizable guitar?
Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
When you start comparing the sound of guitars with pickups, everything changes.
I love my Martin D-35 acoustically but it isn't my go to stage guitar.
You can use smaller guitars when using a pickup and get great results. This also goes for expensive compared to cheaper guitars.
No need for an expensive stage guitar unless you are using a mix only and no pickups.
It's all good.
As soon as you plug in, everything changes. That's the fact, Jack. I'm not sure how different the ES-B pickup system is to the ES-2 besides the digital tuner in the pre-amp (assuming you have an ES-B). But it's a piezo pickup, so it's going to amplify the vibrations at the bridge so the body's sound is less in play. Just like L20A, my D35 kills everything else I own acoustically, but isn't my main stage guitar. Think about the electric world where plugging in is almost a requirement. Many electrics are nothing more than a neck bolted onto a slab of wood- and sound awesome if the amp pushing the sound is decent and set well.

...But one more thought.... Is it possible that for whatever reason when you plug in the GS-Mini is EQ'd better than the "larger" guitars for the system you're plugged into? You've got a Baggs preamp. Have you tried different EQ settings during a sound check?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-20-2018, 10:11 AM

lesser and sounds are two very subjective terms. as with everything on the agf, it is all subjective.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-20-2018, 11:22 AM

My ES2 Koa GS Mini sounds AMAZING plugged in at church, but unplugged isn’t even in the same ballpark as my full-size guitars tone-wise. The GS mini is a fantastic guitar and I’d play it onstage anywhere. I don’t consider it a lesser guitar, it’s just like a compact car, that a manufacturer makes to go along with their full-size models.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-20-2018, 11:32 AM

Yes, once you put anything--mic, amp, effects, EQ, etc., into a signal, the nuances of the tone of one acoustic instrument vs. another is pretty much nullified.

I have had the experience the OP brought up, but mostly with electric instruments.

I used to own a pre-CBS Fender P bass, but my early 80s MIJ Tokai P clone was every bit as good playing and sounding, and it got all the gig time since I paid $75 for it and the vintage one had more value. In fact, I traded it for an amp rig and some cash.

Electric guitars I've had this happen more often. I was mainly a Tele player and owned some nice ones.

One day I took a cheap plywood Vester brand Tele knockoff to band practice and my mates liked the sound of it better than the late 80s MIA Fender Tele.

Around 1998 or 99 I went Tele shopping with enough scratch to get a new MIA Fender Tele. I went to a GC and two local mom and pops...played a good 6 or 8 nice ones--a couple of which were gently used-- and they were darn fine Teles, but I kept coming back to a 4-5 year old Made in Mexico Tele that to me just played and sounded better to my hands and ears.

It went home with me and I saved about $1100.

- John Shedd
Old 10-20-2018, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

You could just get a block of wood and strap some strings and a pickup on it, and when you plug it into a bunch of effects and an amp, it could sound pretty good and be much cheaper compared to trying to add all that to a nice acoustic guitar.

Oh wait - they call that an electric guitar -
Old 10-20-2018, 10:52 PM

Yes I totally agree , my Yamaha LLTA blows me away every time I play it
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion