The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-12-2018, 08:37 PM

Default The Acoustic Guitar Itch...

So usually I take a little break from things. Probably the longest break I've taken here since I joined. After the Artisan Show in April, things weren't going too well for me personally. This ended up taking its toll on my physically as well, as I found comfort in the one thing that I knew would provide it - food!

I had lost weight in February after a strange infection in my ears, throat, and large intestine. But after Artisan, the stress of work and personal issues just made me eat more and more, to the point where I ditched my XL clothing in favor of 2X.

This came to a head in August. Four of my friends also have birthdays in August, and we decided to celebrate together with a home cookout. A group photo was posted on Facebook. When I saw it later, I was mortified. My cheeks looked like a baboon that was storing food, my neck disappeared under my 5 chins, and my 2X shirt was tight. I went to the bathroom for a week without looking at the mirror I was so ashamed of myself.

Have no clue what motivated me to do so, but for years I kept hearing the commercial on the radio - lose 20 to 45 pounds safe and naturally, without hormones, and without feeling hungry, and without buying pre-packaged food. I decided to give them a call and schedule a consultation, which led me to joining the program.

Now, seven-and-a-half weeks in, I'm down 55 pounds, and I haven't felt or looked this way in about 16 years. I'm back to my L sized clothing and my waist is 3 sizes smaller. I don't wake in the middle of the night from my own snoring or catching my breath anymore. Also have some newfound energy, and a renewed desire to pursue my passions. Which I suppose brought me back here.

I had booked a room for Woodstock a while back, but now I'm truly excited to return and visit some friends and familiar faces! I hadn't been totally guitar-dormant. I pretty much overhauled my electric guitar collection, sold off some of my higher priced guitars that I never played, and got some that I don't mind or fear taking out to play daily. Built more electric guitars this year than acoustics, ironically. But I still have projects ready to return to, and a LOT of catching up to do!
Old 10-13-2018, 01:50 AM

"Energy is eternal delight." William Blake

I am glad that you are coming back into balance, and are feeling so much better. Bodies don't like to be over fed, though psyches sometimes manufacture cravings that override the feedback if the body...
Old 10-13-2018, 02:46 AM
Charter Member

Hey, Louie... welcome back! Glad things are going better. Keep up the good work and keep playing.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:21 AM

Congrats on the lifestyle turnaround! Glad you've got your mojo back.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-13-2018, 07:23 AM

Glad to see you back, Louie - how about some pics of those electrics you've been building...?
Old 10-13-2018, 07:25 AM

So glad to hear of your success, Louie. I lost about 85 lbs. (gained for the same reasons) back in 2015, and it's definitely a freeing thing to be at a healthy weight. As you have discovered, it's not only an issue of health but also emotion/mindset.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Great job with turning things around. I’ve been battling weight for years, complicated with some other health issues. It’s not easy, but I need to turn it around. Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 10-13-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
So glad to hear of your success, Louie. I lost about 85 lbs. (gained for the same reasons) back in 2015, and it's definitely a freeing thing to be at a healthy weight. As you have discovered, it's not only an issue of health but also emotion/mindset.
WOW, congrats! Yes, it's amazing what a boost of confidence it can be...

Quote:
Glad to see you back, Louie - how about some pics of those electrics you've been building...?
Here's one:
20180411_013702 by Louie Atienza, on Flickr

Quote:
Great job with turning things around. I’ve been battling weight for years, complicated with some other health issues. It’s not easy, but I need to turn it around. Thanks for the inspiration!
I had almost given up, even to the point earlier this year of donating most of my "smaller" clothing. Luckily I did keep some, which were gifts from the wife. Funny thing is, when she gave them to me they were tight; now they fit just right! My only advice is to keep at it. And weigh yourself every day. Seeing the number go down, even if it's only .2lb, is reason to celebrate and motivation to continue. Finding a program that you can understand, and stick to, is key.

Quote:
"Energy is eternal delight." William Blake

I am glad that you are coming back into balance, and are feeling so much better. Bodies don't like to be over fed, though psyches sometimes manufacture cravings that override the feedback if the body...
Yes, it is so easy to confuse cravings and hunger, and it's something I struggled with in the past, and still do on occasion. It's hard to work somewhere where pounds of bacon are cooked every morning, and not walk by with my mouth salivating like a rabid dog. I have such a wide palate and there's almost no food I don't like (and even if I didn't I have a knack of acquiring a taste).

The other big factor was learning why I had these cravings, and maybe more importantly, why was I feeling hungry constantly.

Quote:
Hey, Louie... welcome back! Glad things are going better. Keep up the good work and keep playing.
Thanks! Still have a ways to go, but I've gotten so many compliments and encouragement that I have the confidence to succeed. And it really is a self-motivating thing.

It was a bit of work - aside from keeping a journal, I bought proteins (meat, poultry, fish) in bulk to portion by weight and freeze. My freezer looks like one in a laboratory. But it makes the preparation of food so much easier, as I'm not one to cook, then refreeze food. Which got me to try different recipes and spices to keep things exciting. It almost became fun, creating new dishes, but keeping within the guidelines of the diet.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post

Gorgeous wood there - do you do any original designs or just stick to the classics...?
Old 10-13-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
So usually I take a little break from things. Probably the longest break I've taken here since I joined. After the Artisan Show in April, things weren't going too well for me personally. This ended up taking its toll on my physically as well, as I found comfort in the one thing that I knew would provide it - food!

I had lost weight in February after a strange infection in my ears, throat, and large intestine. But after Artisan, the stress of work and personal issues just made me eat more and more, to the point where I ditched my XL clothing in favor of 2X.

This came to a head in August. Four of my friends also have birthdays in August, and we decided to celebrate together with a home cookout. A group photo was posted on Facebook. When I saw it later, I was mortified. My cheeks looked like a baboon that was storing food, my neck disappeared under my 5 chins, and my 2X shirt was tight. I went to the bathroom for a week without looking at the mirror I was so ashamed of myself.

Have no clue what motivated me to do so, but for years I kept hearing the commercial on the radio - lose 20 to 45 pounds safe and naturally, without hormones, and without feeling hungry, and without buying pre-packaged food. I decided to give them a call and schedule a consultation, which led me to joining the program.

Now, seven-and-a-half weeks in, I'm down 55 pounds, and I haven't felt or looked this way in about 16 years. I'm back to my L sized clothing and my waist is 3 sizes smaller. I don't wake in the middle of the night from my own snoring or catching my breath anymore. Also have some newfound energy, and a renewed desire to pursue my passions. Which I suppose brought me back here.

I had booked a room for Woodstock a while back, but now I'm truly excited to return and visit some friends and familiar faces! I hadn't been totally guitar-dormant. I pretty much overhauled my electric guitar collection, sold off some of my higher priced guitars that I never played, and got some that I don't mind or fear taking out to play daily. Built more electric guitars this year than acoustics, ironically. But I still have projects ready to return to, and a LOT of catching up to do!
Louie, just wonderful. I am beyond proud of you. Seriously. How did you lose all that weight? Be proud of yourself!!! I am.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Gorgeous wood there - do you do any original designs or just stick to the classics...?
I have a couple in the works now... Still in the CAD phase, but I do have all the woods selected. A lot of what I'm asked to do right now is standard stuff, though I try to use really nice woods...

20180320_141050 by Louie Atienza, on Flickr

20180320_141109 by Louie Atienza, on Flickr

Quote:
Louie, just wonderful. I am beyond proud of you. Seriously. How did you lose all that weight? Be proud of yourself!!! I am.
Thanks you so much for the kind words and encouragement. I enrolled in a local diet program that's advertised on the radio. I liked the fact that you cook your own meals. The reviews I've read were positive, and I suppose I am a testament that it works, having tried numerous diets in the past. The problem with those is that I had to buy shakes or meals, and the minute I got off them, the weight came back - and then some. Plus, the shakes are loaded with sugar, and I couldn't stop at one LOL! Glad as you are that we don't need to feel ashamed to be proud of ourselves!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic