The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-02-2018, 05:34 PM

Default Swapping tuners out multiple times

My ‘69 00-18 came with these replacement tuners on it that I’m not crazy about - since holes have been drilled and filled already on it is there anything I need to be wary of as regards drilling holes again for new tuners? Would I be able to put in something like open back Waverlys or would I need to go with something like the Gotoh 510’s?

IMG_2616.jpgIMG_2617.jpg
Old 08-02-2018, 06:04 PM

You would be surprised how many can be fitted and it still works fine.

Older photo (yr or two ago) - This photo shows it during the repair, guess what, the customer wanted new tuners fitted that were again a different drill pattern, so I personally fix all the holes first before I drill new ones and make it pretty-ish again

Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 08-02-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post

Older photo (yr or two ago) - This photo shows it during the repair, guess what, the customer wanted new tuners fitted that were again a different drill pattern, so I personally fix all the holes first before I drill new ones and make it pretty-ish again

Good to know, thank you!
Old 08-03-2018, 09:24 AM

Open back Waverlys (or similar tuners) should use the same bottom screw hole as the original Grover Rotomatics. You will have to drill an upper screw hole for most any kind of open back tuners.
You also will need to plug the shaft hole and redrill it smaller, or use Stew Mac conversion bushings. Standard bushings are usually 11/32" or smaller, while the 1970's Rotomatics are 3/8". Modern Rotomatics are even bigger (10mm), presumably because they are now made somewhere in Asia.
The current gold tuners look like Gotoh, which are also 10mm.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:42 AM

I guess I would try to find some nice tuners with the same hole pattern as original, and shaft size as what is there now, as a first choice from the "intrude as little as possible" point of view. I like the Gotoh SX510's, that's my first choice for a traditional style guitar. If the shaft hole was too oversize, I would plug and redrill on the basis that if I did it right it will be fully covered by the tuners and completely invisible.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Open back Waverlys (or similar tuners) should use the same bottom screw hole as the original Grover Rotomatics. You will have to drill an upper screw hole for most any kind of open back tuners.
You also will need to plug the shaft hole and redrill it smaller, or use Stew Mac conversion bushings. Standard bushings are usually 11/32" or smaller, while the 1970's Rotomatics are 3/8". Modern Rotomatics are even bigger (10mm), presumably because they are now made somewhere in Asia.
The current gold tuners look like Gotoh, which are also 10mm.
More good info, thank you!!
Old 08-03-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
I guess I would try to find some nice tuners with the same hole pattern as original, and shaft size as what is there now, as a first choice from the "intrude as little as possible" point of view. I like the Gotoh SX510's, that's my first choice for a traditional style guitar. If the shaft hole was too oversize, I would plug and redrill on the basis that if I did it right it will be fully covered by the tuners and completely invisible.
Yes, I was leaning towards the Gotoh SX510's, think that'll be the way to go all things considered.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:49 PM

What did you plug the holes with?

Tommy

Quote:

Old 08-14-2018, 06:43 PM

Maple

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 08-14-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Maple

Steve
Thanks for the reply Steve.

Some have suggested the use of "toothpicks" to fill the abandoned screw holes. I've also thought that the typical store bought toothpicks are too soft to do the job, especially if you need to re-drill the new holes pretty close to the old ones. Maple sounds a lot better.....

Thanks,

Tommy
Old 08-15-2018, 05:51 AM

Toothpicks are made from birch, which is a quite decent hardwood.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair