The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-25-2020, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Thank you for your service.

It is Memorial Day here in the states. To all the men and women who have been or still are members of the armed forces, thank you for your service.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 05-25-2020, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
It is Memorial Day here in the states. To all the men and women who have been or still are members of the armed forces, thank you for your service.
Thanks, indeed.

My neighbour two doors down is a Vietnam Vet, and a superb trumpet player. He was out on his patio at 3:00 this afternoon, as he is every Memorial Day, playing TAPS.

Magnificent, and meaningful.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-25-2020, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

I get the sense that there are quite a number of us Vietnam vets around here, so on behalf of any who haven't seen this thread....thanks! There are a lot who should have been here, but never made it home. I hope they are never forgotten.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-25-2020, 06:30 PM

Yes.

My boys and I took my mother to the cemetery were my dad's buried, and where there's also a section of confederate soldiers from the POW camp that was here.

We were concerned about the Jewish cemetery not having the flags like I always remembered but they were all over in the rest of the cemetary. That was a big deal to my dad and his contemporaries. I need to find out why and thought maybe who took care of that passed away. There might be a legit reason so I hesitated to ask in social media or where it could get out of hand. I want to make sure they're recognized in the future.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:31 PM

Another Vietnam Vet here and Desert Storm too.

Thank you for remembering those who served their country.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:33 PM

All of the big home improvement stores here give 10% discount to active and veterans.
When they see my ID, they always say thanks for your service.
I always say thanks for thanking me.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the sentiment; as a 3rd generation I veteran appreciate it. However, as a PSA there are those who get nearly militant over the distinction between Memorial Day and Veteran's Day. The first is for those who've passed away. The second is for all veterans living and dead.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post

This is Memorial Day--not Veterans Day.

This is the day to honor all US military personnel who have fallen, died, during wartime.

Veterans Day is the day to honor all of those who have served in the United States military.

Please understand the difference. It is important to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Memorial Day and Veteran's Day. The first is for those who've passed away. The second is for all veterans living and dead.
Note that the correct spelling is Veterans Day.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Thanks for the sentiment; as a 3rd generation I veteran appreciate it. However, as a PSA there are those who get nearly militant over the distinction between Memorial Day and Veteran's Day. The first is for those who've passed away. The second is for all veterans living and dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo View Post
This is Memorial Day--not Veterans Day.

This is the day to honor all US military personnel who have fallen, died, during wartime.

Veterans Day is the day to honor all of those who have served in the United States military.

Please understand the difference. It is important to do so.

Note that the correct spelling is Veterans Day.
I look forward to the day when we don’t have to remember those who have fallen. My wife and I were discussing this and we realized that nobody in our respective families died in any war though many served.

By the way, I am a pre Gulf War I US Navy veteran and my father and two of his brothers served in Navy during the Korean conflict. My maternal uncle and an aunt served in the US Air Force during the time of the US occupation of Okinawa. All came home after serving the lengths of their obligated active service. My wife’s grandfather and great uncle served in the Army in WWII in the Pacific theater. Her uncle was only 3 survivors of his unit and evaded capture by the Japanese. He talked of it only once to his son and it was just prior to his death. It was not something he cared to remember apparently.

I hate to say it, but we were fortunate. As a veteran I look upon having served as being the honor but not something I particularly feel entitled for recognition thereof. In fact, I feel like more people should serve so that they learn a little humility. It’s not an easy life and very few are gung ho about it because it can be a bit dehumanizing IME.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

They had a great Memorial day commemoration in
Marion Virginia this weekend...

-Mike
Old 05-26-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
All of the big home improvement stores here give 10% discount to active and veterans.
You must not shop at the HD in Gresham...

Visited our local little hardware store and met a wonderful 'nam vet. He wore his hat and jacket very proudly while being the most respectful people you'll find. He's a local but I don't yet have his name. Our primary reason for the hardware trip was to social our puppy a bit. This fellow just lost his 10 year old berner and fell in love with ours. She melted over him it was great. I plan to chat with the store owner and find out who he is.

Last edited by JCave; 05-26-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
They had a great Memorial day commemoration in
Marion Virginia this weekend...

-Mike
Beautiful Valkyrie!
Old 05-28-2020, 08:12 AM

I find that prices are better at Home Depot but their veterans discount policy is disjointed. Usually the clerk gives it to me "on the sly" when I show them that I have my veteran status on my driver's license.d

https://members.veteransadvantage.co.../home-depot-10

Lowe's policy is better (you can use it for online purchases and there's no $500 limit) but you have to register online.

https://www.lowes.com/l/store-servic...iscountProgram
Old 05-28-2020, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

The sales people at Guitar Center told me they have a 10% discount for veterans, but I always forget to ask for it. I just have never been in the habit of using my veteran status for discounts.

I don't think there is anything wrong with doing so, but it is an old habit from when you wouldn't dare tell people you had been in Vietnam. This whole "Thank you for your service" is a rather new (but certainly welcome) climate change for Vietnam veterans.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic