The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-25-2020, 04:09 PM

Default Neck joint

Would any of you find folks know what kind of neck to body joint a 70's Hondo H 18 have. It's a guitar my late brother in law had and I need to do a neck set so I can give his baby sister the guitar. It has a pretty good sound for a $100 plywood guitar and means the world to her.
TIA
Old 05-25-2020, 04:51 PM

There is a possibility that it has a dowelled joint, so my approach is to investigate. Exploratory surgery may include removing the whole fingerboard, removing part of the fingerboard to the 12th fret, or removing frets 14 through 16 and routing a 1/4" slot through middle of the fretboard. That should tell you if it is dowels or a dovetail.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:35 PM

Default A thought

Less invasive and a lot less appeal to the purist...a 'California reset'? Free the neck block and sides at the bottom and push/pull till the neck angle works and reassemble/repair as needed? OP mentioned it being a plywood guitar so no telling what turns up trying to free the neck for a legitimate reset.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:51 PM

Thank you. I've done the "California reset" before. Think I'm still trying clean my undies. :>) I'm going to have to think about this for awhile..
Regards,

TW
Old 05-25-2020, 07:57 PM

I had one guitar with two dowels in the heel, they were not even glued in. Removed the fretboard off the top and worked a warm spatula into the heel and side joint as it was glued. At one point I was able to rock the neck back and forth then pulled the neck off the body. Can't remember if the dowels stayed in the body or the neck. For a cheap method of securing a neck it wasn't bad.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:28 PM

I would not attempt a California neck set on a laminated guitar. IMHO, it involves too much chance of delamination on the back. There also is the issue of removing the binding with laminated sides.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:12 PM

I am thinking about removing the fretboard at least to see if it's a but joint or not. I think the plywood thing makes me the most uncomfortable. Thanks to everyone for your ideas, Please stay save.
TW

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair