The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

By the way the death count continues to be as high as it's ever been where I live. Maybe if I talk positively about it and show it a graph the deaths will subside.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-26-2020, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Some gyms though are being responsible and they have spread out there equipment and require a facemask. It's not too hard to do.
My club and others I've seen tend to pack their equipment pretty close so as to maximize floor space. Under normal operating conditions, members using equipment don't want to have to wait because there's not enough equipment - prior to February 2020, safe distancing from others wasn't even a consideration...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-26-2020, 04:50 PM

Our local YMCA re-opened today. I went there at 9 A.M.
it was just me and the worker bees. Had a great workout in the weight room
By the time I finished, there were two other folks in the other room where the machines are, that was it.
Yip, yip yahoo!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-26-2020, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
By the way the death count continues to be as high as it's ever been where I live. Maybe if I talk positively about it and show it a graph the deaths will subside.
Well, of course the death count will continue to increase. That's what counts do. It's the rate that's important, not the absolute number.

Not trying to make light of it in any way, but the stats here seem to suggest that Iowa's numbers are actually going in the right direction.

https://coronavirus.iowa.gov/pages/case-counts
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 05-27-2020 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 05-26-2020, 05:15 PM

CDC release new numbers on mortality rates...quite interesting if anyone wants to look. New York had its lowest death rate since early March at 73. It has been under 100 3 of the last 4 days. New hospitalizations for yesterday was 201 across a state with 19 million people.

I am an optimist and think this is great news. (BTW, CDC new mortality number is 0.26%).
Old 05-27-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
So, even if you one says that they would have died anyhow due some comorbidity, that's not really the case.
I can't agree with this.

In this case that I am referring to of, this person did NOT die from the virus, it had nothing to do with her passing. She was given days to live 2 weeks prior, and placed on comfort care. She tested a few times just as normal protocol, negative...

She was unresponsive and sedated several days prior to passing.

The day before she passed they told my friend that she tested + (not even a full day, the notice was given in the evening, she passed around 8:30 am.)

To count this as a coronavirus death is quite misleading at the very least.

And this is happening everywhere.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
I can't agree with this.

In this case that I am referring to of, this person did NOT die from the virus, it had nothing to do with her passing. She was given days to live 2 weeks prior, and placed on comfort care. She tested a few times just as normal protocol, negative...

The day before she passed they told my friend that she tested + (not even a full day, the notice was given in the evening, she passed around 8:30 am.)

If it was listed as a Covid death and she tested negative just prior then it is more than likely the exception, not the rule.
There have been children die from Covid in various locations also, but to state "this is happening everywhere" is also "misleading"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-27-2020, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I can't agree with this.

What evidence do you have that this is happening everywhere? Can you define everywhere? The US? Globally?
Old 05-27-2020, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Default A PPE success story

Our daughter has been treating COVID patients since early March. One day last month her team intubated 12 patients in a 12 hour shift.

Yesterday she got back her antibody test results. If they can be believed she has not been infected.

She has been trained both before and after the outbreak to be vigilant about PPE and sanitation, and it seems to be paying off. We are very thankful for her safety, so far.

Our other daughter was instrumental in bringing about a large donation of PPE from her company to the hospital where her sister works. That was also very gratifying to us.

If you want to know what life has been like for folks on the front lines here is a link to a story about her https://nhs.georgetown.edu/news-story/quirk/#
Old 05-27-2020, 09:08 AM

Great story Reeve. Thanks for posting.

All the best to you and your family.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 05-27-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I can't agree with this.

You are making HUGE assumptions. To label this “misleading” assumes a certain intent. “Overly thorough and might distort COVID19 death statistics IF it is happening on a wide scale,” makes fewer assumptions.

I want to respect your viewpoint. There are some legitimate reasons to sprinkle some grains of salt on any statistic. It is an overreaction to dump a cup of salt on death statistics based on one death certificate.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:17 AM

I've read a number of interviews, as well as watched a very compelling "sting" done by project veritas that convinced me that Covid is being put on death certificates where it doesn't belong.

To what extent? Unknown.

Is it making up for/balancing out real covid deaths that aren't actually being recorded? Unknown.

But it is certainly happening. How could it not?
Old 05-27-2020, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I've read a number of interviews, as well as watched a very compelling "sting" done by project veritas that convinced me that Covid is being put on death certificates where it doesn't belong.

To what extent? Unknown.

Is it making up for/balancing out real covid deaths that aren't actually being recorded? Unknown.

But it is certainly happening. How could it not?
By "how could it not", do you mean how could the occasional error not happen?

I looked into Project Veritas quickly online. I can't get into the details here but anyone can check media fact check and bias sites and get a vivid picture of their M.O. While they may offer some factual reporting, I would need independent confirmation of any reporting from them to accept any it as evidence of anything. Many of their "stings" have been thoroughly debunked. I did not easily find reference to the sting you refer to here.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:43 AM

My "how could it not" comment was absolutely making the point that at least SOME number of wrongful attributions of Covid will occur accidentally.

And project veritas absolutely, positively has a political bent. That is no secret and I wasn't trying to hoodwink anybody into thinking it didn't. I've followed their work for some time and while I don't necessarily agree with their bent - their "stings" generally appear extremely valid to me. It would take some EXTREME deep fake technology for them to get some of the footage they do without it being genuine.

Still, one or two or three healthcare workers discussing wrongful covid attributions whilst unaware they're on camera does not a conspiracy make. Additionally (and hypothetically), even a good handful of thousands of intentional misappropriations wouldn't really alter the statistics much. It would take a wide-scale conspiracy to make a big difference.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
My "how could it not" comment was absolutely making the point that at least SOME number of wrongful attributions of Covid will occur accidentally.

And project veritas absolutely, positively has a political bent. That is no secret and I wasn't trying to hoodwink anybody into thinking it didn't. I've followed their work for some time and while I don't necessarily agree with their bent - their "stings" generally appear extremely valid to me. It would take some EXTREME deep fake technology for them to get some of the footage they do without it being genuine.

Still, one or two or three healthcare workers discussing wrongful covid attributions whilst unaware they're on camera does not a conspiracy make.
Thank you, I agree there has to be some small degree of error on either side of the reporting, high and low, varying across municipalities and counties. Regarding Veritas, I didn't mean to suggest you were trying to fool anyone, I just wanted to express my reasons for not immediately accepting their reporting as valid evidence. I am certainly open to confirmation by other less polarized sources.

To be fair, I do suspect conspiratorial thinking around this subtopic, but it's only suspicion on my part. My radar goes up when people appear to (not you) unequivocally extrapolate anecdotes into wide ranging phenomena. Anecdotes are a great place to start asking questions, not a place to make sweeping assertions about something as expansive and fragmented as cause of death reporting globally.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic