The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-24-2020, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations! You earned it and now you get a chance to cross the finish line and reap the benefits of your work and dedication. Whenever I get that feeling that I'm not "doing" as in not doing my responsibilities etc. that was my life for sixty odd years I tell myself to accept my winnings. It's okay to cash in your chips and take a victory round. Hopefully it will last allot longer than a one time experience in retirement. Your new life experience will evolve and show itself if you let it and don't try to keep living your old life. Some can do it others can't. But it's all good just be open to go with what works for you.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-24-2020, 10:08 AM

Thumbs up

Welcome Spock, to the best club on the planet
Old 05-24-2020, 11:06 AM

I predict that you're going to miss the social status your title confers, and by this time next year you'll be back working part-time in your previous profession.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Congrats and best wishes with your retirement. I have a couple of co-workers who've taken this situation as an opportunity to make the leap. Enjoy this next chapter of life.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations. You have a great plan, a positive attitude and solid relationships. You're all set so enjoy it!
Old 05-25-2020, 05:00 PM

Thanks for all of the kind words and encouragement - I do genuinely appreciate it.

I have been truly blessed to achieve retirement age in good health with a strong marriage - my wife is also my best friend - and no debt. I do not take that for granted, nor plan to anytime soon. My wife and I live simply - by choice - and while true joy comes from within and I've long been cultivating an attitude of gratitude, a healthy respect for and daily maintenance of the miraculous body I've been endowed with, and personally opting to choose to have a great day each and every day when I awaken despite events that sometimes occur beyond our control, I'm fully aware that none of us is promised another moment on this earth and I'm trying hard to be better at savoring the small everyday miracles that I encounter each and every day but sometimes fail to notice due to looking ahead instead of around. As an older wiser gentleman once told me about the keys to an engaged life, "Pay attention, be amazed, and tell about it." I'm hoping eliminating the day to day pressures and stresses of my work world will help with that transformation.

Quote:
I predict that you're going to miss the social status your title confers, and by this time next year you'll be back working part-time in your previous profession

Very little chance of that. Medicine is not what it was when I started 37 years ago and without going off on a separate tangent, suffice it to say I'm glad to be getting out when I am.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:38 PM

Location: 4 miles from Abbey Road, 5 miles from Page's Gibson(maybe), 120 miles from the Richards's mansion(I think)
Smile

As someone who took redundancy a few years back and then found myself with a lot of time between empoyment, I can confirm that your patient's idea of creating a fixed daily schedule of activities is probably a good idea, particularly if that is how you organised your time when you were in employment.

In my case having the self disclpine to actually stick to the schedule was an issue because there was no longer anyone or organisation to be responsible to.

But sitting round waiting for inspiration to strike may be not the best way for a lot of people to cope with retirement/unemployment.

One annoying paradox I found about being unemployed is that I actually spent more money than when I had a desk to chain me.

Anyway it sounds like you have worked hard for a long time so good luck in finding activities that you enjoy.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:58 PM

I have been social distancing since I retired two years ago. Love it! I have my shop in the back yard and plenty of projects for me to work on. Plus I started trying to play stringed instruments. Started with a mandolin and this year working on a six string. Society is much better off not being near my playing ; )
Old 05-27-2020, 06:19 AM

I took an early retirement package a number of years ago after 32 years with the same company. I had no intention to retire as I still had two kids to get through college. I knew my experience meant I would have a fairly easy time getting a job in my field, which I did.

But I was off for 7 months waiting for the Company I ultimately went to work for to complete some internal maneuvering to fit me in.

I was bored to tears. And I have plenty of interests. But every day seemed to drag.

Now, I’ve got 22 months until my planned date which will take me past 65. Yes, some days are a grind, but I like what I do.

Best of luck! 65 is the new 45!!
Old 05-27-2020, 07:51 AM

The time to retire is when your line of “do I have enough” intersects with your line of “I’ve had enough”. Then you pull the pin!

I retired 4 years ago and haven’t looked back. I will never forget the feeling driving off the ground of our headquarters and the immense liberating feeling I had. Never again did I have to hassle with company politics, budgets, boring and unproductive meetings, personnel issues, etc. I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face. Happiest time of my life.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:33 PM

TODAY'S the day! How was your last day?
Old 05-27-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdinterman View Post
The time to retire is when your line of “do I have enough” intersects with your line of “I’ve had enough”. Then you pull the pin!
I like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock View Post
....Very little chance of that. Medicine is not what it was when I started 37 years ago and without going off on a separate tangent, suffice it to say I'm glad to be getting out when I am.
I hear that sentiment from several MD and PA friends I have that are now retired. I'm at the 37 year point in my career too, and I can see the end in sight.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:54 PM

Good thread. I just contacted HR today and told them I will be gone by the end of August. Due to Covid-19 I’ve been working from home and going into work on alternating days so there is no time like the present to shut it down completely.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! You sound well-prepared for a good retirement. I wish you the best!
Old 05-27-2020, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Congrats!

My retirement has been pushed back to the end of the year. I'm looking forward to it.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic