The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-21-2020, 01:52 PM

Default Tripod for Binoculars / Telescopes

I'd like to get a tripod for my binoculars and I know nothing about tripods. I'm using my binoculars to look at the ocean and the stars from my living room window. Some points:
  • Tripod will be setup in my living room and will rarely move
  • The times it does move it will be to my backyard
  • My Celestion Skymaster binoculars have a tripod adaptor
  • Would like something that could also be used for a telescope if I end up getting one (assuming the same tripod can be used for both?)
  • Budget depends on recommendations but under $100 Canadian is my aim. Don't want something too cheap that will break so I'm not considering the $35 Amazon Basics unless I get good reviews here.

Your thoughts?
Old 05-21-2020, 02:03 PM

Aren't tripods the same for cameras and binoculars? Maybe just a different head? I found an old heavy Bogen several years ago. Last I checked parts are still available. Sure hate carrying that thing.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

A decent camera tripod will work well for terrestrial viewing. But it will not work well for binocular astronomy due to the location of the eyepieces when the binoculars are pointing up into the sky. There are binocular mounts for astronomy that quite clever in their designs, but somewhat expensive. A simple solution (mount-free) is to use a lawn chair with your binos. Unless they are 80mm or larger, that can work very well.

Also, a camera tripod will not be sufficient for all but the smallest telescopes (60 mm objective lens/mirror diameter). In any event, you should buy a mount for the telescope when you buy the telescope, as you may want features that are only available with telescope mounts (e.g., equatorial, computer finder, motion controls).
Old 05-21-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
A decent camera tripod will work well for terrestrial viewing. But it will not work well for binocular astronomy due to the location of the eyepieces when the binoculars are pointing up into the sky. There are binocular mounts for astronomy that quite clever in their designs, but somewhat expensive. A simple solution (mount-free) is to use a lawn chair with your binos. Unless they are 80mm or larger, that can work very well.

Also, a camera tripod will not be sufficient for all but the smallest telescopes (60 mm objective lens/mirror diameter). In any event, you should buy a mount for the telescope when you buy the telescope, as you may want features that are only available with telescope mounts (e.g., equatorial, computer finder, motion controls).
Great post, thank-you. I had read that a camera tripod wouldn't be sufficient for sky viewing due to the angle.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:56 PM

I hate to be an elitist - but frankly, $100 doesn't get you anything good.

Manfrotto is pretty decent, and you can skip the carbon fiber option if you will rarely carry the tripod. The lever action pistol grip ball head is really nice for adjustments. You'll be a good handful of $100 bills deep in this setup.

Really Right Stuff is fantastic equipment - but also $$$

In the $100 zone, I'd just buy whatever has the most stars on Amazon.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:21 PM

I looked around for a decent used Manfrotto 3046, and found one for just over 100 dollars, without a head. Great tripod, and buying a used one saved a ton.

I didn't need a head as I was using it with a gimbal setup; but heads are also available. Strong as a tank, and if you aren't moving it, the weight isn't an issue. In this picture, the center column is all the way down, and extends much higher.

This how it is extended, with a head I did add later, and a "hang bag" setup I made to add a weight:

Last edited by Jim W; 05-22-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:27 PM

Wow - I didn't realize that tripods came that beefy and big. I guess you need it for heavyweight gear though. What's the 'head' you speak of? Guessing it's the top but does that not come with all tripods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
I looked around for a decent used Manfrotto 3046, and found one for just over 100 dollars, without a head. Great tripod, and buying a used one saved a ton.

I didn't need a head as I was using it with a gimbal setup; but heads are also available. Strong as a tank, and if you aren't moving it, the weight isn't an issue. In this picture, the center column is all the way down, and extends much higher.

<<snippet pic>>

This how it is extended, with a head I did add later, and a "hang bag" setup I made to add a weight:

<<snippet pics>>
Old 05-22-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Wow - I didn't realize that tripods came that beefy and big. I guess you need it for heavyweight gear though. What's the 'head' you speak of? Guessing it's the top but does that not come with all tripods?

The head attaches to the top of the tripod, and holds the camera, with the adjusting handles. The black part I have my hand on in the photo. I bought that head, also used, for $30 as I recall. This is the 3/8 thread on the tripod that acceptes the head, or the gimbal mount seen in the photo with the camera in it:

Old 05-22-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I hate to be an elitist - but frankly, $100 doesn't get you anything good.

Manfrotto is pretty decent, and you can skip the carbon fiber option if you will rarely carry the tripod. The lever action pistol grip ball head is really nice for adjustments. You'll be a good handful of $100 bills deep in this setup.

Really Right Stuff is fantastic equipment - but also $$$

In the $100 zone, I'd just buy whatever has the most stars on Amazon.
But if it's being used just for viewing, does it really need to be expensive? I understand to be stable for photography or even telescopes to some extent, but for binoculars?
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 05-22-2020, 04:50 PM

This video might be of interest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKNp4WoVGgA
Old 05-22-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCave View Post
This video might be of interest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKNp4WoVGgA
Thanks! I just watched it. I was able to follow along and find the cover to my adapter on my binoculars ... I didn't realize the cap just screws off. I'll have to get my adapter and try it out - I still have the original box in a closet.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
But if it's being used just for viewing, does it really need to be expensive? I understand to be stable for photography or even telescopes to some extent, but for binoculars?
8X binoculars are the equivalent of a 400mm lens on a full-frame (or 35mm) camera. Stability is just as much a challenge for binoculars.

I’ve got an 10x monocular which is quite hard to manage without something to lean on.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-22-2020, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

I've owned a few over the years for photography and a spotting scope for target shooting. Stability can be important for some applications where breeze is a factor. If so, an inexpensive (Dollar Tree/Home Depot) carabiner is great for hanging your backpack/camelback underneath. Added weight helps a lot.

Compact and light weight can be important if you're hiking with it. In that case, height (or lack of it) might enter into the equation if you end up crouching to get at the eyepieces.

You know anyone with a cheapie you can borrow for a couple days? Anything might happen:

- Recognize the shortcomings and decide to pay up for specific features.
- Realize that it works great for binocular viewing.
- How quickly can you deploy it from fully closed to open and working?

I meet plenty of people tromping around with tripods at the wetlands, wildlife sanctuaries and waterfall hikes I frequent. Unless they are actively busy spotting or taking pictures, none would mind a couple questions about what they like/dislike in a tripod.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
8X binoculars are the equivalent of a 400mm lens on a full-frame (or 35mm) camera. Stability is just as much a challenge for binoculars.

I’ve got an 10x monocular which is quite hard to manage without something to lean on.
Yea, my binoculars don't feel heavy (15x70) but after you hold them up for a 30 seconds ... shaky. I always put one tip of the binoculars on my window (the window, not the sill) and that serves as my anchor/pivot point. No shaking and I can quickly scan. But I figure a tripod would serve me better.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I'd like to get a tripod for my binoculars and I know nothing about tripods. I'm using my binoculars to look at the ocean and the stars from my living room window. Some points:
  • Tripod will be setup in my living room and will rarely move
  • The times it does move it will be to my backyard
  • My Celestion Skymaster binoculars have a tripod adaptor
  • Would like something that could also be used for a telescope if I end up getting one (assuming the same tripod can be used for both?)
  • Budget depends on recommendations but under $100 Canadian is my aim. Don't want something too cheap that will break so I'm not considering the $35 Amazon Basics unless I get good reviews here.

Your thoughts?
Thoughts?

Don't waste you money on something that cheap and flimsy. What's the point of a tripod if you end up with motion blur? Especially so, if you may consider putting a telescope on it.

Last edited by Jeff Scott; 05-25-2020 at 06:50 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic