Old 05-17-2020, 01:14 PM

Default Also in Washington State

Short answer:
No.

My little Jazz Trio played regularly at half dozen assisted-living facilities,
which of course, are shut down.

The leader of our band has not received any requests for our services,
nor has he put out any feelers.

We are open to playing an outdoor patio gig if asked (current official guidelines to be adhered to of course)
and are talking about doing one “for fun” on the guitar players deck sometime.

But we are pretty clear that gigs as we knew them are pretty much done for the foreseeable future.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:37 AM

I was at our farmer’s market this Saturday, meeting a friend to return his guitar after doing some setup work. I also had brought my latest build with me to show him.

I sat in the parking lot playing my guitar to pass time while waiting. I had a number of folks come by and tip me - which was not my intent. I’d say people are hungry for music and recognize musicians are hurting.

They are supposed to discuss adding music back to the market at their board meeting this week. I don’t think it will return for a while yet, as they don’t want the market to be a social event.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:21 AM

Heard back from one farmers market that I played at last year. They have cancelled all music for this year. It was a sparsely attended market, not a huge number of vendors, so I'm not surprised., Many farms around here are now doing 'farm shares' - where people pay for a box of (unspecified) produce via cc then pick it up. Lots of advantages for the farms this way.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-21-2020, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Default Opening Up? And a rant...

Just curious if anyone else's states are opening like Texas. Some of the venues are having live music again starting this weekend. Of course, there are restrictions, but it is happening.

I quit playing music professionally in 1982 and, except for church, didn't play out until 2011. Since then, I've put a quartet together and we play the venues in my small hometown. We play 90% covers of old songs and a few of my originals.

One thing I found that hasn't changed since my days of playing full-time is club owners. Lack of response being the main thing. With communication as easy as it is, how hard is it to respond to a text or email?

Oh well...

I'm looking forward to playing live again. That is, if these dang club owners will call me back!

stuff

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.
Jim Morrison
Old 05-21-2020, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

I posted a thread about this. Sorry - didn't mean to duplicate.

Texas is opening back up gradually. But, it looks like they're doing it without us. Oh well.

stuff

Jim Morrison
Old 05-21-2020, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Remember the governments open or closed rules have no bearing on the C-19 virus. It's still very active and the infected and the death rates are still mounting.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-21-2020, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Remember the governments open or closed rules have no bearing on the C-19 virus. It's still very active and the infected and the death rates are still mounting.
Then stay home.

stuff

Jim Morrison
Old 05-21-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
Then stay home.
Thanks, we intend to. Covid fears aside, we discovered that eating in has cut our food and gasoline expenses substantially.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Thanks, we intend to. Covid fears aside, we discovered that eating in has cut our food and gasoline expenses substantially.
yeah, but the dirty dishes and trash sure builds up fast...
Old 05-21-2020, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Gasoline, yes. But I got three extra tenants with the quarantine who eat like horses.

stuff

Jim Morrison
Old 05-21-2020, 12:37 PM

Hondo, hiring talent/entertainment is way down the list on owners of bars and restaurants to do list. Well, except for a certain type of entertainment. A lot of the places you use to play probably won't reopen. Those low paying gigs of the past might look real good this summer in some regions. On the coast 80% of restaurant jobs are gone. Close to a million entertainment jobs are gone.

In Cali our state and local government keeps changing the bar/restaurant rules, but based on the latest announcements restaurants are looking at 25 pages of "if we reopen" new regulations that essentially say what ever your approved occupancy is, cut it in half. Things we use to do will end: no bread plates, no salt and pepper shakers, single use menu, no salad bar, no nachos (WHAT!), no oil and vinegar dipping, no shared plates. Some cities are willing to allow outdoor seating on sidewalks or parking areas BUT that will depend on the risk a landlord is willing to take/and his insurance company is willing to approve. In Los Angeles if you open outside the rules the city will cut off your water and power...and that's not a threat, they have done it. LA County estimates we are still weeks if not months to even looking at unlocking the world. The idea of a 4th of July reset was tested last week an got kicked around like world cup soccer ball. I wish I had good news because I want to return to the summer of 2019 but that thought seems be disappearing faster than a 21 point lead against Tom Brady with a quarter to play.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Our gasoline costs have definitely gone down. We still get a lot of takeout but it’s generally less expensive than what we would spend dining out in a restaurant.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-21-2020, 12:59 PM

I posted my news from Cali on Hondo's post on this topic.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Parsing your language, this is not quite true. The running totals are rising (as they must) but the infection and recovery rates appear to be falling in many locations. Some numbers put the recovery rate for confirmed cases at ~99% if you are under age 60. And many rural counties have very few or even no cases. Now I'm out - I have no wish to open a heated debate.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
Hondo, hiring talent/entertainment is way down the list on owners of bars and restaurants to do list. Well, except for a certain type of entertainment. A lot of the places you use to play probably won't reopen. Those low paying gigs of the past might look real good this summer in some regions. On the coast 80% of restaurant jobs are gone. Close to a million entertainment jobs are gone.

In Cali our state and local government keeps changing the bar/restaurant rules, but based on the latest announcements restaurants are looking at 25 pages of "if we reopen" new regulations that essentially say what ever your approved occupancy is, cut it in half. Things we use to do will end: no bread plates, no salt and pepper shakers, single use menu, no salad bar, no nachos (WHAT!), no oil and vinegar dipping, no shared plates. Some cities are willing to allow outdoor seating on sidewalks or parking areas BUT that will depend on the risk a landlord is willing to take/and his insurance company is willing to approve. In Los Angeles if you open outside the rules the city will cut off your water and power...and that's not a threat, they have done it. LA County estimates we are still weeks if not months to even looking at unlocking the world. The idea of a 4th of July reset was tested last week an got kicked around like world cup soccer ball. I wish I had good news because I want to return to the summer of 2019 but that thought seems be disappearing faster than a 21 point lead against Tom Brady with a quarter to play.
That's unfortunate. It looks like the reopening is working in Texas, so I'm hopeful. I hope things get better for y'all in CA.

stuff

Jim Morrison

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic