The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-30-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spivey View Post
So, you guys have no sense of humor? Sorry if I elevated your blood pressure.
I’m not mad. I just don’t understand the logic. Isn’t every team supposed to try their hardest every game, every season, to win it all?
It seems like some people want the Pats to stop trying to win only because they’ve done it too often.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
I’m not mad. I just don’t understand the logic. Isn’t every team supposed to try their hardest every game, every season, to win it all?
It seems like some people want the Pats to stop trying to win only because they’ve done it too often.
I don't think anyone wants them to stop trying. We're just ready for them to start losing. It's not like the other teams in the league who have NOT had a 20 year dynasty fell short of that lofty standard because they weren't trying. All credit to the Patriots for an amazing run. They should go down with all guns blazing, but just as you want them to keep winning, I'd rather they stop. I'm tired of it - I'm not saying they should be or you should be...
Old 12-30-2019, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop47 View Post
So no, we're not all like that, and I'm guessing not all Eagles fans would throw snowballs at Santa Claus either.
I was not in Philly then - I was a little kid from Baltimore who loved the Colts and was busy having my heart broken by Joe Namath. But having lived here for 25 years and talking to a lot of lifers, my clear understanding is that Santa had it coming...

Quote:
That Eagles team had a great, gutsy run. (When the Super Bowl pairing was set, I remember a young - again with the young - colleague crowing about how the Eagles didn't stand a chance. Right, I said, when has a team with a back up quarterback come in and upset the hottest offense in the league? Oh yeah, 2001 Pats over the Rams.)
I didn't think the Eagles had a chance after Wentz went down in December. Before that I thought they were odds on to win the Super Bowl. But when he went down, I thought they had no shot, given how bad Foles looked in his first few games. Then after that Minnesota blow out, where Foles turned into God, I figured the Eagles would dominate the Pats. I was surprised it took holding on at the end to win it. They weren't a fluke - they were incredibly an incredibly dominant team all year. It was an amazing game to watch and I'm glad the Pats gave them that much of a fight - it meant more to beat the best at their best, or close to it. But they weren't a young team about to go on a run of dominance - most of our really good guys that year were in their primes and have gotten old quickly, and mostly hurt a lot too.

Quote:
Ray - Belated congratulations from a Pats fan and good luck this post-season.
Thanks, appreciate it! But we have no business BEING in the post-season this year. I guess anything can happen, and our practice squad has done an amazing job of rising to the occasion, albeit against mostly terrible competition. I think there's an outside chance we beat Seattle, but if we do, that's it - I don't see us being competitive with anyone else still standing in the NFC. Hope I'm wrong. And I'm glad you folks had a great run, but I'm gonna have trouble wishing you and your team luck in the post season for a while to come yet. Maybe once this is well and truly over and they suck for a few years, I'll be ready to be happy for the Pats again. But I just can't do it right now...

But I can still wish you and all other Pats fans a Happy New Year!

-Ray
Old 12-30-2019, 06:22 PM

The difference between pre-season predictions and actual results is pretty interesting. Listed below are the number of wins above or below the pre-season predictions that were published by 538.com.

Baltimore +6 (i.e., six more wins than predicted)
San Francisco +6
Green Bay +5
Kansas City +2
New Orleans +2
Seattle +2
Houston +2
Buffalo +2
New England +1
Minnesota +1
Tennessee +1
Oakland +1
Indianapolis 0 (i.e., same number of wins as predicted)
Denver 0
NY Jets 0
Tampa Bay 0
Arizona 0
Miami 0
LA Rams -1 (i.e., one fewer wins than predicted)
Philadelphia -1
Pittsburgh -1
Chicago -1
Dallas -1
Atlanta -1
Cleveland -2
Jacksonville -2
NY Giants -2
Carolina -3
Washington -3
Detroit -4
Cincinnati -4
LA Chargers -5

Obviously, Baltimore, San Francisco and Green Bay performed well above expectations. Detroit, Cincinnati and LA Chargers performed well below expectations.

Dallas, whom everyone seems to think was a colossal bust, only had one fewer wins than predicted, the same as Philadelphia. New England actually had one more win than predicted.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbintegrity View Post
Wow That 49's / Seattle game was looking rather blah for the first half... 2nd half was a bit more exciting. IMHO Seattle should've one that... only because of the missed call of PI and that delay of game in the last seconds... sigh
It was looking all 49'rs for awhile, Russell Wilson looked like a different players between the 1st and 2nd.... turned out to be a good game....
Indeed! Very good game. Rooting for my Hawks, but hat's off to San Fran. Now it's a new season. Seattle at Philly should be another great game. Philly is tough and has found a way to win with so many starters out.... ala the Hawks. I like the fact neither team uses injuries as an excuse.

All the teams in it have a chance. I do believe it will be either KC or Baltimore against San Fran or New Orleans... although I'm hoping it's the Hawks!

So many great players making great, amazing plays. Kittle, Brees, Mahones, Wilson, Henry, Jackson, Wentz, Diggs, Rogers, et Al..... going to be a fun post season.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:52 PM

Hard to believe that the Patriots performed above expectations according to this pre-season prediction (+1).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
The difference between pre-season predictions and actual results is pretty interesting. Listed below are the number of wins above or below the pre-season predictions that were published by 538.com.

Baltimore +6 (i.e., six more wins than predicted)
San Francisco +6
Green Bay +5
Kansas City +2
New Orleans +2
Seattle +2
Houston +2
Buffalo +2
New England +1
Minnesota +1
Tennessee +1
Oakland +1
Indianapolis 0 (i.e., same number of wins as predicted)
Denver 0
NY Jets 0
Tampa Bay 0
Arizona 0
Miami 0
LA Rams -1 (i.e., one fewer wins than predicted)
Philadelphia -1
Pittsburgh -1
Chicago -1
Dallas -1
Atlanta -1
Cleveland -2
Jacksonville -2
NY Giants -2
Carolina -3
Washington -3
Detroit -4
Cincinnati -4
LA Chargers -5

Obviously, Baltimore, San Francisco and Green Bay performed well above expectations. Detroit, Cincinnati and LA Chargers performed well below expectations.

Dallas, whom everyone seems to think was a colossal bust, only had one fewer wins than predicted, the same as Philadelphia. New England actually had one more win than predicted.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
So, you guys have no sense of humor? Sorry if I elevated your blood pressure.

I guess the same “jokes” get old year after year. Many think that we Pats fans are spoiled, and maybe we are. But we do deal with constant hating, and it can be exhausting.

I’ll enjoy the fact that I’ll get to see the Pats this Saturday, even if it’s for the last time this season. But I do think the Chiefs will take it all this year.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Other than a deluxe certificate suitable for framing, the only thing shareholders get is the opportunity to vote at the annual shareholders meeting
A build on Dr. Spivey's comment - shareholders of the Green Bay Packers also get free admission to the Shareholders meeting at Lambeau Field, essentially a 2 hour July afternoon love-fest for the green 'n gold. I got to enjoy it (along with food and a lovely tour about the stadium) with my kids in 2013.

The Shareholder Certificate is also considered a key part of an authentic "Packer Shrine", an essential element of many homes in and near Green Bay.

The team is certainly overly romanticized, and in the end of course it is a business proposition. But the love of the Packers in the Green Bay community is something special - bordering on fanatical - that I have not seen the likes of anywhere else in America. There are many awesome examples of team passion in many places, but this seems unique in US sports.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:54 PM

Default Oakland, L.A., Las Vegas,....and where ever the money stops next...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCave View Post
Raiders have played their last game in Oakland, moving to Vegas next year. Wow!!! All these team moves, still can't get used to LA Chargers....
Interesting side note...County of Alameda sold their shares to the Oakland A's for the stadium. Looks like the A's will build a new water front stadium and use the coliseum while it's under construction...but no NFL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic