The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-28-2000, 02:17 AM

I am a HARD core PRS guy and happen to hang out and moderate the PRS Forum.

Click on "My Gear" to see them, click on either of the mp3.com links to hear them!

------------------
Scott Peterson

Marilyn Mack Group
Marilyn Mack Group MP3.Com Site
My Personal MP3.Com Site
Dirty Cow Records
My Gear

"Sleeping and eating were never as important to me (as playing the guitar)."
Chet Atkins
Old 12-28-2000, 12:31 PM

Cool

I could step off real deep on this subject owning quite a few electrics. I own stuff from a 10th ann. PRS to a harmony les paul copy. My favorite has to be my 60 les paul. The second place has to go to my Heritage H-150 cm (have 2 of these) and third place goes to my SRV strat. all are very differant guitars but these are my three favorites. I like the PRS but it is rarely played because Im a big les paul fan. The SRV is used when I need a real powerhouse axe and with its texas special pickups it delivers. I have many other fine electrics and most are worth quite a bit but another one of my favorites is a Epiphone Joe Pass Archtop jazz guitar that I caught on sale for 499.00 new. list was like 1150.00 Although inexpensive with nothing more than a pickup upgrade it has become a real player and a very good one at that. I know it came right out of the Sammik factory but it is a very good guitar. I like my PRS but more in a collector sort of way but id rather play my 60 les Paul. Now if I could get Carlos Santana to give me some private lessons the PRS might make the top three.
Old 12-28-2000, 11:32 PM

Don't forget those guitar GALS out there, too!
I have a Parker Fly Classic that is nice. The neck feels familiar......
Also a PRS Archtop II. Dreamy.
A TexMex Strato second (finish owie) that I picked up real cheap and sounds great.
Then I also have a Taylor AB-1 and a Ken Smith 5 string bass to play around on.
Happy New Year!

Old 01-08-2001, 07:23 PM
twosteper1

Right now I only have one electric a 1983 Peavey T-60 How many of you have played one of these??
Old 01-12-2001, 01:38 AM

I love my fat tele! It's the first electric I've owned since high school (30 years ago).I got it a couple of years ago, and found myself playing virtually nothing but that for months. I've since recovered, but still pick up the tele at least weekly.
Old 01-18-2001, 02:58 AM

Wink

My '99 Natural Ash Amer Standard Tele. It really is one of the easiest playing and best sounding tele's and a real delight.
Old 01-18-2001, 03:12 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.
PRS Rosewood necked McCarty soapbar standard, Melancon P 90 artist, Gibson LP 59 Re-Issue, and awaiting a Baker B1 59.
Old 03-05-2001, 02:34 PM

PRS CU-24
Old 03-05-2001, 08:05 PM

Cool

Hagstrom semi-hollow double f-hole from 1973 (very playable neck, but getting old -- like me) and an Epiphone LP standard are my electrics....but then again, I'm a relative newcomer to multiple guitars and most of these folks seem to have major $ in guitar collections. Still awaiting my first Taylor (2001 510), hope tomorrow is the day
Old 03-06-2001, 01:19 AM

I love my Gibson LP 59 Reissue for rockin' out. My PRS Hollobody II w/ piezo delivers a very pure "guitar" sound but can also get down pretty well if you stomp on a pedal. My Anderson Hollow Cobra w/ piezo can do just about anything and has a satin finish neck just like my Taylor. Strats are cool but the necks are too skinny for my taste.
Old 03-06-2001, 02:06 PM

PRS Custom 22 and PRS CE-24

World's best electrics
Old 03-06-2001, 05:34 PM

HMMMM...no Rickenbacher fans out there?!?!
Old 05-24-2001, 02:57 PM

1966 Gibson ES-345 with flat-wire 11's.

When I'm playing it, I'm a much better player than on any other guitar I've tried.
Old 05-27-2001, 12:57 PM

"Preferred electric?" This is a very individual question, and of course there is no right answer for everyone. For me, I've owned a dozen Strats, including a Custom Shop '54 RI that was really nice; a bunch of Teles (the Tex-Mex Fat Strat was sweet); several PRS guitars, and a couple of Gibson Les Pauls, plus assorted off brands (ESP Strat was the best of that lot). They are all history now.

Several years ago I played a Tom Anderson Classic, basically Tom's recreation of a '62 Strat, and was blown away. He does his own pickups, stacked humbuckers, that can be dialed in as single coils or stacked humbuckers. The single coils have more fat tone than any I have played, by a huge margin. Great clean sound, wonderful distorted. Very nice neck shape, fatter than a Fender, not too fat - just right. Overall the Anderson is a complet package with great tone and wonderful workmanship - to me at least, these guitars are the holy grail of solid body electrics. Nothing that I have played compares. After I bought the Anderson, I played it for a while, then over time eventually got rid of all my other electrics. They just don't hold up in a comparison to the Anderson, and I found myself playing only the Anderson and thinking of the rest of the stuff as very nice, but lacking and why would I want to play them when the Anderson is sitting there on the stand.

If you are looking around, the Andersons are well worth considering. He makes some true "art" guitars with drop tops, etc., similar in flash to PRS, but I prefer the more basice alder/rosewood Strat style, which he calls a "Classic". I want tone, not flash. To each his own. Here's a link to the Tom Anderson netsite. Tom Anderson Guitarworks
Old 06-02-2001, 09:40 PM

Update to my earlier post,

sold the Jimmie Vaughan, bought a Tex Mex, and a California Series Strat. These are basically the same, texmex pups, vintage tuners, maple necks. Nice guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification